Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good val restuarants

Options
  • 30-06-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

Hi Rebels,
    I am going to Cobh and will be in your "Republic" for the weekend with the wife.

Any good restuarants you'd recommend that won't poison a Jackeen?
    My wife is from Monaghan so she might be ok, but I could be a target as I have been told I act like a Dub any time I leave the pale.

Is there anywhere that's really good value, we're on a strict budget like everyone else with the recession :-)

Thanks in Advance Rebels.
    TR.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Do you mean restaurants in Cobh?

Wouldnt know many down that end, but Eco's in Douglas is very good, reasonable for prices as well, about a 20 minute drive from Cobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I don't know any restaurants in Cobh but I'm sure there are some good options -- we need a boardsie from the Island to suggest a few. There are lots within driving distance. You could try Murph's bar in East Ferry. It's fairly good pub carvery fare, but the setting is great, particularly on a nice day. The Farmgate in Midleton is also good but a bit more expensive. The cafe in Fota House is good for a coffee or sandwich (again, more for the setting). You could also try Ballymaloe, near Cloyne. The café (not the restaurant) won't break the bank, but I think it doesn't open at night.

If you don't want to drive you can get the train into Cork where there is lots of choice (see the other threads on this board), with lots of early bird specials these days too. For example Isaac's is less than 10 minutes' walk from the station on Mac Curtain St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

Hi Rebels,

My wife is from Monaghan so she might be ok, but I could be a target as I have been told I act like a Dub any time I leave the pale.

A target for what? I don't understand :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

OK - Cobh resident here. We've got quite a few good ones now.

Watersedge Hotel - you can either eat in the Restaurant or get Bar Food. I go for the Bar Food everytime - and if the weather is good you can sit outside, right at the waters edge, watching the ships sail by.

Next door is The Quays - a bar with nice food and again, one of the few places you can sit right at the waters edge (they do yummy burgers and the likes).

There is a new place on the main street of the town Eleven West (at least I think it's called that) good food, cool decor, a little pricey but it is a lovely place.

There's a Chinese restaurant on the main street also, I've totally forgotten the name of it - but fair enough Chinese food.

There's also a new Chinese at the Bella Vista which is at the top of the hill, I believe that's quite good, haven't been there yet myself - the place was all revamped a few months ago.

And there are several smaller cafes/grills in the town also and one in the Heritage Centre.

The Marlogue Inn, it's on the island, a bit further out, you'll see signs directing you to Marlogue - it's a pub/restaurant - OK food -you'll get a big plate there, if it's a sunny day the place will get packed as you can sit outside, it's in the inner harbour, overlooking East Ferry, it's a very picturesque location.

OK - have I left anything out, yes - there's another new place called The Crows Nest, it's based in Rushbrook Cobh, bistro that is supposed to be very good and they do a carvery also. I haven't eaten there yet but I've heard it's good.

Or there is Fota - the Sheraton, 5 Star Hotel, nearby - obviously pricey as it's 5 star - but only a 5 min drive from Cobh town. Near there is wonderful new place called the Bramley Lodge - it only serves food by day, you can also get ready made meals there, lovely cakes, sambo's etc. You can sit outside "if" the sun shines - and enough tables inside if it isn't.

Right, you shouldn't starve - have a lovely weekend in Cobh and I really hope the sun is shining for you! J

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Tupins wrote: »
    A target for what? I don't understand :confused:

we like to shoot "jackeens" who call themselves "jackeens" on sight in cork. Its bigger than gaa in some parts.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement