Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a motorbike

• 30-06-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Not sure what to buy.
    I drive BMW cars so I checked BMW motorbikes, but not sure about their design.
    But some of their sport models look good.

I had a small Honda before, but was too small for me (cb500s). Was a descent motorbike though.

So I have very little experience with motorbike mechanical stuffs, which brand would be a good compromise between reliability/good looking (Not too sporty though).

I do not like extrem sport ones and I do not like motorway type models.
    Something in between I suppose.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

What sort of budget you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

KamiKazi wrote: »
    What sort of budget you looking at?

Yeah good point...
    Something around 3k top.
    Do not need a brand new one. Probably a 1998-2002 one will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

99 VFR 800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I can offer you my 2003 SV1000S if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sv1000s be some job for ya alright.
    The vfr800 is a grand thing. Had one for a few days last month.

• Advertisement

nereid wrote: »
    I can offer you my 2003 SV1000S if you like?

I am not too kin about the style/design.
    Engine is probably too big too for my 1st insurance.
    Cheers anyway

99 VFR 800

Yeah not bad
    Is it big enough for a big guy like me? 6+"

Honda seems to keep their value better than other brands or am I mistaken?
    I am on autotrader.ie checking prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

mick.fr wrote: »
    Honda seems to keep their value better than other brands or am I mistaken?
    I am on autotrader.ie checking prices...

Try donedeal.ie or the buying and selling section on biker.ie

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Try donedeal.ie or the buying and selling section on biker.ie

Yeah was wondering cause autotrader.ie is listing NI motorbikes only apparently..
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mick.fr wrote: »
    Yeah not bad
    Is it big enough for a big guy like me? 6+"
    Course it is. I know a chap who put up 78000km on a bandit 600 and he is 6"8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

What, getting a bike? Are you crazy?? They're dangerous and you're likely to end up seriously hurt or worse.

You want to get yerself another nice little sensible BMW motorcar!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Heres a buscuit Mr Troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    What, getting a bike? Are you crazy?? They're dangerous and you're likely to end up seriously hurt or worse.

You want to get yerself another nice little sensible BMW motorcar!!

And a BMW crashing into somebody doesnt seriously hurt or worse? :rolleyes: Your attitude toward motorbikes is obviously blinkered. Grow up and go back to the BMW forum or wherever it is you usually post. The man asked for advice not to have his thread ruined by a troll.

And a BMW crashing into somebody doesnt seriously hurt or worse?

Well it's gonna hurt the driver alot less then the person it crashes into ain't it??:p
    Your attitude toward motorbikes is obviously blinkered.

Your right it is! Modern biking bores me to death, is the objective of biking these days soley to end up owning an identical GSXR/'blade/R1 and in death to the tune of 18k just to do so etc etc??:rolleyes:
    Grow up and go back to the BMW forum or wherever it is you usually post.

Can't stand 'em. Driven by assholes ever since they adapted efi for their motors. Although I'd never say no to a tasty 2002 and I've a fondness for some of the old boxers.
    The man asked for advice not to have his thread ruined by a troll.

Your right, he did ask for advice and I was taking the piss. OP, for your info should you get into biking you'll have to remember to check your sense of humor at the door. Jeez Lads I remember biking was about having the craic and being a daft bastard. Not so these days I guess.:confused:

It seems that the advice the OP has been offered has been to buy a '99 VFR.... a bike designed by a committee when the design department were out sick. Capable but dull as a boards.ie swingers meet.
    Regarding vfr's the previous 750 version was better styled, just as reliable (cdi aside) effectively as good and great value second hand.
    But before these guys lose the plot recommending 150mph machines how about you give some proper details regarding your biking experience (full licence?) & what you envision using it for. A few miles on a CB500 does not qualify a biker as experienced enough for a vfr like bike.

Cecil Mor wrote: »

Your right it is! Modern biking bores me to death, is the objective of biking these days soley to end up owning an identical GSXR/'blade/R1 and in death to the tune of 18k just to do so etc etc??:rolleyes:

18K! When was the last time you were in a bike shop? Blades, R1's and gixxers don't cost that kind of money. 13K at the most for brand new ones.

When was the last time you were in a bike shop?

About 6wks ago, dropped into Bike-Tech in Galway as they sometimes have the odd classic passing through. Will probably call into McNultys tomorrow for a mouch but I generally bypass the Motorcycle City type of places, assuming they are still open these days, and salesrooms where the staff wear uniform T-shirts/shirt & ties.

13K at the most for brand new ones.

Well theres value for money!! A couple of weeks ago at a meet in Easkey I was chatting to a guy on a '08 reg GSXR he mentioned 18k..... Bike was the starting point, of course he then had to get new matching leathers, boots & helmets (I assume one was for the wife). Didn't consider the standard tires were up to his demanding riding style so had soft compound rubber fitted before it left the shop. Obviously essential as Suzuk know feck all about chosing suitable rubber.
    As well as lacking in the rubber department Suzuki are incapable of designing an exhaust system so a full titanium system had been fitted on the bike.
    Ventura system, usual CF panels, covers, replacement screens, magnesium cover here, titanium bolts there & usual boy racer ****e had been thrown at it. The owner reckoned it'd cost 18k which is why I mention that figure and there are plenty similar bikes about which have been modified to such a high:rolleyes: standard as far as I can see.

i wandered off after he mentioned getting a bike trailer wondering what the depreciation is on such a scoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oeod

I have a Ducati Monster 400 for sale if interested...13670miles 05 reg

Advertisement