Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Lights

Options
  • 30-06-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got the garden landscaped last year and have lights in the flower beds. The house started to trip every night until a friend suggested I check the outside lights. Looking at some of the conections boxes they are open and damp so there is my problem! But my question is, I have about 8-10 connection boxes ( or less, trying to guess) and im wondering how much are we looking at to get a local electrican in to fix?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

How about getting the original electrician back to do the job properly?

Cheeble-eers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Gardener gone out of business so I dont know who he contracted the job to :(

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gerardo1982

When they give you a quote knock 50% off - these boys are desperate for work at the moment, and make sure they are properly certified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

When they give you a quote knock 50% off - these boys are desperate for work at the moment, and make sure they are properly certified.
    he can't have it both ways.gardener prob got 50% off the first time.look where the customer is now!

So no sparks in the electrical thread that could put a price on this job ? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the_electrician

Looking at some of the conections boxes they are open and damp so there is my problem!
    If these connections are at mians voltage and are "open" o they can be touched the job has been carried out in a very ameturish way. Perhaps the cabling is unsuitable too. For this reason (and others) it would be very hard to price without seeing it.

Was an armoured (SWA) cable used to supply the lights?? What type of lights are they?? Are they 12 volts or mains voltage??? What area do you live in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

that is the problem with trying to give a figure for this.if the boxes are all open and wet .there may be even more remedial work neccessary.a lot of cowboys would have killed plenty if it wasn't for the rcd saving them and the customer

Thanks for the replies lads. All the lights are from Robus, I have one switch which turns on all the lights in the garden ( decking and beds ). the lights in the beds, where I seem to be having the problem, look like these..
    http://www.robusdirect.com/catalogue/index.php?catID=113 ( mine are a little bigger but these were the only one i could find on thier site ). as reguards to the connections, they are just white plastic boxes with a hole either end to allow the wire through. I suppose it is to hard to explane this over the net, ill just ask 2 or 3 local lads to price it. Thanks for your help anyway.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

A picture of the box would be better than the light. The lights are not that important.
    The box may not be a proper waterproof jointing box, when it should be.

Davy wrote: »
    A picture of the box would be better than the light. The lights are not that important.
    The box may not be a proper waterproof jointing box, when it should be.

Tried to find a picture but dont have a clue what they are called :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

gaz wac wrote: »
    Tried to find a picture but dont have a clue what they are called :o

Can you not get a camera and take one ;)

Advertisement