Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I mad? Garda Recruitment

• 30-06-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm a 24 yo male with a good, secure, fairly well-paid job in IT. But I just have this thing inside me where I really want to be a Garda. I've always been interested in the Gardí as well as IT and I decided to do Computer Systems in UL.

I've been working now for about 3 years, have a mortgage and a good life but I'm really itching to apply. Do you think I'm mad to be thinking of leaving a really good and secure job. (Apart from the fact that there are all these cuts going on and it looks like even if I did apply there wouldn't be any new recruits anyway!)

Would there be anyway I could, as a civilian, work in say the computer crime division of the Gardí?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Yes, you may well be.

It would be a massive pay cut joining the guards, going through training and it would be ages until your on a decent wage compared to IT jobs. Obviously the job a different world to IT and an office job.

I don't mean to crush any dreams but getting into computer crime in the Garda Siochana is pretty limited and difficult to get into. You should know that it could take at the very least 5-7 years from your graduation to get there. But if you have this dream/itch to join up - go for it! We're all a bit mad sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

you might have your mortgage paid by the time you start down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

not that I want to be a poster boy for the reserve or anything, but why don't you give it a whirl and see if it suits

all it will cost is time:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

Sorry for the delay on the replies. Was away for a few days. Thanks for the replies.
    lehanemore wrote: »
    not that I want to be a poster boy for the reserve or anything, but why don't you give it a whirl and see if it suits

all it will cost is time:cool:

I was considering this at the time the scheme was announced but I play senior club football at home and would be very comitted to it. Do you think that would cause a problem? I know it's volunteer and theres no obligation or whatever but I can't imagine they'd look too kindly on being told "Well actually I can't work that day because I have a match"

Or am I wrong?

Advertisement