Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease and carpet cleaning

Options
  • 30-06-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm about to renew a lease for a 12 month period and have been given an updated wording to sign. It's much more in depth than the previous lease but the landlord said it's a standard wording.

One of the newer parts I'm not sure about and have never seen in a lease before is that we will have the carpets/curtains professionally cleaned when we move out. The house is a newish build (around 6 years old) and carpeted from top to toe in a beige/cream carpet which is difficult to keep clean in spite of our best efforts. It wasn't clean when we got it but we've maintained it as best we can and the landlord has so far been happy with how we've taken care of the house.

It's a big house and I have a feeling that getting the carpets cleaned would run very expensive. Is this becoming a standard requirement in leases? Obviously if we spilled red wine or hair dye etc. all over it I'd get it cleaned but I was under the impression that general everyday use was expected (as in, we wouldn't have to get the carpets shampooed from top to bottom).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDBBBYYYEEEEE deposit. Professional cleaning = your entire deposit will be "used" to clean the carpets.
    It wasn't clean when we got it
    Ah, but your deposit will be "used" to ensure it is for the next lot.

What other dodyy bits did he add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KatMc

Haha, well the new lease is twice the length of the old one (printed-pages-wise) so the additions have been substantial. I must say that our original lease was fairly sparse though.

The new additions include: carpet cleaning, curtain cleaning, regular and pre-move out window cleaning (we are 'blessed' with many inaccessible velux windows!), no posters etc. on any of the walls, regular gutter cleaning and more standard additions.

As landlords go he's been a good guy so far and we haven't had any hassles on either side. We asked for a small rent reduction at renewal which we got. We haven't signed the new lease yet so there is still time to negotiate it, I was just wondering if the carpet cleaning etc. was becoming standard practice that I'd have to take on the chin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

KatMc wrote: »
    Haha, well the new lease is twice the length of the old one (printed-pages-wise) so the additions have been substantial. I must say that our original lease was fairly sparse though.

The new additions include: carpet cleaning, curtain cleaning, regular and pre-move out window cleaning (we are 'blessed' with many inaccessible velux windows!), no posters etc. on any of the walls, regular gutter cleaning and more standard additions.

As landlords go he's been a good guy so far and we haven't had any hassles on either side. We asked for a small rent reduction at renewal which we got. We haven't signed the new lease yet so there is still time to negotiate it, I was just wondering if the carpet cleaning etc. was becoming standard practice that I'd have to take on the chin?

tell him to shove the lease seems hes putting in provisions to keep your desposit if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What benefit is there for you in signing this lease? I can see none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KatMc

What benefit is there for you in signing this lease? I can see none.

We have nowhere to live when our current lease expires in about a week! So, the carpet cleaning (just noticed re-reading it also mentions professionally cleaning all upholstery!) is a bit heavy handed - are the other conditions re. the gutters etc. fair? I'm asking because there is nothing of that nature in the current lease so I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You should take advice from Threshold or a solicitor in this situation, but in brief, once you have been in the property for 6 months, you can remain there for another three years and six months, and you can be asked to leave during that time only under very limited circumstances. He can't make you sign a lease, certainly not one with new clauses.

See http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240 - section about security of tenure.

He cannot put you out on the road when the lease expires. He would have to serve notice, and the notice would have to be for a proper reason and properly served.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

KatMc wrote: »
    We have nowhere to live when our current lease expires in about a week! So, the carpet cleaning (just noticed re-reading it also mentions professionally cleaning all upholstery!) is a bit heavy handed - are the other conditions re. the gutters etc. fair? I'm asking because there is nothing of that nature in the current lease so I don't know.

no its not fair. general property maintenance is not your concern. If he wants to clean the gutters he should do it himself.

its not like your the one dirtying them is it ?

whats next boiler must be serviced :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I wouldn't sign the lease - wait for it to expire next week and you move into part 4 tenancy. this gives you more rights and means you dont have to sign that ridiculous lease.

Even if you do want a lease, dont sign that one, the LL is effectively making you pay for a full overhaul of the apartment if you decide to leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell him you want the rent reduced by the amount it will cost to do "carpet cleaning (just noticed re-reading it also mentions professionally cleaning all upholstery!) is a bit heavy handed - are the other conditions re. the gutters etc."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Tell whoever this fella is to take a bloody hike. General wear and tear is NOT part of a lease.

As the other poster said, if he wants clean gutters, he needs to do it himself.

Professional cleaning of curtains & upholstery?? Is he off his head? Not a chance mate.

I agree that if you spilt red wine, or accidental put your foot through the oven door, then yes, that would fall to you.

Do NOT sign that lease, he is totally chancing his arm.

Cleaning the windows. I know you probably clean them anyway, but again, this is not down to you. He is trying to make you pay for the work needed before another tenant moves in nest time round.

If you don't agree with these posts, then please ask a solicitor for advice or the above suggestion of asking threshold

Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement