Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vacuum tank query

• 30-06-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

lads have 1100 gallon abbey, she seems to take forever to fill these days literally and is poor to spread also, veins in pump are ok, not sutck or anything, any ideas what the issue could be, maybe the entire pump is knackered? can these be reconditioned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

did you take the pump apart? are there ripples where the veins are ment to seal against the pump housing so airtightness isnt being achieved?, or is there a break in the hosing from the pump to the top of the tank, is the ball at the top of the pump at the hosing up to the top of the tank punctured? are the oilers working, you can only use vacuum pump oil, maybe try filling at lower revs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

we opened the pump, one of the cog wheels at the front had a broken tooth but thought it looked ok other than that, then veins them selves are fairly newish, did open the top part now to check on the ball, if you dont give it high revs it wont suck high nor dry and if the slurry is any way think it wont do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

Had same problem myself. Take off the backplate on the pump if you find a deep ridge on the back of the pump its more than likely goosed. I take it there's no holes in the tank. I had to get a new pump from Atkins cost 850.

balls, if thats the case, tanker isnt worth much more than that..we took off the back plate as far as I can remember, its not a flate plate now its quiet a deep heavy piece and there seems to be a keyhole type thing in the middle so you have to line it up correctly to get it back on, will have to bring to someone I guess to take a look at the damn thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

Take the top hose off the pump to see if its sucking . Be carefull don't put your hand near it it might tear it off:pac: There was no suction in mine worthwhile . I putthe new pump on even though the tank was very shook i did'nt want to spend money with milk at 20 cent. Tank is going fine leave it last as long as it will:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭forestman

Oh a bad operator I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

slurry tanks are very cheap at the moment , replace it , you can buy a decent 1600 gallon with normal sized wheels for around three to four grand , you could buy a decent 2nd hand 2000 gallon with low flotation tyres for around seven or eight

true enough bob but tanker is well down the list at the mo so the old yoke will have to soldier on for a bit..

true enough bob but tanker is well down the list at the mo so the old yoke will have to soldier on for a bit..

know what ya mean , me bros tank is 15 yrs old but still does the job , at least in summer time , you could pick up a tank which is well over ten years old yet still working for around a grand , i see them on the jounral regulary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

irish_bob wrote: »
    know what ya mean , me bros tank is 15 yrs old but still does the job , at least in summer time , you could pick up a tank which is well over ten years old yet still working for around a grand , i see them on the jounral regulary

I'm on my sixth year of tank bought from Atkins Cork advertised in their bargain basement section in IFJ. Paid €750 delivered. Looks tatty. Hasn't cost a penny in repairs and runs fine. No sense in spending too much money on something which gets used two days a year in my opinion. Bought an agitator a few years ago, for €450. Looks sad, but gets it done. Big benefit is that I can get slurry out when I want as opposed to waiting for conractor who everybody wants at the same time.

R1

• Advertisement

Rujib1 wrote: »
    I'm on my sixth year of tank bought from Atkins Cork advertised in their bargain basement section in IFJ. Paid €750 delivered. Looks tatty. Hasn't cost a penny in repairs and runs fine. No sense in spending too much money on something which gets used two days a year in my opinion. Bought an agitator a few years ago, for €450. Looks sad, but gets it done. Big benefit is that I can get slurry out when I want as opposed to waiting for conractor who everybody wants at the same time.

R1

speaking of atkins , they have a bunch of used bogballe fertilizer spreaders for sale at the moment , fully reconditioned , saw them on thier website , they come across as a well run operation , how did you find them , im not from the south so i wouldnt be too familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

irish_bob wrote: »
    speaking of atkins , they have a bunch of used bogballe fertilizer spreaders for sale at the moment , fully reconditioned , saw them on thier website , they come across as a well run operation , how did you find them , im not from the south so i wouldnt be too familiar

Have dealt with them just on 2 occasions. Seem sound to me. Have heard from people that they are not the cheapest in newish good stuff. Me. I'm a bargain hunter at the bottom of the market. If I see something which may look tatty, but is sound I get tempted sometimes. I get the impression that you get sound old yokes at Atkins for low money, whereas other places look for way too much in that category.

R

lacken machinery had a new or practically new cross 2000 gallon tank for about 9k on donedeal, good value i thought if anyone was looking was in the market, looked a lovely tank on picture anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

lacken machinery had a new or practically new cross 2000 gallon tank for about 9k on donedeal, good value i thought if anyone was looking was in the market, looked a lovely tank on picture anyway

We're thinking bout selling our 1100 gallon major tank, i'd say she's about 10 years old at the stage and in great nick if you interested

what you looking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

May not be your problem but seen it happen before that the lolipop at the rear of the tanker gets clogged with dry slurry inside the casing and will only open up half way slowing the filling and emptying of the tanker! worth checking!
    but hardly as simple as that!!

Advertisement