Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ashes 2009

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Another LBW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Disgraceful decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Joke of a decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it was bad, when the luck goes against you, it really goes against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Those poor humble Australians...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

That's it. 160 all done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

HA!

Guardian commentary
    So Australia have lost ten wickets for 87 runs in 20 overs. Excuse me, I'm just going to type that out again. Australia have lost ten wickets for 87 runs in 20 overs. And England lead by 172.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Where's Blowers? He hasn't been on TMS today or yesterday... :(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

england need to just throw the bat at it now and try to get a half decent total, if they get 350 agg they should be in good shape.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

f1dan wrote: »
    It's used to describe a delivery that's so good it's almost unplayable.

Dunno where it comes from

I like to think it comes from the fact that jaffa cakes are tasty, and a jaffa is a tasty delivery! Better than the other idea that it comes from the hebrew for beautiful anyway!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is supposed to be the best wicket for batting in England, and we have already seen 23 wickets fall in less than 2 days cricket. In the old days, Oval tests went on for 6 days, and even then they often did not produce a positive result. It looks like the groundsman has deliberately prepared a "result" pitch (which would be what England wanted), but has clearly overcooked it.

Fortunately England won the toss and have been able to make best use of it. Shame for those who paid for tickets on the 4th or 5th days in the hope they would see the climax to an epic Ashes series!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

142/3 and the lead is now well over 300. Strauss and Trott have put on over 100 together. Australia's only hope now is the weather, but given the forecast I don't think this will rescue them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

We always knew Aussies were tough but wow at that!
    Prior struck the ball and Ponting in a silly type position hit full whack in the mouth and yet he just continued, ouch!

Lunch score card

1. England first innings: 332 all out (90.5 overs)
    2. Australia first innings: 160 all out (52.5 overs)
    3. England second innings: 157 for 4 (55 overs)

England lead by 329 runs, will they plug on till all out or look to declare on say a 400 lead if they get the chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭SIDESHOW BOBs

Strauss has to stop kicking himself for getting out , he has a tricky decision now cuecumber or tuna ! Will england swing the bat at anything now and throw caution to the wind , possible declaration with a 400 lead and leave themselves two full days for the ten aussie wickets required for the precious urn .
    or will he go for chicken salad

mmmmmmm:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Freddie could enjoy his last hurrah quite a bit if there is absolutely no pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

England were always far more of a negative team then the Aussies in the past b4 but they really need to attack here because they obviously have to get 10 aussie wickets to claim the Ashes, they should throw the bat now.

let the mid order / tail get in some 20/20 odi batting practice , a couple of swift fiftys then full steam ahead englanf ftw , 7/2 this time yesterday what a time to pile on

cricket bashing type fookers should be shown pontings jaw cracking stop and then told to STFU

pet hate of mine , also the notion that test matches are boring odi 20/20 have the excitement exclusive

apologies rant over:p

Flintoff out 22 from 18.

England 200/6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Why did England declare?
    Surely the more runs they have the better?

Why did England declare?

They're so far ahead the score doesn't really matter. They're giving themselves the most amount of time to get the 10 wickets they need

They're so far ahead the score doesn't really matter. They're giving themselves the most amount of time to get the 10 wickets they need
    Also means they get three goes with fresh bowlers if needed - this evening, tomorrow and Monday mornings

Jonathan Trott - another English cricketing hero, following in the footsteps of Colin Cowdrey, Ted Dexter, Basil D'Oliveira, Tony Greig, Mike Denness, Allan Lamb, Robin Smith, Graeme Hick, Andy Caddick, Nasser Hussein, Andrew Strauss, Kevin Pietersen, Ed Joyce...At least Beefy was born in England:)

So long as they declare for England ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Why did England declare?

Get them in for 20 overs and try to take a wicket or two before the end of the day. Aussies have been fielding all day so won't be as fresh as they will be on Sunday morning. They were already on a world record chase so surprised he did not declare a little earlier.

Off topic but... Go Hawks by the way.....kicked the Broncos arses tonight.

171-2 at lunch - overall a good session for England, with Swann and Broad picking up a wicket apiece

Ponting ran out. England will be glad as that partnership was building up steam.

Second run out! Absolutely incredible!

Clarke 0 run out Strauss (65th over: Australia 217-4 (Hussey 51 need 546 to win

• Advertisement

Wicket number 5 extremely close call.

Aussies collapsing in a dusty heap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Haddin and Johnson go in quick succession to finish it off. 326-5 to 328-7. Hussey has finally turned up though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

343-9 Harmison on a hat trick

edit: uh, he didn't get it

And it's all over Hussey put on a brave display but it was bound to fall eventually, congratulations England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well done England, great series. Fair play to Ponting and the Aussies, the wholes series was played in great spirit on the whole.

Well done to England. Let's hope they're still a bit hungover on Thursday:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

Well done to England. Let's hope they're still a bit hungover on Thursday:p

they will be :D:D:D:D

remember the Windies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Marshy wrote: »
    Its a very close series to call but I give England the edge based on Australia's lack of variety bowling wise. There's talk of them not even bothering with Hauritz for the 1st Test and if that's the case all they'll have are quicks and part-time spinners.

Think of how important Warne was for them in 2005 (40 wickets) and that was even in a losing cause. If the pitches are flat turners as most of them will likely be I find it hard to see the Australian attack picking up 20 wickets.
    Good call from me. :P

Pity I didn't put my money where my mouth was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

Marshy wrote: »
    Good call from me. :P

Pity I didn't put my money where my mouth was.

Just back Ireland on Thursday instead and you'll make up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ponting ran out. England will be glad as that partnership was building up steam.

till this happened i honestly felt they had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

More gutted this time than I was in 2005. I felt then we were beaten by a better side and much better cricket was played all round.

We played our worst day of cricket in four years on probably the most important day in that same period of time. To get knocked over for 160 was really awful. Broad bowled well but as a team we panicked.

Fair play to Strauss. He thoroughly deserves the plaudits and with Trott in the mix I think England could really strengthen their test setup. I think question marks will be asked of Collingwood now.

It's going to be a long 18 months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

subfreq wrote: »
    More gutted this time than I was in 2005. I felt then we were beaten by a better side and much better cricket was played all round.

We played our worst day of cricket in four years on probably the most important day in that same period of time. To get knocked over for 160 was really awful. Broad bowled well but as a team we panicked.

I'd agree with that. Panic is not usually a term associated with Australian cricket
    subfreq wrote: »
    Fair play to Strauss. He thoroughly deserves the plaudits and with Trott in the mix I think England could really strengthen their test setup. I think question marks will be asked of Collingwood now.

It's going to be a long 18 months...

18 months until you give us another 5-0 whitewash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Not enough guts and determination - when the boys sit back and reflect they'll say I didn't bleed green and gold. Tear up some contracts - inject some youngblood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'd agree with that. Panic is not usually a term associated with Australian cricket

18 months until you give us another 5-0 whitewash :D

England won't get beaten 5 - 0 next tour, it was a poor team in transition and with poor leadership from King Fred that was whitewashed (including a ridiculous display in Adelaide)

Australia are only the 4th best team in the world, I have more fear of a whitewash for England in South Africa. England will have to play a lot better against the Saffers to have any chance of picking up a win in that series.

• Advertisement
Advertisement