Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

remote ping heartbeat for server uptime

• 30-06-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope you can help. I have a remote server connected to the web via a 3G broadband router. The router is set to auto persist the connection, however because it is a vodafone service all inbound communication/ports to the router are blocked at network level. I am currently using logmein service to control the pc remotely - windows remote desktop will not work cos of the blocked inbound comms.

What i am trying to do is monitor the uptime of the connection and perhaps also the speed of the connection remotely. [- If the 3G service allowed inbound comms then this would be easy - just ping the server or run a simple web host and check it regularly.]

What i have done so far is run a simply ping command scheduled by windows scheduling app. every 10 mins the following cmd is executed...

ping www.google.ie -n 100 >>c:\ping.txt

that ties a 100 pings to google.ie and appended output to ping.txt

then after this is completed I use another scheduled cmd to ftp it to my local server, where i can import it into excel and graph uptime and connection latency.

I am looking for a program to replace all that. A simple service that sits on the pc (winxp) and pings like a heartbeat to a web service... then I could log into that service and see a nice graph of connectivity (or have it emailed to me periodically)

Any ideas or thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

pingplotter does some but not all of these. It's free though.

http://www.pingplotter.com/

To be honest I think you're time would probably be better spent trying to get better connectivity. Have you tried putting the router in different spots in the house til you find out which direction the signal is strongest from?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

cheers for the tip. The ping script is working out pretty well now, have had it going for over a week its pretty stable. have used ping plotter before its a pretty neat app.

Advertisement