Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Recycling Centre Closed

Options
  • 30-06-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Fingal County Council have pulled the funding... following is from the fcc website:
    Subsidy ends at Balbriggan Recycling Centre

With effect from close of business Saturday 27th June, the Balbriggan Recycling Centre will no longer be subsidised by Fingal County Council.
    As a result the recycling centre will permanently close as FMW Recycling have indicated they are not in a position to run the site without the funding.

This centre is run by FMW Recycling and heavily subsidised by Fingal County Council. As the range of materials accepted at this recycling centre is well catered for by other services available in the Balbriggan area, the Council cannot continue to bear this cost in the current economic climate. The following recycling facilities continue to be available to householders in the Balbriggan area:
    Paper and cardboard, food and drink cans and plastic packaging can be recycling in your household Green Bin
    Glass can be deposited in 5 bottle banks provided in Balbriggan
    WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment) can be returned to retailers on a like for like basis when new equipment is purchased

Estuary Recycling Centre at Swords accepts a full range of recyclable materials from Fingal residents from Wednesday to Saturday between 9.00am and 4.00pm.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had loads of stuff to go over:(

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

ah no that is terrible, used to go down there every two weeks with stuff, must check out what plastic packaging the green bin will take

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

There is one at Swords down the road from Woodies. They take a wider range of stuff than Balbriggan did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The one in Lusk is also gone, I thought this government was all for recycling? *feigned surprise*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So, last year, there was recycling all week in Balbriggan and Ballally. Now there's only recycling 4 days a week in Swords. All for an extra hundred and ten euros a year....

That WEEE statement is a cop out, not all waste equipment will be replaced with like for like, who buys vcr's for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Do any of them take used engine oil??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The one in Swords does take oil, the other two are shut....
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/Recycling/RecyclingFacilities/EstuaryRecyclingCentre/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thats great- its free too- used to charge for oil iirc!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paulie13

Couldn't believe this. Dropped down some cardboard to the recycling center on the Harry Reynolds Road and was told that there is now a charge of €3 per carload. Since my management fee already covers the costs of the bins for the estate I live in, I ever only recycled as I figured it was the right thing to do. To be charged to do this is rediculous IMO. Where the hell is the incentive to recycle if you're only going to be left out of pocket as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Fingal County Council do not fund this recycling centre anymore

See here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Yeah you have to go to the estuary recycling centre in Swords now instead.

Advertisement