Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Cat

Options
  • 30-06-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there!

Is anybody missing a white, short-haired cat? We are living up in the Court and the cat had us up from 4.30 this morning, meowing to get in our window! Tried everything to shoo him/her away but think he/she is probably deaf? (Aren't most all-white cats deaf?)

Eventually took her in and put her out the front door but she kept coming back. She meowed outside our window until at least 7.30 this morning (lovely!) and drove our poor dog crazy! She has been back twice since.

She seems a lovely cat and I just want to make sure she's not lost. Failing that, any tips to discourage her from pre-dawn calls would be appreciated. I love cats but not so early in the morning!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

If she is blue eyed she is deaf. Otherwise not.

I saw her the other night next door to us......she's a new one alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

NarkyBoots wrote: »
    If she is blue eyed she is deaf. Otherwise not.

I saw her the other night next door to us......she's a new one alright!

Good to see so many around with that field next door and the threat of mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bart Wilson

[*]95% of the general cat population is non-white cats (i.e. not pure white) and congenital deafness is extremely rare in non-white cats.
      [*]5% of the general cat population is white cats (i.e. pure white). 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes.
      [*]Of those white cats with one or two blue eyes, 60-80% are deaf; 20-40% have normal hearing; 30-40% had one blue eye and were deaf while 60-70% had one blue eye and normal hearing.
      [*]Of the 5% of white cats in the overall population, 60-80% had eyes of other colors (e.g. orange, green). Of those 10- 20% were deaf and 80-90% had normal hearing.
      [*]Deaf white cats with one or two blue eyes account for 0.25 - 1.5 of total cat population
      [*]Total number of cats with white coat and blue eyes account for 0.75 - 2.0% of total cat population

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

• 95% of the general cat population is non-white cats (i.e. not pure white) and congenital deafness is extremely rare in non-white cats.
      • 5% of the general cat population is white cats (i.e. pure white). 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes.
      • Of those white cats with one or two blue eyes, 60-80% are deaf; 20-40% have normal hearing; 30-40% had one blue eye and were deaf while 60-70% had one blue eye and normal hearing.
      • Of the 5% of white cats in the overall population, 60-80% had eyes of other colors (e.g. orange, green). Of those 10- 20% were deaf and 80-90% had normal hearing.
      • Deaf white cats with one or two blue eyes account for 0.25 - 1.5 of total cat population
      • Total number of cats with white coat and blue eyes account for 0.75 - 2.0% of total cat population

Stay on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

hc wrote: »
      Hi there!

Is anybody missing a white, short-haired cat? We are living up in the Court and the cat had us up from 4.30 this morning, meowing to get in our window! Tried everything to shoo him/her away but think he/she is probably deaf? (Aren't most all-white cats deaf?)

Eventually took her in and put her out the front door but she kept coming back. She meowed outside our window until at least 7.30 this morning (lovely!) and drove our poor dog crazy! She has been back twice since.

She seems a lovely cat and I just want to make sure she's not lost. Failing that, any tips to discourage her from pre-dawn calls would be appreciated. I love cats but not so early in the morning!

Thanks in advance.

On the noticeboard in Tesco there is a picture off a white cat that is missing.

• Advertisement
    Advertisement