Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can I change vodafone apn remotly on a laptop

• 30-06-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

I work for a large company that uses the vodafone 3G data cards and the also internal cards in the newer laptops. We have up to 1000 laptop users.

The users connect through a apn. The problem we are having is that we now need to change this apn in the vodafone dashboard software to allow them to connect to a new 10mb line.
    One of the lads has tried to write a vb script and send it out via sms to change the APN but it does not work and vodafone know no way of doing this remotley.

Would anyone have any experience in this and or know how I can get a script done up to change the settings. The settings have to be changed when the user is logged in and not under a different profile.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm moving this to midband, though I don't think it really belongs here any more than in broadband. I don't think there is a suitable forum for this question, bar maybe asking the people who wrote the Vodafone software (possibly Huawei). I get the feeling it's simply not possible to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

Thanks Jor el.
    It is a bit of a difficult one alright. I know it is possible with alot of other software but I just cant get it to work with this one. Vodafone are the developers of the software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fischer

I presume this is a private APN (an APN used only by your company) rather than a generic APN like live.vodafone.ie or hs.vodafone.ie ?

If its a private APN, Vodafone can just point their DNS at the new circuit i.e. oldapn.mycorp.ie and newapn.mycorp.ie can both point at the same IPSec or leased line that links you to them.

If you really need to rollout a change to this large a number of laptops, it will depend on the data card version(s) you are using. All store their APN details differently. E.g. the Huawei stores its APN's in a file called scheme.cfg (among other places). You might be able to take the relevant files from a correctly configured laptop and distribute them to remote clients? This worked for me on the e220.

Fischer.

Advertisement