Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Society???

Options
  • 30-06-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was looking at the list of societies on the ucd website and there is no history soc. does one exist?

i would have thought that there would be one as history is a popular subject. if so i'm doing arts next year and love history and would like to join. any info on this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There is a History society yeah, dunno why it's not on the website

Not sure what they do exactly, but they certainly exist ! I seem to recall them putting on interesting talks every so often. One was on (i think) Medieval torture methods or somethin like that. Another was on the French revolution, and was given by one of the best lecturers I've had -- Hugh Gough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

They do talks every Monday night with staff lecturers and guest ones too. The topics are incredibly diverse and there's a wine reception on afterwards too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

How does one join? i'll be a 1st year next september and would like to join. are there membership fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

During freshers week all societies have a stand. It costs €2 to join and its well worth joining a few small ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The UCD History Society does indeed exist. The UCD website only really shows the main societies, who are large corporate hoars with their sponsorship, such as the C&E and L&H.

The UCD History Society is extremely active with a lecture every week followed by a wine reception as was said. They also do film screenings, this year they showed the Eastwood film Letters from Iwo Jima, which was related to one of the courses. They also showed Master and Commander, just for fun and served rum to everyone, keeping to the nautical theme:).

The societies email address is ucdhistorysociety@gmail.com
    you can join the committee if you like, as long as the auditor gives the all clear.

• Advertisement

thanks guys. i'll defo be joining. whats the crowd like there? is it easy to make friends with the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Gary4279 wrote: »
    thanks guys. i'll defo be joining. whats the crowd like there? is it easy to make friends with the bunch.

It is very easy to make friends. Especially if you play football, as you will be poached to play Trinners in 5 a side. This year UCD History beat Trinity History 12-5 in football:). But you dont have to play the beautiful game to make friends, there are all sorts there.

well im a fairly good defender so maybe i'll give that a lash.:D

Advertisement