Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2009

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Not out caught anyway, LBW - judge for myself when I see the replays.

Umpire clearly thought he hit it, so cannot be ajudged LBW from that point on. So I guess as lady luck would have it the ball carried to the slips and it was pouched and ajudged caught, wrong decision. 1-0 Rudi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

legend73 wrote: »
    Not out caught anyway, LBW - judge for myself when I see the replays.

Umpire clearly thought he hit it, so cannot be ajudged LBW from that point on. So I guess as lady luck would have it the ball carried to the slips and it was pouched and ajudged caught, wrong decision. 1-0 Rudi.

But it was a wrong decision to decide he hit it.
    Ergo, two wrongs make a right.

Devide by Zero.
    Ponto out.

I'll remember to tell that to the judge next time im caught drink driving & stopped for speeding. Out of jail for free card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Aus in trouble 111 for 5

follow on and make england bat 4th to save the test i pray :)

legend73 wrote: »
    I'll remember to tell that to the judge next time im caught drink driving & stopped for speeding. Out of jail for free card.

What?

If you are caught for drink driving after being stopped for speeding, and you tell the judge that he will penalise you for drink driving. Incedentally, who says you cant be done for speeding if you are done for drink driving?

YOU WILL STILL BE OUT.
    So will ponto.....

Whats more, since when is there any parallel between umpiring a cricket match and the legal mechanisms around road safety?

Is hawkeye inadmissable in court too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

brilliant, Russel Crowe is the third man in sky's commentary booth at the moment!

aussies getting spanked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jesus they got semi-skittled after I left for work!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Loving Warne in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Can't see a way back for the Aussies here, 2 days is surely enough time for England. They should definitely declare overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Marshy wrote: »
    Can't see a way back for the Aussies here, 2 days is surely enough time for England. They should definitely declare overnight.
    It was only a week ago the Aussies put up 600+ for the loss of only 6 wickets.
    There is, weather permitting 196 overs available. If there is going to be 2 full days play then England need to bat on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Unless its very overcast in the morning, I'd go out with a license to flay the leather with the willow for an hour, get it over 600 and declare.

This Lords pitch has flattened out in the last 2 days in recent previous tests, but SL and SA followed on and saved the game with the following scores amassed on days 4 & 5:

SA 393/3
    SL 537/9

Its definately one of the pitchs to break the world record run chase on, especially under blue skies. That has to be at the Forefront of England's mind imo, they really want to bat Aus out of the game. That said if the Aussies can get 550, feck it, they deserve it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Raining at Lords now (10.30) and 11am start unlikely. Surely England must declare now to have any chance of bowling Aussies out? Is there a good online radio link for coverage as my BBC radio reception is dire? :)

Raining at Lords now (10.30) and 11am start unlikely. Surely England must declare now to have any chance of bowling Aussies out? Is there a good online radio link for coverage as my BBC radio reception is dire? :)

Aye test match special streams grand, not England only restrictions, link top right ish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/8157281.stm

Thanks for that. England just declared. Time for Paddy Power to give me back some of my money lost on the Lions Series!! Yipee!!:D

Aussies straight in to bat, cloud cover overhead, looking good!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aussies straight in to bat, cloud cover overhead, looking good!
    And Freddy has taken Katich, caught in the gulley - 17-1. It was a no-ball, but not called, and so decision stands.
    Now Ricky has (almost certainly) his last chance to make a test century at Lords

Beasty wrote: »
    And Freddy has taken Katich, caught in the gulley - 17-1. It was a no-ball, but not called, and so decision stands.
    Now Ricky has (almost certainly) his last chance to make a test century at Lords

Off a no ball, replays show.......tough shít aussies :)

lol Caught but grounded perhaps.....not a great day so far for the Aussies........not that I could ever feel any sympathy for them.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    lol Caught but grounded perhaps.....not a great day so far for the Aussies........not that I could ever feel any sympathy for them.....
    Which makes it 34-2, with Hughes (allegedly) caught by Strauss of Freddy.

What odds on Ponting being not out in the 90s at the end of the match?

Which makes it 34-2, with Hughes (allegedly) caught by Strauss of Freddy.

I am not a big punter fan, so I would quite like to see the little man stranded on 99 in his last Lords test with his name never set to deface the board.

• Advertisement

Bang goes that theory - Aussies cannot complain about this one though. Ponting bowled Broad for 38 - current score 91-3, and still 431 runs required!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great stuff from Clarke, keeps it in the balance going into the final day

Agreed, cracking stuff from Clarke but sadly, for me, the outcome is inevitable and England will win tomorrow. If I was a religious man I would be praying for rain tonight! :)

KevIRL wrote: »
    Great stuff from Clarke, keeps it in the balance going into the final day

Hardly in the balance, but aye the Aussie have a chance, 4/1 at the bookies. Get rid of these 2 early tomorrow and the game should be wrapped up well before tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

If these 2 put on another 100ish I can see the English beginning to panic. Remember Australia needed over 100 at Edgbaston in 2005 and that was with only 2 wickets left. Came very close that time.

Its too tall an order me thinks.

The only way it happens is if these 2 can put on another 100 between them and Johnson hits a rapid fire fifty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

100th over: Australia 367-8 :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Clarke :mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mitchell Johnson gone.

England win at Lords, and lead the series. :D

• Advertisement

Five wicket haul for Freddy.

England win by 115 runs
    Australia 406

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I was shocked to hear England have not won against Australia at Lords since 1934..

Link

Congratulations to England. A fine win to break the drought. Makes for a good series now, so come on the Aussies..!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

Congrats to England!

Australia, who were outplayed for most of the match, were less disciplined with the bat than they were at Cardiff and will also feel aggrieved about a couple of dodgy decisions; but England bowled particularly well at times - taking 20 Australian wickets for 600ish is a fantastic effort! They are really going to miss Flintoff when he retires at the end of this series.

An unchanged England side for the 3rd Test will only add to the confidence levels...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Manuel

Could any of you advise how to go about getting one's hands on a day ticket for any of the three remaining test matches? Are they gold dust, especially now that the Poms are ahead?

Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread, I'm too lazy to read all 13 pages :o

Thanks,
    /M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Series is interestingly poised now. Gotta think Australia will come back at England. When is Lee coming back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Nation

Suppose it helps when the umpires gift you 3 important wickets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Nation wrote: »
    Suppose it helps when the umpires gift you 3 important wickets.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting put it well
    "It's all irrelevant. We've been beaten by over 100 runs in a Test."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

KP is out of the rest of the Ashes after having had an operation on his achilles tendon. Think England may actually benefit from this, he wasn't batting particularly well and was seen as untouchable by the selectors, now Bell or who knows Morgan could get a call up, i know it won't be Morgan or Joyce, but this fascinating series gets even more interesting!

Wonder if they told him to have that op? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It'll probably be Bell, although apparently Rob Key is making runs again. Whoever it is has a good chance of stealing the no.3 spot if Bopara continues to struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Nation

The South African traitor will be missed by England. Granted he wasnt in great form but he along with Freddie and maybe Strauss are the only players the Aussies fear. Bopara, Bell, Collingwood, Prior. Thats a fairly weak middle order.

• Advertisement

Collingwood has a great record... and Prior has been smacking runs in the middle order like its a ODI. Can't enderistimate the English middle order.

Manuel wrote: »
    Could any of you advise how to go about getting one's hands on a day ticket for any of the three remaining test matches? Are they gold dust, especially now that the Poms are ahead?

Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread, I'm too lazy to read all 13 pages :o

Thanks,
    /M.
    think the only day that there are tickets left for is the 5th day at headingly, go here
    http://www.yorkshireccc.com/archive/ballot_and_ashes_ticket_update/index.html
    actually might be 4th day tickets there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

have to agree Colly and Prior both playing extremely well right now. To call that a weak middle order is doing them a disservice

Thats a shame.

KP being a tool aside, its bad for the series.

now all the aussies need to is freddie to breakdown in a tearful display on the 1st day of the 3rd test! mwhahahahaha, couldnt happen to a nicer bloke either.

I like Flintoff.

He is a good sportsman and is easy to relate to.

Some bitters on here

apparently some tickets left for 4th day at edgbaston and non-refundables for 5th day

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭super182

hope bell dosen get called up cant stand him, rob key be a good 1 but they dont have many great options, me tinks bopara gonna fire in next test:D

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I like Flintoff.

He is a good sportsman and is easy to relate to.

Flintoff is a great character for the game. he plays hard but fair cricket

• Advertisement
Advertisement