Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claims of IRA membership

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

javaboy wrote: »
    It's an old saying that's probably been around in some form for hundreds of years. A version of it features in the lyrics of Heard it through the grapevine.

Lovely song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

javaboy wrote: »
    It's an old saying that's probably been around in some form for hundreds of years. A version of it features in the lyrics of Heard it through the grapevine.

I came in late in this Thread and for a second i thought that maybe was a Rebel Song going by the Thread title and that Marvin Gaye was a Republican eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

An uncle of mine told me that he was in the IRA, and on a couple of other occasions, particularly when he was pissed, he also owned up to being in MI5, MI6, and also mentioned that KGB was after him. He is now in a deep cover situation disguised as a hospital porter somewhere in England.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

Im originally from south armagh and grew up in the troubles. Put it this way, the lads mouthing off in the pubs about being in the IRA are usually full of ****. Its The lad quietly sitting enjoying his pint is the one to look out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

dlofnep wrote: »
    Couldn't care less if she suffers - much like, she couldn't care less for the lifes of Republicans.

Nothing you will say is going to create empathy for that old cúntbucket. Don't waste your time. Seriously.. I'm not even bothered.

Palestine, I'm certainly not bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Rt. Hon. wrote: »

Is there any kind of databse that can be consulted about this sort of thing

IRA Database

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Reminds me of the time Seamus Murphy appeared on the TV quiz show 'Mastermind'..

Voice from the audience "FAIR PLAY TO YA SEAMUS, TELL THE BASTARDS FUCK ALL"..

:D

murf313 wrote: »
    Im originally from south armagh and grew up in the troubles. .

Jesus lads, 'tis Murphy himself!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

liah wrote: »
    I had an encounter with one of these "members" the other week.

My mother was visiting from Canada. She's one of those super paranoid flighty types who says I have meningitis if I have a sore throat, or thinks I'll get raped and murdered if I walk 100ft down the country road to the petrol station to pick up a chocolate bar.

I brought her to Mullingar into the pub I (used to) frequent one afternoon. It's a bit of an "old man pub," you know the type. Good Guinness and some grumpy old men at the top of the bar and not much else. Proper Irish type pub like, figured my mother would love it for its "authenticity" (she eats that stuff up).

So we're sitting there and I get her her first pint of proper Guinness, as she's only ever had the stuff from the can back home. An old weathered man comes and sidles up beside us and starts chattering away as the Irish are wont to do when they've had a couple and there's no one else around to talk to. He'd obviously been after drinking all day and was doing The Sway, but harmless enough.

After awhile he cops that we're not Irish, and although I've lived here for nearly a year at this point and was wise enough to the bullshít that can be spouted on such occasions, my mother was as of yet unprepared. So when he first mentioned the IRA, she turned to me, eyes wild with apprehension, wondering what I had gotten her into.

I, of course, being the complete antithesis of my mother just kind of rolled my eyes at her. And he continued, in a mix of drunken slur and a proper bogger accent;

"Well ah mee-un ah doo-un beleev in hortin' anybody, yanno like. But sum-tymes, ye gotta do what ye gotta do, n' when ah was in de Eye Orr Ay, ah may haf had to do sum unpleasant tings like. The bombs wurr nevar fun but dey had to be done, yanno like. But ah nevar wanted'de hort a soul, I didna."

My mother, turgid with fear at this point, is giving me the Universal Look for "what the hell kind of place did you drag me into?!" and it was all I could do to not burst out laughing. He regaled us with tales of the 'RA and car bombs and The North, and how he had seen "too much, too much." How "nobody should ever have to do what he had to do, nobody should ever see the things he had seen." Oh, the woes and hard times he described.

My mother was transfixed; a mixture of petrification and morbid fascination, held together only by ample pints of Guinness. He, of course, was feeding off of her energy and the stories got more and more detailed and horrific, her eating up every last word.

"Ah miss, ye'd not want ta haf seen the looks on the faces ov the chillun who'd lost der families, ah it'd break yer heart in two so it would, so it would. Sure te see 'em ye'd tink ye wurr in hell itself, so you would. Consider yerselves blessed, girls, so blessed ye never had to witness these horrible tings."

Between revelations he'd take a swig of his pint of Smithwicks, and subsequently spit a fair amount of it back out as he spoke. He was in his own world now, and nobody could take him out of it. The bartender simply shook his head, having heard all the same before.

It was at this point I could tell my mother felt she'd enough Dutch courage to attempt to engage in conversation. However, I'd heard quite enough and decided it was about time to pull my now also swaying mother away from the scene.

I heard a faint "God bless yez!" as we exited the pub.

After we left the pub, all she could say was "My god Liah, are these the kind of people you've been hanging out with around here? Are you sure you're safe? It seems so dangerous! Have you seen any bombs?! I don't want you going out on your own!"

..followed closely by "Oh, but I can't wait to tell everyone back home that I met a real IRA man!"

:rolleyes:

bet your mother will be really disappointed when she finds out it was actually only a provo *yawn* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

My boyfriend's from Donegal and there's a few people up and around there that you'd kinda suspect of having some involvement, fellas who were in jail for years but never talk about anything about before they got out, people who everyone just knows they were involved in stuff to do with the IRA but you don't talk about it except between yerselves and I think that's the difference. They don't go shouting about the gaf going "I was in the IRA, I made bombs and did 20 years for it!" :rolleyes:

Pretty much how it is. An old aquaintance of mine was a volunteer in the border area in the 80's. He ended up doing 4 years in Port Laoise after being caught red handed with a small stash of guns and blowing up a petrol station that was providing fuel to british army/RUC. He's now a respected member of the community and you certainly won't hear him mentioning his past. He does get the piss taken out of him on occasion especially about the manner of his arrest....he was caught polishing the guns on the kitchen table!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

i dont see why you left a link to the Sinn Fein website as an IRA Database.Sinn Fein are a political party not a Republican database..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I know a guy who used to go around telling everyone he was in the 'ra.
    Funnily enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

^
    Another victim of the special criminal court...a detective garda and the DPP decide that this guy is in the provos and he gets locked up. How do you prove membership...copy of the green book, balaclava, Bobby Sands poster?
    No, just the opinion of a garda will do for now. :rolleyes:
    I don't ever recall anyone being charged with membership and eventually getting off with it...if you make it to the SCC then next stop is Portlaoise...don't try and tell me that innocent people haven't slipped through the cracks of that system over the years

The good news is that now, anyone with two mates caught breaking a law (a serious offence for now) can potentially end up the same way as this guy...detained, charged with membership of a gang styling itself [whatever] and locked up. The rule of law has been undermined, not by those who would seek to pervert and thwart it but by those tasked with dispensing it.
    Free country my arse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Note the "goth band" rule:

Any band that boasts about being goth isnt, any band that has to repeatedly deny being goth are.

Same with provies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Members of the P-IRA were told they were not to attend any republican commerations/fundraisers or other events, so that the authorities wouldn't be able to put names to faces and the sort. Had anyone really come from a background like that (Remember that old propaganda poster, loose talk costs lives!) I find it very hard to believe they'd go on to become a barroom 'wasn't i feckin' brilliant' kind of character.

I've heard similar stories a few times, and bought very few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

I went home to culchie land the other week and got talking to this guy who I hadn't seen in years. He's about 5 or so years younger than me and didn't remember me from primary school and yet he felt the need to tell me he was in the IRA ('Not the real IRA, the PROPER IRA' as he put it). I was holding a bit of drink at this stage and thought it was a good idea to pretend to be really impressed by this.

He then said his family don't talk to him any more because he stabbed someone but it was ok though because he stabbed them in the back and they lived. He was telling me about his guns and how he bricked someone. I simply sat there staring at him thinking 'Are you actually thick?' which he mistook for awe. I hadn't seen this kid in about 13 years and this was how he decided to strike up a conversation!?! It was all very surreal.

Advertisement