Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual boot linux and xp, and some other questions

• 30-06-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Ive never used linux before but want to give it a go. I'm also going to reinstall windows xp from scratch. So what is the procedure when you want to install both these operating systems? Are there any good guides out there on how to do it?

As I know nothing about linux I downloaded the ubuntu desktop version? Whats the general consensus on this version of linux, what makes it diff.rent to other versions? Also I'm going to be using linux for developing web sites locally, so would I be better of getting the server version of ubuntu?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

Install XP first - some trickery involved if you go the other way around.

Reboot with ubuntu cd in and reboot, installer should guide you through partitioning etc. Not hard, you should be done in 20-30min.

Go for desktop edition, the server edition doesn't come with a GUI by default. Ubuntu's a fork of debian with up-to-date software. It's easy to use and has the largest community. Answers to problems can be found easily by googling and on forums. It'd be the first I'd recommend.

What do you need for web development?
    Apache, mysql, php etc can all be downloaded and installed automatically in one command or a couple of clicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

bSlick wrote: »
    Also I'm going to be using linux for developing web sites locally, so would I be better of getting the server version of ubuntu?

No, id say not. Ive the desktop version installed. I added Apache, PHP and MySql - it was a breeze. From the "How to Geek" site, just input these commands in the terminal, leaving out the italics part obviously.

sudo apt-get install apache2 //install Apache web serve 2
    sudo apt-get install php5 //install Php5
    sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5 //Install the apache php module

sudo apt-get install mysql-server //install mysql database
    sudo apt-get install php5-mysql //install the mysql php module
    mysqladmin create <databasename> //create a database

Also when I tried to run PHP through the terminal I got an error saying that a file "gd.so" was missing. At a guess I:

sudo apt-get install php5-gd

and that fixed it by installing the GD image library,

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart //restart the apache server for changes to come into effect

Initially the server is at '/var/www/' however if you edit the Apache config at '/etc/apache2/sitesavailable/default' you can set it to somewhere else by changing the 2 instances of '/var/www'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you want long-term security updates, go the for server version as you can easily install a graphical desktop after that. The last long-term support version was 8.04. But if long-term security and bug fixes aren't important to you (though they should be!), you might as well go for 9.04 desktop/server.

Advertisement