Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda never asked for license,insurance etc...

• 30-06-2009 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,

Just want an opinion on this and to see if its normal garda procedure...

I was driving my brothers landcruiser recently as a favour. He had put me on his insurance five days previously. It was in the evening and light was fading and I forgot to put in the lights, I saw the blue lights coming and was asked to pull over.

The garda examined the tax disk then came over. He said he had an "automatic registration and insurance checker" and the car came back with no insurance. I said it was insured recently,he said ok and asked for a breath sample. The sample was negative and he just left.

He never asked for my license or id!!!! or proof I hadnt just stolen the car!? it cost ~50k and Im 25 but still get id'd on nights out!!!

first time ive been stopped by the guards, is this normal??seems very strange to me,

Thanks for comments in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Firstly , Id say he was spoofing on the insurance check.

Your lights were not on and he assumed you may have had a few afternoon brews and were driving drunk. The question he gave you about insurance was to gauge your reaction time and reaction in realation to alcohol.

It didnt work so he pulled out the test to be sure.

Presto no alcohol

Of you go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnjoejohn

listermint wrote: »
    Firstly , Id say he was spoofing on the insurance check.

Your lights were not on and he assumed you may have had a few afternoon brews and were driving drunk. The question he gave you about insurance was to gauge your reaction time and reaction in realation to alcohol.

It didnt work so he pulled out the test to be sure.

Presto no alcohol

Of you go :)

Oh ya totally agree with you, but just thought it was very strange not asking for my licence!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Wouldn't worry about this at all. listermint is probably right. Just turn yer feckin lights on in future. ;)

The garda examined the tax disk then came over. He said he had an "automatic registration and insurance checker" and the car came back with no insurance. I said it was insured recently,he said ok and asked for a breath sample. The sample was negative and he just left.

I love when they make stuff up in front of you.

I was driving my old mans car way back when, and gave an old school friend a lift home one night. I stopped on Marrowbone Lane to let him out and as we were talking a couple of detectives pulled up behind and sat there. 2 minutes later ... knock on the window .

Are you (my dad's name)'s son? "YUP"
    From Templeogue? "YUP"
    Didn't you go to Templeogue college? "Nope ... try again, and if you can tell me what gold club he plays in, I'll be really impressed" and I smiled.

He laughed and they got back in the car and left. Classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Oh ya totally agree with you, but just thought it was very strange not asking for my licence!!

I've been stopped twice (road check for tax/insurance, and random breath test) but have never yet been asked for my license.

Nothing too unusual there, that I'm aware of.

Advertisement