Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,252 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You're saying fair play for ripping us off for a decade and finally deciding to stop when their market-share is being gouged by the german discounters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

are you enjoying working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

they have only responded now that they are in trouble.
    but isn't this just what market forces are all about ?
    we could also hang our heads in shame for putting up with being ripped-off all along.
    i don't think its the aldi/lidl axis that has changed things more the fact that people can see that across the border the exact same goods are for sale at at least 30% cheaper - that's what's pissing people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

F$$k Tesco, they've just got caught in the fisherman's net and trying to keep the smile on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Aren't tesco making 1.5 times the profit in Ireland than anywhere else? So why applaud them for taking a cut after the years of lapping it up?

personally, it won't affect me. I find Tesco to be a shoddy place with shoddy products. I much prefer Dunnes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Fair play to them yeah....enjoy your month of lower priced goods and then it's back to the steady creep back up the scale as they see fit. Trust me, I've been in the Dundalk store a few times over the last 2 months...very little that would stop me from heading down the North (although to be fair the amount/quality of own brand items they now stock has greatly improved) and it's still staffed by the same people who don't make the shopping experience an overly pleasant one.

That brings me to my next point...when sterling starts to rise again (as it is predcited to do so) I don't imagine Tesco will be long about passing the resulting price rises on Uk sourced goods on (as they are entitled to do)...we may in fact end up paying even more than we used to for some goods in the event of STG returning to the 70p/€ level...

[edit] I applaud Tesco's attempts to lower the prices to it's customers...but I doubt their sincerity and long term commitment to same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

wont really affect me.
    Tesco are a shoddy operation with filthy stores, inept staff, & produce of poor quality.
    Its not just the price that makes me shop in lidl/Aldi

Time after time they are just better quality too.

so yeah.... f**k em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They increased the prices on some products since they started the 'change for good' programme.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0630/1224249781219.html
    TESCO HAS increased prices on hundreds of food items just over a month after they were reduced as part of a heavily-promoted price-cutting campaign in some stores.

The country’s biggest retailer confirmed yesterday it had increased prices on about 200 lines in its “change for good” stores, which stock large numbers of products directly imported from the UK rather than sourced from Irish suppliers.

No surprise there, they always cut prices and then higher them again a month or two later, con artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 axelgrease

Who is really paying for these cuts........Irish suppliers perhaps? Watch even more jobs go as the other big supermarkets follow Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

The price increases are absolutely true.... switched to the new store in Drogheda before the price changes because Navan is such a kip.

After the big song and dance price changes, it was great ....really noticed the difference in the old phoca, but last weekend I twigged a lot of the stuff was put back up....slightly miffed to say the least as I really did believe in keeping my spending local and stayed away from "The North".

And then listening to their bigwig boss on Morning Ireland trying to justify it......they must think we're total daws.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭sparklepants

Topmanager wrote: »
    Fair play to Tesco for rolling the "change for good" programme to the rest of Ireland...

Heres a link: http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0630/tesco.html
    Oops, sorry! I thought I was in the politics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Do none of ye's shop around, then? Sure so what if some of their products have gone up in price, just buy the cheap stuff there and then shop in other places for the rest of it.

I caught the tail end of the news as Gaeilge there this evening and there was a report saying that the high cost of groceries and products in Ireland was a direct result of Irish people not shopping around. It was all our own fault for not shopping around. Actually, just read there, in the "why are we still being ripped off" thread djpbarry just mentioned the report and gives a link.

Maybe before Aldi and Lidl, we didn't have much choice, but now that we do, yeah, it is our fault if we don't shop around. Bit like whinging how expensive wine is from Spar but not bothering to look elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They've already brought this into my Letterkenny store, many of the current reduced items were items that had price increase since xmas and new cheaper ranges are poorer quality. This is a pathetic attempt, yes the average shopping basket may cost the customer less now, but Tescos are still making just as much profit.

I really hoped the only good thing to come from this recession would be an end to the rip-off, but evident by letterkenny, shops are refusing to make the cuts and the masses are traveling to ASDA 20 minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

I don't like Tesco in general but their store in Maynooth is the biggest and nicest in Ireland. It's a good shopping experience and I did notice a huge price cut in their products. Which led to me buying stuff that I didn't need :rolleyes:

I have to agree with other posters though that I don't see this lasting. It will creep back up. May last until the end of the summer if even...

A spokesman for Tesco said on tv when asked why do you charge more in Ireland than in the Uk?

His response was: The Irish people are willing to pay more...

Times have changed and they know that so fingers crossed it will stay for quite a long long time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Haven't they removed something like 2,000 IRISH MADE products from their shelves in the pats month alone? to make way for 'cheaper' UK products

I've noticed the change in the local Tesco where I occasionally shop. i'm going elsewhere.

axelgrease wrote: »
    Who is really paying for these cuts........Irish suppliers perhaps? Watch even more jobs go as the other big supermarkets follow Tesco

That doesnt make economic sense. People need to realise that high prices dont equal more jobs. Its the opposite.

When prices are lower in Tescos people have more money left over to spend in the local economy. Boosting jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

but the Irish producers have to shed jobs or go out of business??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

fair play and Tesco are words that don't go together, they admitted that they will be looking for suppliers to lower their own profit margins. That and all the Irish ranges they will no longer stock.

no they can reduce wages, things are cheaper now. Deflate and keep jobs or be stubborn and keep the higher wages and we end up with huge unemployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    I don't like Tesco in general but their store in Maynooth is the biggest and nicest in Ireland. It's a good shopping experience and I did notice a huge price cut in their products. Which led to me buying stuff that I didn't need :rolleyes:

I have to agree with other posters though that I don't see this lasting. It will creep back up. May last until the end of the summer if even...

A spokesman for Tesco said on tv when asked why do you charge more in Ireland than in the Uk?

His response was: The Irish people are willing to pay more...

Times have changed and they know that so fingers crossed it will stay for quite a long long time :D

Maynooth Tesco has crap stock and half the self-service machines are out of order all the time and half the tills are closed.

Fruit and Veg is a joke in the place. Most of it is going off or bruised, torn open boxes etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

Tesco are pulling Irish produce off the shelves at a rate of knots. this will have a much bigger effect on employment than any employment issues within their employees. Am I the only one who thinks its time for a return of the CO-OP. We need some proper farmers markets and cut out Supermarkets. They are getting way too powerful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I met with a large Irish food producer recently. Before Tesco's CFG they had about 180 different products on Tesco's shelves - now they can only get ab out 40-50 onto the shelver - the shelf space is now taken up with UK manufactured products. How many jobs will be lost as a result?

However, this has been largely driven by consumers heading to NI and buying UK products there - Tesco were handed the excuse to reduce Irish sourced stock.

Apparently, other Irish retailers are also considering something like the CFG!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Maybe. Or maybe they have to ask themselves what the British suppliers are doing that they could do to make themselves more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the main reason that tesco are dearer in ireland, than the rest of the UK is, that because you havent got a asda or a morrisons, means that they have no competition,to keep down the prices.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Maybe. Or maybe they have to ask themselves what the British suppliers are doing that they could do to make themselves more competitive.

Whilst I agree with this, it's kind of obvious that a fairly large factor in that part is the difference in minimum wage and wage rates as a whole.
    There is also the economy of scale argument; it's cheaper to produce goods (in this case food) on a larger scale, for a larger market...then there's the cost of distribution...the UK has a higher population density than us so it works out cheaper to get that product on to the shelves from the supplier or warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Wertz wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with this, it's kind of obvious that a fairly large factor in that part is the difference in minimum wage and wage rates as a whole.
    There is also the economy of scale argument; it's cheaper to produce goods (in this case food) on a larger scale, for a larger market...then there's the cost of distribution...the UK has a higher population density than us so it works out cheaper to get that product on to the shelves from the supplier or warehouse.
    True, but there are other factors, such as the fact that UK suppliers have to buy their raw materials with devalued sterling.

If people are prepared to pay a little extra to keep Irish suppliers going, then fair enough, but it's unrealistic to expect supermarkets (or any other business) to do the same. But the possibility that certain Irish businesses are not/no longer economically viable should also be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I was listening to a Farmer representative on the Last word last night and I couldnt get over the ineptitude.

It is wrong that the big supermarkets are squeezing farmers more and more who do provide a good product.

But Mr Farmer.... please.... if you dont like selling to tesco, then sell to me!!
    I'll purchase your chicken, I'll purchase your red meats, fruits and veg.

If the suppliers of foods in Ireland could just think outside their little box for a second they can see that we dont need the likes of Tesco selling us what they feel we would like to have (eg 400g of perfectly shaped but tasteless beef chunks for €5). Or a fruit n'veg range that looked like it was picked 2 months ago.

I'd love to see the farmers of my county (wicklow) bring their produce to the consumer.

But instead the "Farmers Markets" end up being like a bric n'brac for posh nobs, more interested in hyper priced organic cakes than buying a 4stone bag of spuds.

Sell to me suppliers of Ireland.... I'm ready and willing to spend.

Ranting like this makes me start to think the suppliers/farmers are just whinging, & are happy to get what they can from the likes of tesco and just farm their EU payments.

</rant>

I'd love to see the farmers of my county (wicklow) bring their produce to the consumer.

But instead the "Farmers Markets" end up being like a bric n'brac for posh nobs, more interested in hyper priced organic cakes than buying a 4stone bag of spuds.

So true. Any farmers market I've gone to was full of overpriced jam, a measly selection of fruit and baked goods...nopt somewhere where you're going to walk away with the makings of a week's meals...
    Someone mentioned the co-op system above and that's definitely how it needs to go for the good of both consumers and producers. Tesco are quick enough to cut out the middleman...maybe it's trime to do the same to them...

People complain that we are paying higher prices than the Uk stores and now that they are reducing the irish range so we get cheaper prices we are still not happy?

From what i understand and I may be wrong but the UK suppliers are a lot bigger, the produce and sell a lot more than the Irish ones and there for can sell at a cheaper price to Tesco hense lower prices. Whereas the Irish suppliers can't compete.

We can't have it all. Either we pay higher prices and have "some" of the money going to Irish suppliers or pay less and get it from UK suppliers. Irish suppliers have been squeezed enough as it is and it's not feasilble/profitable for them to reduce their prices anymore....

• Advertisement

Supervalu seem to have cut back a lot of prices recently and they are staying open later. Their range is not as good though is it?

At least their tills are generally all open ;)

Advertisement