Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dieselsautomatics

• 30-06-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

wonder if anyone has any experience of diesel automatic cars. Am thinking of changing for one soon. Automatic for present traffic conditions and diesel for economy, but the combination doesn't seem that popular and the Japanese makers seem to avoid them completely. Can't think why.Anyone any ideas? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the mother has the astra sxi. its diesel with auto box. its very nippy car and you can also select semi automatic which is quite fun also.

as for economy if you floor it the economy is nothing special but again with most cars . but drive it sensibly and the economy according to her is great.

i know i dont have figures, but she reckons its a gret car. and i suppsoe with modern diesel engines you will not notice much difference than a petrol.

apart from the different engine noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

e39 530d auto gives 33mpg while the manual gives 45 on the same run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, that's a pretty sizeable difference in consumption just for an autobox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP what's your budget? You can get DSG diesel autos with no fuel penalty. The BMW 330d is well known for having a big efficiency discrepancy between manual and auto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 redferrari

Thanks for the replies people. I understand there would be a higher fuel consumtion with the automatic; hence the option for a diesel. Didn't know that about the DSG though. Will look into it. And budget? about 12K max I'd say.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 redferrari

Thanks a bunch Confab. Have to admit the name Skoda was in the back of my mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Confab wrote: »

Jaysus, who'd pay 11K for a 4 year old 1.9 Octavia!

testicle wrote: »
    Jaysus, who'd pay 11K for a 4 year old 1.9 Octavia!

True, they're not as cheap as they should be. There was an 06 DSG TDI Octavia knocking around 2 weeks ago for €6,800 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Diesel Autos are very rare in Ireland , You'b be better off importing from the UK market - far more to choice from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Barr wrote: »
    Diesel Autos are very rare in Ireland
    They're hardly rare - nearly every Merc diesel is an auto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's an increasing amount of them though, but mostly the German brands (BMW, Merc, VAG) and generally bigger engined cars.
    I'm on my 2nd diesel auto Passat (02 and 06 models) and my current one is a 2L DSG that is fantastic and far superior to the older 1.9 non-DSG version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

They're hardly rare - nearly every Merc diesel is an auto!

Ok I'll rephrase it , if you didn't want a Mercedes your options are pretty limited :)

Advertisement