Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirit Gym - On the Quay

Options
  • 30-06-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is a recent new member here.

Got quoted a price of €620 for the year today (which seems a little steep to say the least)

The kingfisher are only charging €520 and the Tower is only €570. Is there any reason to pay the extra?

The location suits me but the tower would be grand too

Is there significant room to haggle or is it a rigid price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Where exactly is this? Is there any pool there no?

If not, i'd give it about 6 months at those prices

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Where exactly is this? Is there any pool there no?

If not, i'd give it about 6 months at those prices

Its the Gym attached to the Days Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

can you define quoted?

See if you went in there and this is the price they gave you and you said you'd be back and they didn't bring the price down then it's not up for discussion imo.

My experience in king fisher was they kept saying they'd drop the price 2 if not 3 times when i said i'd think about it.

If its the best option for you then simply knock 10 off the kingfisher price and tell them straight this was the best offer you got somewhere else and if they match it you'll join today.

There was a thread on something like this a few months ago iirc fof joining kingfisher try doing a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Lads cmon now.....Kingfisher = Public hours, we all know what that means
    ....The Tower = 18 years old, dated and far too small.

Spirit has the appropriate size and location and is members only!

As for the price, if you pay 620 but use it 3 times a week for, lets say 45 weeks of the year it works out at 4.50 a go! Not too bad if you ask me!

A small price to pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

watermark wrote: »

As for the price, if you pay 620 but use it 3 times a week for, lets say 45 weeks of the year it works out at 4.50 a go! Not too bad if you ask me!

A small price to pay!

and will you give any discounts to Boards members?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

A small price to pay!
    Hope business is going well for you down there

lol, i do love the shillers.

Hope business is going well for you down there

Just stating the obvious lads.

Great gym and the facilities and services justify the price! Rant over.

Just stating the obvious lads.

Great gym and the facilities and services justify the price! Rant over.

It gets better and better in fairness. TBF to you you didn't deny it and I have a friend who uses your place and says that the facilities are grand.

I never understoood why shills don't go and post like some random messages all across the forums before they do their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I am a member of Spirit and can thoroughly recommend it,i looked at what was available and glad i chose Spirit,Tower is a little outdated and small,Kingfisher can get very busy at times,Although kingfisher do a direct debit when you finish paying it it works out the same price as spirit,who dont levy by paying direct debit.I paid €120 upfront and €50 a month for 10 months,also the staff are very good and very helpful and take the time with you to go through the equipment and also an individual training programme if you require one.I am very much just a member and have no affiliation to the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭lassykk

@ ziedth... I tried ringing you to discuss the kingfisher yday but I'm guessing u were out at home

@ watermark... Your sales pitch sounds remarkably like the one I was sold yesterday... In fact 18 years old is exactly what I was told about the tower... Strange... Can't think why that could be!!!

I've opted for the tower in the end. They are the only ones who would offer a 3 month membership... got it for €160... which I know if multiplied by 4 give €640 for the year but I work away from Waterford in the winter so this is ideal for me.

I can't say I found Spirit too accommodating. They weren't willing to budge on the price at all even when I went to hang up he just left me do so. Personally I think they would do better if they made a small allowance from their quoted price. But as ziedth said we have a mutual friend who goes there and he is a big fan but he does live a one minute walk from the gym so it is ideal for him.

The kingfisher were very friendly and open to much haggling. I got it knocked down to a price I was happy with but then I was informed of the hike for paying by direct debit.

The tower may be small but its not that busy... the sauna and the steam room is nice and it has a plunge pool which I like... The gym may be old enough but can't say that would bother me much... Meeting someone there on Thursday to do up a programme for me.

whats shilling? and the tower centre is 18yrs old.

newho i jus get annoyed at people who constantly haggle because that is the reason we will dig deeper into the recession

if you bought a pint in one pub for €5 and in the next pub it was €5.50 wud ya haggle wit the barman......

the reason so many small (and big i guess) business' are goin bust is because ppl arent willing to pay the money for their products (we'll drop the price but to stay afloat we need to cut 10 jobs) and then we give out about places cutting staff or redundancies

i earn more money than i did last year and the price of everything is falling as we go in search of "value for money" so my recession hasnt started

all i know is the more expensive something is....its generally better quality

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

A shill is someone who poses as a neutral customer but in reality is either an employee or has various ties with a company.

As for your argument that The Tower is 18 years old, you'd swear that by the way you were going on that everything in there is 18 years old. It was refurbished 2 years a go I think which saw a new sauna being installed and the dressing rooms expanded. I haven't a clue what the state of the gym equipment is like in there but I'd imagine it has to be in pretty decent nick in order for people to continue renewing their memberships.

I'm a member of Kingfisher and while I'm guilty of not going there that much this Summer, I've always found there to be plenty of equipment available, although the dressing room can get a bit crowded - even when the place isn't terribly busy.

newho i jus get annoyed at people who constantly haggle because that is the reason we will dig deeper into the recession

if you bought a pint in one pub for €5 and in the next pub it was €5.50 wud ya haggle wit the barman......

the reason so many small (and big i guess) business' are goin bust is because ppl arent willing to pay the money for their products (we'll drop the price but to stay afloat we need to cut 10 jobs) and then we give out about places cutting staff or redundancies.

It's not at all the same thing, Lassykk pointed out the difference of €100 between spirit and kingfisher there is a small difference between €0.50 and €100.

If a place has to cut jobs to "stay afloat" i don't think anyone in their right mind is going to complain about that.

It's simple Economics my friend, You have to weight up what spirit is offering and price charging and match it against what others are offering at the price they are charging and I think Lassykk summed it up by picking the option that best suited him.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭figrolls

Sorry to be bringing up an old thread,

Just wondering if anybody knew what price Spirit are charging for the years membership this year?
    I think I saw that Kingfisher was roughly €500, so was just hoping to make a comparison,

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Hi,

It's €550 per year but you can pay €120 up front and the rest is by dd over 10 months from what I can remember, they had a stall in City Square a couple of weeks ago. It's €400 per year for students and for off peak membership. Haven't a clue what it's like, keep meaning to call in for a look.

hth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I heard they'll do you a deal aswell, go in there and haggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Yeah, Spirit is great... so I recommend you all to sign up to Kingfisher or the Tower and crowd them out. ;)

The Tower is a joke though. The place is tiny. No chance of getting to the machines you want when you want them. No space for stretching, etc. I signed up there a few years ago and pretty much wasted my money, stopped going. It's well worth the extra cash to use a gym with ample space, machines and flexible/nice/helpful staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

joined goldstone fitness yesterday highly recommend, top of the range equipment and plenty of space.

I was gonna pop my head in tomorrow and see whats what.

anyone know what the "off peak" times are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mysterious&Shy

ziedth wrote: »
    I was gonna pop my head in tomorrow and see whats what.

anyone know what the "off peak" times are.

I think it is 9 to 4 Mon to Fri excluding weekends and bank hols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

merlante wrote: »

The Tower is a joke though. The place is tiny. No chance of getting to the machines you want when you want them. No space for stretching, etc. I signed up there a few years ago and pretty much wasted my money, stopped going. It's well worth the extra cash to use a gym with ample space, machines and flexible/nice/helpful staff.

Agree with u about d'Tower. Their gym is like an average sized living room. The dressing rooms are tiny also. The only positive thing they have going for them is the pool. Was a member. Got fed up of things breaking down or not working properly. Especially one or all of: jacuzzi/sauna/steam room. Found the staff not to be the friendliest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Got a thing in the door from Spirit offering from only €5.99 a week but has to be paid monthly. Im sure their is probably some catch to this but i cant find the leaflet. Anybody get the leaflet and can shed some light on this. If you could sign up monthly it would suit me but i doubt you can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Surely the gym instructors have a part to play too. I know from experience the instructors in Kingfisher are not the best. Giving incorrect exercises for people with bad backs etc. So for that money in Spirit i would expect the gym instructors to be top notch in their field!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Got a thing in the door from Spirit offering from only €5.99 a week but has to be paid monthly. Im sure their is probably some catch to this but i cant find the leaflet. Anybody get the leaflet and can shed some light on this. If you could sign up monthly it would suit me but i doubt you can do that.

The leaflet is at home but its as you say 5.99 a week paid monthly, not sure if its month by month though.

I would recommend it as im a member myself. The staff are friendly and helpful, so it would be worth enquiring about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

What size pool is in Spirit,can anyone tell me? Can you get pool only membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I'm not a member but I've only heard good things about Spirit gym. Few friends of mine go there.
    tbayers wrote: »
    Surely the gym instructors have a part to play too. I know from experience the instructors in Kingfisher are not the best. Giving incorrect exercises for people with bad backs etc. So for that money in Spirit i would expect the gym instructors to be top notch in their field!

What exercises? What bad back conditions did the clients have? Did the instructors know this? Please give us more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What size pool is in Spirit,can anyone tell me? Can you get pool only membership?

Yep theres a pool only. No idea on price. Think its a 20m pool (Only 1.3m deep all around though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Yep theres a pool only. No idea on price. Think its a 20m pool (Only 1.3m deep all around though)
    Hmmmm.... I may have to investigate further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

If your interested in joining go down & they will let you use the pool & gym for free to see what you think. I did a few month backs just to see what it's like. Pool area is a small bit cramped. The changing rooms downstairs are tiny & pretty warm. There's a small steam room / sauna but both work perfectly well. Parking is a big issue. Either outside on the street if you can find a space or free in the Aldi car park up the road. Fine this time of year but the winter could be a disaster.

Advertisement