Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair play Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    Supervalu seem to have cut back a lot of prices recently and they are staying open later. Their range is not as good though is it?

At least their tills are generally all open ;)

Yeah, we had a 4-page ad for Supervalu in our local paper this week, boasting that they've reduced the price of a "typical weeks' shop" by over €30.
    So, they've been gouging us too, and want to be congratulated for reducing prices now.
    Funny thing is, Tesco got absolutely slated in several forums about how they're only reducing prices now, but no-one seems to have the same anger for Supervalu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

We have to wait and see if Supervalu put their prices back up just like Tesco has done for years.
    Also, have Supervalu dropped Irish lines just like Tesco done hence the controversy?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

It's really Musgraves that are at fault for that as opposed to Supervalu. Maybe Musgraves have signed a new contract and consequently have bigger buying power now. Maybe that's giving them the benefit of the doubt...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

big b wrote: »
    Funny thing is, Tesco got absolutely slated in several forums about how they're only reducing prices now, but no-one seems to have the same anger for Supervalu?

That's the point I made several times over in all the various Tesco threads over the past few months. There's outrage with Tesco but not a peep about Dunnes, Superquinn or the musgrave group who do the vey same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

gurramok wrote: »
    We have to wait and see if Supervalu put their prices back up just like Tesco has done for years.
    Also, have Supervalu dropped Irish lines just like Tesco done hence the controversy?

Unless things have changed A LOT at Supervalu recently, the prices will indeed creep back up.
    As for the Irish lines - if the price was right, we'd still be buying Irish. As far as I can see, Tesco were reacting to us lot heading North to shop. Which we were, and weren't asking too many questions about Irish produce, I suspect.

Tesco/shell/macdonalds.....some companies are just damned if they do & damned if they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

getz wrote: »
    the main reason that tesco are dearer in ireland, than the rest of the UK is, that because you havent got a asda or a morrisons, means that they have no competition,to keep down the prices.

When did this happen??? I haven't watched the news all week and we've suddenly joined the UK :eek:

I've stopped shopping in Tesco ever since their policy if dropping Irish produce. I go to SuperValue or SuperQuinn more now. It costs a little more but not as much as you'd think. Anyways I'd much rather pay an extra fiver for someones wage than pay an extra tenner for someones dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Unless things have changed A LOT at Supervalu recently, the prices will indeed creep back up.
    As for the Irish lines - if the price was right, we'd still be buying Irish. As far as I can see, Tesco were reacting to us lot heading North to shop. Which we were, and weren't asking too many questions about Irish produce, I suspect.

Tesco/shell/macdonalds.....some companies are just damned if they do & damned if they don't.

I'd buy 10% overpriced Irish goods, not 30%-50% as is the case of some items now!
    I speak as a regular nordie shopper. Haven't visited up north in 2 months due to price cuts here so fingers crossed they all(Tesco/Supervalu/Dunnes etc) keep their price cuts for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭cfcj

lol, yea those companies that are always weighted down by the critics for no reason. They really can't win sure they cant. And all then they have to spend all this money on PR companies to tell us they are a good company... yet the pesky old media have to go and dig up the dirt and ruin it. I agree its just not fair!!! lol... get real!!!

slimjimmc wrote: »
    When did this happen??? I haven't watched the news all week and we've suddenly joined the UK :eek:

I've stopped shopping in Tesco ever since their policy if dropping Irish produce. I go to SuperValue or SuperQuinn more now. It costs a little more but not as much as you'd think. Anyways I'd much rather pay an extra fiver for someones wage than pay an extra tenner for someones dole.

I think that there is that the agenda for a lot on here is that we would rejoin the UK. Is Irish independence eroding? media and retail are already controlled out of London so what next?

Thankfully you are looking beyond the price, there is people who clearly don't... yet are blogging elsewhere wondering why is there no jobs in Ireland and blaming the government for causing the world economic meltdown.

I have learn't that there is a laziness with regard to consumerism in Ireland, the media don't expose anything dodgy going on and the consumers don't question it. Prices rocketed because we had rapid growth within the economy coupled with a new currency which almost increased prices generally over night. Thing is that supermarkets aint the only place you can buy your groceries... and not everyone is ripping you off. The madness of why we need supermarkets and hypermarkets bigger than any in the UK is beyond me and to the detriment of any smaller competition. Then the complaints come in that the supermarkets are overcharging. In a weird way, although I detest Tesco and all the dodgy practices they engage in, I think that maybe it will be a good wake up call when suddenly there isn't much else left than the self service tills at Tesco and if they follow on from the CD, Video & Books vending machines maybe food will also be from vending machines. But as long as there is clubpoints then its all good right? lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭darcy.jonny

tbh at lest there responding to this situation were in .

they did rip us off for years but hay , superquinn dunnes etc were no better ,,,,,,,,,,

all tesco are doing is being business savy and so they should its a business after all that requires profit to exist

as far as irish manufactors go .............. high wage costs and in some cases sub standard products compared to else where

when we come out of this recession (if ever) the only good we can take from it might just be that in this country only the compamies that will offer decent priced , good quality products , good servies will survive .
    to many years have we put up with bad goods and shoody services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

As a mum of three I do shop around - last week I had to go around Tesco Clearwater three times to find what stock was actually reduced. Huge reductions on the sweet aisle - just cant find a dinner recipe to use the sweets in. The store was closed for 2 days and to be honest the only difference I found was that it's an awful lot tidier.

I use Tesco like my mother used the "van shop" (20 years ago) - only if I'm really stuck for bread and milk. It's way too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

cfcj wrote: »
    I think that there is that the agenda for a lot on here is that we would rejoin the UK.
    Everyone should do their patriotic duty and shop in Irish outlets, eh?

If anyone has an agenda, it’s you (clearly evident in this thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Where's the outrage against Boots ? Was in a branch yesterday evening and the stock produced be Coca-Cola is sourced from the UK, it's fairly obvious as the Coke bottles have "Made in GB", it's still also produced in Irelans isn't it ? That's just one thing I looked at, I'm sure there must be alot more.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Everyone should do their patriotic duty and shop in Irish outlets, eh?.

Thats for you to decide. I welcome in fair competition and support Irish jobs. I also believe in looking past this weeks shopping basket and thinking of the sustained Irish job market, suppliers and retailers.
    If anyone has an agenda, it’s you (clearly evident in this thread).

and what is my agenda? please expose me...... ohhh and while your at it let everyone know if you have any special reason to conceal and defend Tesco.

I also believe in looking past this weeks shopping basket and thinking of the sustained Irish job market, suppliers and retailers.
    Meaning what? You’ll pay more to keep Irish businesses from going out of business? Thus perpetuating a high-cost economy? That makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

This is prob off topic..... Im finally refusing to do my shop in Tesco any more. Im doing the greengrocer & the butcher. Anything else ill go to the corner shop. Or ill starve.

Tesco Bray is getting ripped apart at the moment & every one of the ripper-aparters are non Irish workers. The all had very strong UK accents. I have decided enough is enough. The country is on its knees & they let 140 staff go in Dun Laoghaire HO & the people they hire to redo the shops arent even Irish. The profits i have been paying them are now lining the coffers of a government somewhere else.

That its.. No more

jenzz wrote: »
    The country is on its knees & they let 140 staff go in Dun Laoghaire HO & the people they hire to redo the shops arent even Irish.
    When did it become a requirement that every business in this country must "hire Irish"?

Meaning what? You’ll pay more to keep Irish businesses from going out of business? Thus perpetuating a high-cost economy? That makes sense.

I think I have answered that question quite substantially in the thread you have already mentioned. Please answer my question first though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Quite happy with Tesco, average bill is down €30 since they changed over, looking through this thread I wonder why some have such a negative opinion especially seeing how most of them don't even shop there in the first place, how can you have an opinion if you don't?

When did it become a requirement that every business in this country must "hire Irish"?

I don't believe that was his point at all, you seem to attack will your ill informed views. Hows about reading what is actually being said before you return a very charged defensive response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Where did I say it was a requirement to hire Irish? Im stating that im not happy with them choosing to hire elsewhere.
    I just have decided im no longer shopping there . I want to fund my own & do my bit to try & keep our economy breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Topmanager wrote: »
    Fair play to Tesco for rolling the "change for good" programme to the rest of Ireland...

Heres a link: http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0630/tesco.html

Wouldn't put a foot inside a Tesco door, nor does any member of my family.

Their bullying of their workers (Douglas, Cork), their suppliers (take your pick) and their customers (charging more here than elsewhere) make me angry.

I refuse to support them in any way at any time.

bladespin wrote: »
    Quite happy with Tesco, average bill is down €30 since they changed over, looking through this thread I wonder why some have such a negative opinion especially seeing how most of them don't even shop there in the first place, how can you have an opinion if you don't?

Cause some of us actually took the time to investigate how Tesco operate and how they treat their staff. And just because I have chosen to avoid and expose this disgusting company doesn't mean I am not entitled to have an opinion or indeed discourage people from shopping there. You can choose where you want to shop, you can also choose what you support and if that is the production of clothing made in sweat shops by children and adults under inhumane conditions, or supporting a company which forces its suppliers to soak up the price reduction you have mentioned and ensure they haven't affected their profit margins or support a company that is outsourcing staff contracts to limit their legal responsibility with these workers. Also if you want to support the monopolistic agenda of Tesco in the creation of 'Tesco Towns' and wiping out all competition along with phasing out Irish products to achieve targets set for British suppliers and all for the benefit of its shareholders in the UK then thats for you to decide. And before anyone responds and says that either 'everyone does this' or 'Tesco aren't the only ones' bla bla bla... then that is the worse excuses I have ever heard. I am aware that Primark Ltd also engage in child labour and have the same feelings about them. If you want to present evidence to support any others then great. I am switching more and more to buy from local suppliers, green grocers and butcher and bakeries. I don't buy crap from supermarkets that are full of chemicals and altough it is more time consuming and more cooking I am saving probably €120 a week from what I used to spend. This is money I have no problem paying towards clothing that I know is not made in sweatshops even if that is paying €20 for a t-shirt instead of a questionable €5.

uriah wrote: »
    Wouldn't put a foot inside a Tesco door, nor does any member of my family.

Their bullying of their workers (Douglas, Cork), their suppliers (take your pick) and their customers (charging more here than elsewhere) make me angry.

I refuse to support them in any way at any time.

I commend you and your family. :) I found a great website a while back called www.tescopoly.org if you want to see other disgusting things they do. Also there is a channel 4 documentary called that opened my eyes a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Cause some of us actually took the time to investigate how Tesco operate and how they treat their staff. And just because I have chosen to avoid and expose this disgusting company doesn't mean I am not entitled to have an opinion or indeed discourage people from shopping there. You can choose where you want to shop, you can also choose what you support and if that is the production of clothing made in sweat shops by children and adults under inhumane conditions, or supporting a company which forces its suppliers to soak up the price reduction you have mentioned and ensure they haven't affected their profit margins or support a company that is outsourcing staff contracts to limit their legal responsibility with these workers. Also if you want to support the monopolistic agenda of Tesco in the creation of 'Tesco Towns' and wiping out all competition along with phasing out Irish products to achieve targets set for British suppliers and all for the benefit of its shareholders in the UK then thats for you to decide. And before anyone responds and says that either 'everyone does this' or 'Tesco aren't the only ones' bla bla bla... then that is the worse excuses I have ever heard. I am aware that Primark Ltd also engage in child labour and have the same feelings about them. If you want to present evidence to support any others then great. I am switching more and more to buy from local suppliers, green grocers and butcher and bakeries. I don't buy crap from supermarkets that are full of chemicals and altough it is more time consuming and more cooking I am saving probably €120 a week from what I used to spend. This is money I have no problem paying towards clothing that I know is not made in sweatshops even if that is paying €20 for a t-shirt instead of a questionable €5.

I agree with every word. Haven't been in Penneys for many years.
    I do not consider it acceptable to leave one's conscience at home when going shopping.

Shop local whenever possible and shop fair trade/ fair employer at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Cause ...€5.

Wow, got lost in that, couldn't really be rereading it, guessing you don't like them but you don't shop there so it doesn't really matter a business grows through satisfying it's customers so Tesco's must be doing something right, yes? If they were such evil doers then no-one would shop there.

I'll continue to shop there as long as they give me the best value for my euro.
    I know several who work in the local Tesco and they sing it's praise.

bladespin wrote: »
    Wow, got lost in that, couldn't really be rereading it, guessing you don't like them but you don't shop there so it doesn't really matter a business grows through satisfying it's customers so Tesco's must be doing something right, yes? If they were such evil doers then no-one would shop there.

I'll continue to shop there as long as they give me the best value for my euro.
    I know several who work in the local Tesco and they sing it's praise.

I bet the staff in their Douglas, Cork, store or indeed the staff working for suppliers in Bangladesh, South Korea or Thailand that wouldn't agree with that. And all for some greedy customers who want it cheap no matter who had to suffer.... is this the 'value' for your euro you are talking about??

jenzz wrote: »
    Where did I say it was a requirement to hire Irish? Im stating that im not happy with them choosing to hire elsewhere.
    So you’re not saying that they should be required to hire Irish, you’re just pissed off that they didn’t hire Irish? Have I got that right now?

I think I have answered that question quite substantially in the thread you have already mentioned.
    No, you haven’t – you consistently skirt around the subject. So I’ll make it real simple; do you think the population of this country should support Irish businesses regardless of any additional costs incurred?
    …support a company that is outsourcing staff contracts to limit their legal responsibility with these workers.
    Suppose Tesco outsources to Irish businesses? That ok?
    Also if you want to support the monopolistic agenda of Tesco in the creation of 'Tesco Towns' and wiping out all competition…
    This is just sensationalist nonsense. As I stated on another thread, you are grossly over-exaggerating Tesco’s influence and/or market share in this country because it suits your argument to do so.
    I am switching more and more to buy from local suppliers, green grocers and butcher and bakeries. I don't buy crap from supermarkets that are full of chemicals and altough it is more time consuming and more cooking I am saving probably €120 a week from what I used to spend.
    You’re saving €120 per week by not shopping in supermarkets? Pull the other one.
    I bet the staff in their Douglas, Cork, store … wouldn't agree with that.
    If Tesco are such appalling employers, then how did they manage to attract so many employees? Surely if their work practices are so deplorable, their staff would have left long ago?

• Advertisement

No, you haven’t – you consistently skirt around the subject. So I’ll make it real simple; do you think the population of this country should support Irish businesses regardless of any additional costs incurred?
    Suppose Tesco outsources to Irish businesses? That ok?
    This is just sensationalist nonsense. As I stated on another thread, you are grossly over-exaggerating Tesco’s influence and/or market share in this country because it suits your argument to do so.
    You’re saving €120 per week by not shopping in supermarkets? Pull the other one.
    If Tesco are such appalling employers, then how did they manage to attract so many employees? Surely if their work practices are so deplorable, their staff would have left long ago?

bla bla bla, same old arguments I have heard from you before. I really wonder why you consistently defend Tesco's business practices... I have asked time and time again for you to reveal if you have any relationship with Tesco? Do you work for them or are you a representative for the company? Its a simple no or yes. I have laid out my cards, I am not part of any organisation or group, or have any affiliation to anyone in the retail sector. I used to work in retail up until January of this year but no connections since then. I have already made my position clear on the issues you have asked in the thread you have mentioned earlier. In that thread you also refused to read my response and went around in circles asking the same question.

Advertisement