Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Beasty wrote: »
    Harmison is much better suited to the Oval than Headingley, although he is very unlikely to play if Freddie is in the team, as Anderson has also been declared fit

Harmison hasn't been a decent bowler in about 5 years. He keeps getting recalled, not playing great, getting dropped, and then getting recalled again for some reason. It's about time they dropped him for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

there`s a few murmours about Trescothick now, that for me, would be, by far and away, the best option possible, he`s the top scoring player in county cricket, so picking him for a home game, is a complete no brainer really

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Harmison hasn't been a decent bowler in about 5 years. He keeps getting recalled, not playing great, getting dropped, and then getting recalled again for some reason. It's about time they dropped him for good.

You need pace (and probably spin) at the Oval (check out the 1984 Oval test, when Devon Malcolm, a much inferior bowler to Harmison, destroyed South Africa in the second innings with 9-57). Harmison is England's best pace option.

I am not a particular fan of Harmison, and am firmly of the view England made a big mistake picking him ahead of Sidebottom for the Headingley test. However for a one-off must-win match at the Oval, Harmison provides England's best chance, if Freddie is not 100%.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

there`s a few murmours about Trescothick now, that for me, would be, by far and away, the best option possible, he`s the top scoring player in county cricket, so picking him for a home game, is a complete no brainer really
    Agreed - I would pick him, for this match only, if he makes himself available for selection, dropping Strauss down to No 3. I do not, however, think the England selectors will have the guts to pursue this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

Conversely, Australia's bowlers (Clarke and Siddell in particular) were relentlessly on-target and were rewarded accordingly.

Thoughts?

I agree and I think that the reason that the tail wagged so well on the last day for England was because the Aussie bowlers lost their discipline.

Do people think that this might give England some consolation to build a bit of momentum on going into the last test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

DJ Dodgy wrote: »
    I agree and I think that the reason that the tail wagged so well on the last day for England was because the Aussie bowlers lost their discipline.

Do people think that this might give England some consolation to build a bit of momentum on going into the last test?

The momentum going into the final Test is definitely with Australia. If they took their foot off the gas a bit at the end, it was only because the result was, by then, a sure thing.

England need to step it up a few gears in terms of competitiveness and psychology. They need to 'play smart'. I think England need to bowl first and knock a couple of them over before lunch on the first day in order to feel the swing of any momentum. Flintoff will be immense (he'll definitely want to go out on a high) and it's a good idea bringing Trescothick back even if it's only for this one game.

Ramprakash said on Sky Sports today he is available for selection, but the selectors have not approached him.

Given his record in high pressure situations, I would certainly be against his selection (although the fact it is his home ground would count for him)

Chairman of selectors, Geoff Miller, has stated they will consider him:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Mark-Ramprakash-England-Cricket-Selectors-Geoff-Miller-Australia-Ashes-Fifth-Test-The-Oval/Article/200908215359651

Bopara has been left out, meaning Trott should get a start. Flintoff is in the squad, and Monty has been recalled to the 14 man squad:

Strauss
    Anderson
    Bell
    Broad
    Collingwood
    Cook
    Flintoff
    Harmison
    Onions
    Panesar
    Prior
    Sidebottom
    Swann
    Trott

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

as Trott played before?

Tough Debut if he hasn't

DM-ICE wrote: »
    as Trott played before?

Tough Debut if he hasn't

No he has not. He says he is ready for it. I think he will bat at 4 or 5, with Bell moving up to 3. If Trott approaches it right, he could make it into a no lose situation - no-one will criticise if he does not get many runs, but he could be a hero with a match-winning century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Andrew Strauss (capt), Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Jonathan Trott, Matt Prior (wk), Andrew Flintoff, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Steve Harmison, James Anderson

Onions loses out to Harmison. :confused:

1 Shane Watson, 2 Simon Katich, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Clarke, 5 Mike Hussey, 6 Marcus North, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 Stuart Clark, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus

No Hauritz

England win the toss and are batting

1120 - WICKET - Cook c Ponting b Siddle 10 - Eng 12-1 (5.3 overs)

Advantage Aussies me thinks. Although England have increased run rate by over 8 28-1.

108-1 at lunch - positive start for England, scoring at over 4 per over, with Strauss getting 10 fours in his 50no. Need to build on this in the afternoon, and ideally get through to tea with no more than 2 down.

114-2 Strauss c Haddin, b Hilfenhaus for 55

175-2 off 47 overs. England looking comfortable.

175-2 off 47 overs. England looking comfortable.
    :D

Heh, 3rd wicked gone in the 48th over.

Collingwood c Hussey b Siddle 24

176/3

I sense a collapse, will probably finish about 250 all out.

I sense a collapse, will probably finish about 250 all out.
    Well at least we are now past that landmark! - 252-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

This is not going to be a draw folks.

commentators saying this morning that England should be looking at 500, now 350 looks like a good score.

Washout wrote: »
    This is not going to be a draw folks.

commentators saying this morning that England should be looking at 500, now 350 looks like a good score.
    When you say 350 looks like a good score do you mean for England with the wickets they have left or that it will be hard for the Aussies to reach 350 off a wicket that is beginning to break up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

When you say 350 looks like a good score do you mean for England with the wickets they have left or that it will be hard for the Aussies to reach 350 off a wicket that is beginning to break up?

England will do well to get 330 with 2 wickets left. The wicket itself won't break up too much until days 3 and 4 so the Aussies should be looking for about 400 i reckon

f1dan wrote: »
    England will do well to get 330 with 2 wickets left. The wicket itself won't break up too much until days 3 and 4 so the Aussies should be looking for about 400 i reckon
    Bell said he was surprised at how much spin there was today, and the suggestion is Swann could be key. This is almost certainly very good news for England, as it increases the chance of a result, and the Aussies (should:D) have to bat last.

A couple of showers forecast for Friday, although it looks better for the rest of the match. England may want to get on with it though

andersons first duck in test cricket.

good run

332 all out, with Broad in the runs again (37) - he's now just short of Flintoff's batting average, and must surely soon be considered for the all-rounder spot.

Washout wrote: »
    andersons first duck in test cricket.

good run
    he failed to get a duck in 54 successive test innings

Big wicket for England.

Broad deserved that, good bowling after lunch

85-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Big wicket for England.

Broad deserved that, good bowling after lunch

85-2

Massive wicket for England that.

Hussey gone. Get Clarke now and England should be looking at a first innings lead

• Advertisement

332 all out, with Broad in the runs again (37) - he's now just short of Flintoff's batting average, and must surely soon be considered for the all-rounder spot.

having taken the first 3 wickets his bowling average is rapidly approaching Freddie's also

having taken the first 3 wickets his bowling average is rapidly approaching Freddie's also

Make that 4. Great catch by Trott

I hate the fecker ( aways have not just a reacton to the game)

England have put themselves in a great position

93/4 - Clarke out, and a 4th wicket for Broad - getting very interesting

What is the target for the Aussies to avoid the follow on?

What is the target for the Aussies to avoid the follow on?

Stuart Broad is on the verge of entering English Ashes folklore.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

There's 5

Bad call

And 6, momentum really building here.

Stev_o wrote: »
    And 6, momentum really building here.

I hope you put money on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

OK, what's a jaffa? following the live scores on Eurosport online and they keep referring to it. I gather it's a good bowl, but where did it come from??

:):confused:

• Advertisement

the words "australia", "batting" and "collapse" used in the same sentance. who have thought it :D

Fifer for Broad

When I heard it was less than 133 to follow on I thought, no way. Now all of a sudden......!

This is getting a bit ridiculous now. 7 in the session.

and 7

Malari wrote: »
    OK, what's a jaffa? following the live scores on Eurosport online and they keep referring to it. I gather it's a good bowl, but where did it come from??

:):confused:

It's used to describe a delivery that's so good it's almost unplayable.

Dunno where it comes from

I hope you put money on that!

Now i really wish i did :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Chapeau Broad!

Lovin' it :D

Brilliant stuff could see it coming though.

Good catch by Prior.

Only rain can save the Aussies now

• Advertisement
Advertisement