Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small amounts of readymixed concrete required and placed

Options
  • 30-06-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Does anyone know any companys what will turn up with readymixed concrete and wheel it to where you want it. Say if you were doing a house extention but were short of a few pairs of hands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Google mini mix concrete for firms in your area. Mini mix companies supply in small loads, typically up to 8 tonnes or about 3 cubic metres. A regular supplier will charge for fresh air - the amount in the 6 cubic metre drum that's not concrete. Could be worthwhile comparing prices.

The minimix companies might have a couple of hands to help you place it - the regular companies won't as the drivers earn on turnaround of loads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

2 things to look out for if you cant get the company to place it for you.

when pouring into wheel barrows there is more waste as you loose some when pouring into wheel barrow.

also i think you get 45 mins free to off load a truck. ( this will vary between companies) you will be charged per hour after that.

Another thing to keep in mind .... its not impossible to do it . its about 12 wheelbarrows per cubic metre (if i remeber when i used to do it)

just make sure you have a few people as you get slow pretty quickly.

another option is that some trucks are fitting with conveyor belts. they can postion th econcrete closer to where you want it.

but i thinkyour best option would be to russtle a few mates together. will work out cheaper.

how much concrete you talking about.

(question to someone else..... would a floor screed pump pump a low slump concrete to do the job)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Its turning out to be a bit of a headache. Only need a little over 1 metre for foundations and then will need about 2 metres for floor. Small amounts but a lot of concrete to wheel barrow. Conveyor wont work due to location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have you considered hand mixing and using a retarder to prevent it going off before it's all poured? Or get the mini mix to add a retarder so you can move it by barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

C ENG, can this be pumped through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Pump would work out expensive would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

hey thats what i suggested . ha ha

if the initial pour is one cubic metre that is just 4 barrow loads between 3 people. not inmpossible. however. some company charge you a part load fee. which means you will more than likely be charge a mininmum of 4 metres. ( this could have changed due downturn)

the best bet is to line up as much concrete work as you can. and get it all done. but if that is not possible i would suggest trying to mix it yourself

Advertisement