Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey Island (Remake) Special Edition

Options
  • 30-06-2009 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I must be completely in the dark or something but only last week I was reading a copy of CustomPC on a flight and saw an article about the upcoming "Summer 2009" remake of the Monkey Island series...

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

I cannot wait for this to come out. Does anyone know anything more about this?

I installed a copy of the earlier games a few years ago and although they were still excellent, the dated graphics and sound really stood out. So this move by LucasArts is perfect. They are absolute classics and it would seem they are staying true to the originals.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ve wrote: »
    I must be completely in the dark or something but only last week I was reading a copy of CustomPC on a flight and saw an article about the upcoming "Summer 2009" remake of the Monkey Island series...

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

I cannot wait for this to come out. Does anyone know anything more about this?

I installed a copy of the earlier games a few years ago and although they were still excellent, the dated graphics and sound really stood out. So this move by LucasArts is perfect. They are absolute classics and it would seem they are staying true to the originals.

Check about for the videos, that should be around the place. You can switch with a single key between old and new graphics modes on the fly.

There you go:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/the-secret-of-monkey-island/11405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The Telltale Monkey Island games are not remakes - they're new content. Its the LucasArts one that is a remake of Secret of Monkey Island with HD graphics and full speech audio.

You can preorder the Telltale ones now. First episode is releasing on July 7th.

Stephen wrote: »
    The Telltale Monkey Island games are not remakes - they're new content. Its the LucasArts one that is a remake of Secret of Monkey Island with HD graphics and full speech audio.

You can preorder the Telltale ones now. First episode is releasing on July 7th.
    Sorry my mistake :rolleyes:

Any idea when the actual remakes will be available? Would love to play the first two in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Are the third and fourth Monkey Island games any good?
    I was a big fan of the first two back in the day (although never came close to finishing them).

I assume that characters for all four games will be turning up in the new "Tales..." games, so to get the most out of it, it'd be best to have played the previous games.

I assume 3 and 4 follow on from 1 and 2, do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The Monkey Island games rank like this IMHO:
    1 = 2 > 3 > 4

ve wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake :rolleyes:

Any idea when the actual remakes will be available? Would love to play the first two in HD.

September, apparently. For the first game anyway. I don't think they've announced a remake of MI2 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The Monkey Island games rank like this IMHO:
    1 = 2 > 3 > 4

Can't remember which way those symbols work. Your saying the original two are better than the latter releases or have I got that wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Can't remember which way those symbols work. Your saying the original two are better than the latter releases or have I got that wrong.

You have it right.

September, apparently. For the first game anyway. I don't think they've announced a remake of MI2 yet.
    Not too bad. I can hold out until then, having waited years for a MI5.

I played the original 2 games right through on the Amiga, and possibly the PC again in the mid 90s. I really enjoyed the second one (and hope they give it the HD treatment also), but the first one is absolutely excellent.

As for the 3rd and 4th games, I agree with DamoElDiablo. The 3rd was better than the 4th and the first two were better again. When I first played the 3rd one I was hooked all over again and remember thinking the graphics were really well done. As for the 4th game they completely changed the controls and it just didn't have the same flair.

I remember thinking that the 4th game was clunky like Virtua Fighter when compared to something like Street Fighter 2 in terms of interaction, if you catch my drift.

• Advertisement

So did I, and I loved them both. Although the end of MI2 drove me insane and I had to resort to using a guide to finish it off! I loved the art in MI3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I loved them but they were too hard and there was no internets. :(

^^ Indeed. The first time around I played them on my awesome Amiga 600 with no internets, and couldn't finish them. Second time around was on a PC with ScummVM :)

It took me a whole year (maybe more) to complete all the difficulty settings on Monkey Island 2.

For me they rank 2 > 1 > 3 > 4. But that could be because I played 2 first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

the new graphics don't really look "right", the style of the original games seem to be missing from the HD redo.

Good that you can switch back to the old graphics at the touch of a button then :)

Wicknight wrote: »
    the new graphics don't really look "right", the style of the original games seem to be missing from the HD redo.
    You know up until a few years ago I would have completely agreed with you. I think our memories of games gone by have much better graphics and sound. When I installed MI2 through scummVM on my PC a few years ago it was nothing like my memory. I could clearly see that it was the game that I had played all those years ago and really really enjoyed but it was sort of a harsh reality that the graphics were that dated.

Having said that, that is my opinion and I'm sure there will be plenty others like you that will appreciate the ability to switch between game modes. I think what LucasArts have done here is absolute genius and I can't wait to shell out my hard earned cash on a copy of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

^^ Indeed. The first time around I played them on my awesome Amiga 600 with no internets, and couldn't finish them. Second time around was on a PC with ScummVM :)

A600 here too :mad: wish mum had bought an A1200. Got stuck at the dam in the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Cool. Looking forward to this remake !! Hopefully they'll redo MI2 as that was the one I remember the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah would love to see the first two released, not really arsed with the others.

• Advertisement

MI3 still looks pretty damn good anyway with all its hand-drawn artwork. Works just fine in ScummVM.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

In a week's time, on 7July, the first episode of Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal - will be available for digital download on PC and WiiWare, followed by four others.

Looks like Chapter 1 is available to buy.

Its available to buy, but not to download - yet. Should be up there later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

hurrrrrrrrr ... nvm

Advertisement