Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Company security breach question?

Options
  • 30-06-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

So a month ago I paid, over the phone, my car inurance renewal for the year, with insurance company ***** (I could name it but I dont know where that stands legally speaking)

Well my insurance disc never showed up in the post so I rang them last week to check on the progress, as the one I have is out of date today, and they said they would get it out to me.

This morning I received in the post a covering letter addressed to myself but the rest of the contents of the envelope were addressed to a "Miss X, A street, Co. Blah" including her insurance disc. I have details about her including name, address, car reg and the fact that she is due to receive a refund cheque in the post shortly!

I rang the insurance company and they are going to swiftpost me a reprint of my insurance disc and want me to send back the other ladies post to them. I offered to maybe drop it in to a local Garda station, but no they just want me to pop it in the post to them.

But so may questions still remain. Who has my details and my insurance disc? If I was this lady I would want to know what is happening with my details. Should I try to contact her? Is there any reason to inform the Gardai or is there a more relevant authority?

I know there isnt a huge amount of info after getting out but surely any is too much. Am I over reacting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds like someone just put the wrong documents with the wrong letter. Human error.

These things happen.

Just send it back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Send it back, but I would be slightly worried about where my disc was if her's is in your envelope.

Similar happened to me years ago with a savings policy, and I had to get the bank to write a letter guaranteeing the safety of my savings, the person who (presumably) received my savings certificate could possibly have cashed it in.

Make sure they cancel your old policy document, and that they make note that it was lost in the post. Get written proof of this from them, as you don't want some claim to turn up out of the blue somewhere down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Its errors like this that dont make repeat sales

I sent my CV off to a recruitment agency about 1year ago
    Lovely people but the dosy receptionist emailed me CV someone unknown
    If companies are making small errors cut them loose
    I certainly did with recruitment agency - told them I got other job offer

Advertisement