Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirit Gym - On the Quay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody join with the new deal? Rang up and they didn't really answer my questions told me to call down tomorrow for a look around and to talk about it. Seems a bit odd to me their is probably a catch and they want to put you on the spot to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah that's odd, I'd make sure I call down without my handbag (ie no bank details)!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I didnt call down today had to do something. Then they rang my house number twice the first time i was cooking about half 5 my sister told them i was busy and i would ring back. Then about 8 i was gone off and they rang again lookin for me and told my sister they would ring back tomorrow. Has anybody head of anything like this before seems strange and putting me off the idea of going their.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I didnt call down today had to do something. Then they rang my house number twice the first time i was cooking about half 5 my sister told them i was busy and i would ring back. Then about 8 i was gone off and they rang again lookin for me and told my sister they would ring back tomorrow. Has anybody head of anything like this before seems strange and putting me off the idea of going their.

I hate when places ring you all the time like that, its really off putting. I used to go to energie and they did it ALL the time. So I cancelled and joined a real gym (goldstone).

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Werent Spirit offering a years membership for like 75 euro in the paper last week???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I dunno...you tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I signed up with them yesterday. Called in around the afternoon and there was 20 spaces left for that offer. Impressed with what they had to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nialeon

Joined friday!! its clean..equipment is top notch!! gym is fresh and people are nice... pool area is small compared to kingfisher!! jacuzzi will only fit 4 people in at most..sauna and steam room , does what it says on the tin!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

kensutz wrote: »
    I signed up with them yesterday. Called in around the afternoon and there was 20 spaces left for that offer. Impressed with what they had to offer.

so did you get it for 75?
    would like it just for the pool alone..

There were 75 places available to join for the €5.99 a week option. I chose to upgrade to the Peak membership for an extra €1.50. Have yet to use it because I had to keep myself out of trouble for an All Ireland final last weekend. Going in tomorrow to start my punishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I got the call too. "danny" was very excitable on the phone. I went down to have a look and was all set t join when it was revealed that I had to sign for 2 years, which I hadn't been told before.

I told them I'd not do that, max I would sign for was 6 months at first. Then they lost interest.

Chelsea is very beguiling though!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Nuts102 wrote: »

Most gyms I've dealt with are like that. Maybe it's something to do with commission or something. I've often had a gym ring me months after my first enquiry bugging me and ending their phone call with "sure we'll ring you again in a few months and see how you're getting on" er no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I am also thinking of joining spirit gym my problem is i work shift 2pm-10pm and 6am-2pm and my partner works the opposite shift to me so i can only get to go every 2nd week after i drop kids to school in the mornings and maybe weekends too is it money wasted in my case probably paying 2 weeks for every 1 i use :confused: Is their any pictures of the gym too so we can get an idea of the place without having to call in and get pressured into membership ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I go there quite a bit. There's a lot of new members after signing up so its after getting a little crowded at peak times in the last few weeks.

Clean gym, equipment usually works for the most part.

The one thing I hate about it is that its shared with the hotel so you often get lots and lots of kids in the pool and you can't get a decent swim sometimes.

It's better than the alternatives in the town though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Flyer1 wrote: »
    I go there quite a bit. There's a lot of new members after signing up so its after getting a little crowded at peak times in the last few weeks.

Clean gym, equipment usually works for the most part.

The one thing I hate about it is that its shared with the hotel so you often get lots and lots of kids in the pool and you can't get a decent swim sometimes.

It's better than the alternatives in the town though.

Should be next to no kids from now on as school has started and the peak holiday months are behind us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

i might be wrong here but a good few posts on this thread, particularly the first and second pages, smack of back door advertising. worth a look at any commercial relationships i would be thinking.

Well considering the first 2 pages are of posts from over 2 years ago and posters saying the user was a shill is clearly evident. Even 2 mods posted on it so I'm sure they were aware of what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Any pics of the gym at spirit on the net :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 YelaBelly

1st post!

Interesting thread as I am considering joining Spirit.

I went down for a visit and the gym looks great but a friend told me it gets very busy in the evenings? I know it was mentioned before but can anyone confirm this as of Dec11 Jan12? When I was down there the air con was broken and it was extremely hot & stuffy. They said it would be like this for 2 weeks, which imo is a bit long to get something fixed. How are they on fixing broken equipment?

I also went down to the Tower and their gym is TINY, which put me off! Their pool area is much better than Spirits plus they have a plunge pool and a bigger Jacuzzi but I prefer gym over pool so Spirit has swayed me.

Goldstone looks great online massive variety of equipment and spacious to so I'll pop up for a visit but the lack of pool/Jacuzi etc is a bit off putting.

Havent looked at Kingfisher yet as nothing online but I will swing round there after Goldstone.

Any more input would be much appreciated before I part with my hard earned bucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Hi yelabelly,

Im a member since 2009 and i wouldnt go anywhere else.

The staff are friendly and the facilties are good enough for me.

The aircon is still getting fixed which is enough to put any new member off i do agree ;)

But id defnitely recommend it, other than that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

god i hate shillers! :D

i can honestly say the staff wud never pressurize u into signing up for membership on the spot if ya didn't want to!

they are all trainers/lifeguards, not sales people. all sound out anyways!

most people will join if they like the place and see themselves in there. if not, they wont join.

also, has any1 on here gotten a program from goldstone or kingfisher? if so, what was the routine?

p.s. head gasket in aircon unit went, getting sent from belgium. being sorted monday.

Hi yelabelly,

Im a member since 2009 and i wouldnt go anywhere else.

The staff are friendly and the facilties are good enough for me.

The aircon is still getting fixed which is enough to put any new member off i do agree ;)

But id defnitely recommend it, other than that...

Thanks for the reply inlikeflynn

I went out to Goldstone and the gym is fantastic but it's a bit out of my way.

Kingfisher was great but mad busy (spirit I hear is mad busy to). I met with the sales guy and I haggled him down quite a bit so I went with them. It always pays to haggle! They have everything I need except a Jacuzzi but I can live with that as I am mostly interested in the gym and an occasional swim.

Spirit was grand in comparison but overall Knigfisher impressed me more: facilities + price = :D

watermark wrote: »

WOW! You must be monitoring this board with a quick response like that!

Anyway Spirit was nice, I liked your gym but I have to say your pool area was a bit cramped and the Jacuzzi was small.

From the 2 leisure centres I visited in the town Spirit wins out on the gym front but the Tower wins out on the pool front so depending on what your preference is thats how I see it for whats it worth...

Even though I joined Kingfisher the only peeve I have with them is the early closing on the weekend but I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

watermark wrote: »

i can honestly say the staff wud never pressurize u into signing up for membership on the spot if ya didn't want to!

they are all trainers/lifeguards, not sales people. all sound out anyways!

most people will join if they like the place and see themselves in there. if not, they wont join.

also, has any1 on here gotten a program from goldstone or kingfisher? if so, what was the routine?

p.s. head gasket in aircon unit went, getting sent from belgium. being sorted monday.

I've only used spirit twice on a free trial pass. Was thinking of joining the summer before last but was put off when I was in the gym completely alone for the whole time I was there. Clearly it was an off peak time but it struck me as strange that although I made it clear I was thinking of joining, no one showed me around or were even present in the gym area.

The whole thing was really eerie and I couldnt help wonder what would happen if an accident occurred, how long would I have been left there before someone checked the place? There seemed to be only one guy at the desk so I didn't ask about the lack of staff, in retrospect I probably should have but I felt awkward asking for a staff member to come up and supervise me personally!

@Watermark, perhaps you could shed some light on this and let me know if this is a common occurrence or if there is a particular time when this might happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

@ocli64 i dont work there, someone close to me does though, pm sent.

depends on the time of day i guess, iv used kingfisher once or twice and was always a lad just standing behind the gym desk. but they have 3-4 staff on at a time. 1/2 at reception, a salesman etc

in spirit the lads that work are receptionist, lifeguard, gym instructor/supervisor, cleaners, tour guide....

ocli64 wrote: »
    was put off when I was in the gym completely alone for the whole time I was there - no one showed me around or were even present in the gym area.

The whole thing was really eerie and I couldnt help wonder what would happen if an accident occurred

Come to think of it that was my experience to but I didnt look at it that way at the time but your right!

I say it's a sign of the times' reduction in staff hours / numbers to save money. Get one person to do the job of two!Those antics only last for so long before things start to come apart esp. if an accident were to occur! They are a new centre right? What with the economy the way it is I'd day the hotel has a huge debts to pay off keeping the place open.

Shame really that the country is the way it is but thats for another thread

Advertisement