Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barb wire, is it ok to use on a fence?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've recently closed off the rear of my garden that led to a forest with some fence posts and sheep wire. However, last weekend, some members of the Travelling fraternity climbed over this fence to have a look around my garden, purely for benign reasons they claimed when I confronted them, and then not so politely requested that they leave.

So is it legal to put barb wire up on top of this fence or would I be leaving myself open to claims for personal injury if someone else decided to climb over the fence and injure themselves on the barb wire. The adjacent landowners are farmers and they have barb wire up but they can claim that it is to keep animals in whereas I want to keep animals/people out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I have barb wire around mine. Not sure/never thought of the legalities but I don't really care. Its my property so I will put barb wire up if I want..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

not sure about the barbed wire. how about putting some kind of censor up that sets off an alarm,siren thing it would give the troublemakers a fright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm pretty sure that if you have material likely to cause injury on an external barrier surface you are open to being sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Would you consider a electic fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Could you use standard sheep fencing barbed wire as used in all farmers fields? I fenced all my site off with sheep wire and 2 rows of barbed wire on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

For some unknown reason, you have a duty of care to all people on your property, even if they are there without your permission. You also have a duty to avoid nuisance to the general public if your property is bounded by a public space, like a footpath or road.

You can take reasonable steps to secure your property and avoid personal injury claims if you make it clear that there is a danger to anyone trying to enter your property. A sign saying Danger, Barbed Wire. Keep Out should suffice.

Where barbed wire is used adjacent to a road or footpath, it should be placed at such a height that it is not a danger to the public. 2.4m is usually quoted.

Advertisement