Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Criminal Justice (Amendment) Bill 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

I've always found the Irish Council for Civil Liberties to be really good - they fight a fight that few others will bother even attempting - but reading up on this Bill, it seems like it really has the potential to do some good. Gangland crime is a new kind of criminal activity and it needs new legislation to deal with it.

The Bill specifies that people who are charged under it have to have involved with *criminal* activities of the gang. Let's face it, it's not normal, law-abiding people who are going to get charged under this. The guards know exactly who these guys are but haven't been able to get them under existing legislation. Is it breaching the civil liberties of the criminals? Perhaps, but I'd argue that they forfeited some of those liberties the moment they broke the law.

So if it means that there's less people dealing drugs, killing each other, intimidating witnesses and all the other shít that these gangs have been up to over the past few years, well, bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stargal wrote: »
    I've always found the Irish Council for Civil Liberties to be really good - they fight a fight that few others will bother even attempting - but reading up on this Bill, it seems like it really has the potential to do some good. Gangland crime is a new kind of criminal activity and it needs new legislation to deal with it.

The Bill specifies that people who are charged under it have to have involved with *criminal* activities of the gang. Let's face it, it's not normal, law-abiding people who are going to get charged under this. The guards know exactly who these guys are but haven't been able to get them under existing legislation. Is it breaching the civil liberties of the criminals? Perhaps, but I'd argue that they forfeited some of those liberties the moment they broke the law.

So if it means that there's less people dealing drugs, killing each other, intimidating witnesses and all the other shít that these gangs have been up to over the past few years, well, bring it on.

There has to be at least 3 people involved so at least 3 people can be called upon as defense if needed. They will also have a solicitor or barrister defending them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Wertz wrote: »
    What if they thoiught they'd get away with it? The story of that female garda from Bray the other week shows that members of the force are not above telling porkies to get their own way, consequences or not. The McBrearty case also bears testament to that.

Of course you will have a few who would try it on.That female garda was found out though.

The McBearty case was a disgrace,it only went so far in terms of prosecution as he was no law abiding citizen himself,far from it(thats no excuse though).I cant see something like that happening again tbh,what with that case being so high profile and the gardai involved in that where also found out,albeit very late on,but still found out.

I haven't read through the bill but I am assuming that the court cases will be held in the SCC.That is a big court,if I was a member of AGS I would be very reluctent to take some one there on a grudge,as no matter how incompetent people may think our courts are,they would not stand for something like that,let alone the DPP standing for it.

Of course you will always have a few who would try it on but not all Gardai are the grudge bearing type.

I think people are just displaying a paranoia,mostly because when our goverment introduces something that makes sense they balls it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Gangland crime is not new. Granted it may be worse now, but criminal gangs have operated and fought with each other as long as there has been a black market, which goes back way, way before our time.
    The Bill specifies that people who are charged under it have to have involved with *criminal* activities of the gang. Let's face it, it's not normal, law-abiding people who are going to get charged under this.
    A Normal person is not law abiding :p.
    The guards know exactly who these guys are but haven't been able to get them under existing legislation. Is it breaching the civil liberties of the criminals? Perhaps, but I'd argue that they forfeited some of those liberties the moment they broke the law.

Are you assuming they're guilty before they've been convicted?

See that's the kind of attitute that scares me. People thinking "yeah, this does kinda give the authorities more power than i'd like, but it's needed to fight x".

I can't see this approach working tbh, you're trying to beat the laws of economics. If you do manage to get a few crime bosses you'll create a power vacuum and then it'll really kick off :eek:.

Instead of slowly eroding civil liberties and taking more and more extreme measures, how about taking a step back and asking, "why do these gangs have such power in the first place?". I think you know what i'm getting at ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

smoking a spiff is enough to see you go down : )
    That's Fibbers, Bruxelles, and Eamonn Dorans ****ed, then :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

I'd like to draw your attention to this. Definition of criminal gang changed from:
    has as its main purpose or main activity the commission or facilitation of one or more serious offences in order to obtain, directly or indirectly, a financial or other material benefit;

to this:
    Amendment wrote:
    “‘criminal organisation’ means a structured group, however organised, that has as its main purpose or activity the commission or facilitation of a serious offence;”,

Suddenly any "serious offence" (i.e. punishable by 4+ years in prison) is considered a criminal organisation. What is the implications of changing this and what is the reason it is being changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Definition of criminal gang changed:

Suddenly any "serious offence" (i.e. punishable by 4+ years in prison) is considered a criminal organisation. What is the implications of changing this and what is the reason it is being changed?

In other words - any three people doing anything together that's punishable by 4+ years makes them eligible for warrant-less detention on the word of a single Garda...

Given the Police force is about to have it's numbers slashed dramatically in the face of the forthcoming cuts I'd imagine there's an awful lot of porky pigs going to be clogging up the secret courts with arrests of this nature so as not to lose their jobs...

If i lived in a house with someone who casually sold a bit of smoke every once in a while, or if I lived with someone with an interest in "gardening" right now I would be hitting ctrl+t and heading STRAIGHT for daft.ie....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

I think weed is making some of you awfully paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Relevant wrote: »
    I think weed is making some of you awfully paranoid.

yes, because only people who smoke weed are the ones who find the concept of warrentless detentions to be worrisome. No clean living, upstanding citizen could ever be concerned with the erosion of civil liberties for the illusion of security.
    No siree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This law is being brought in to combat the serious criminal element that intimidates witnesses and survives on the basis that nobody is willing to give evidence out of fear.

I was walking through Summerhill last Sunday and saw a car smashed to pieces with "rats out" written on it. This type of intimidation means the criminals can operate freely in the knowledge that nobody will "rat" on them for fear of retribution. The Gardai know who these people are and know they have committed shootings and intimidation but are unable to secure a conviction due to the lack of people willing to give evidences.

This bill takes away the one thing that was protecting these scumbags and now finally they will be held accountable for their actions.

Yay they'll be accountable and get a 4 year sentence, 3 years suspended and time off for good behaviour and they'll be back out to get you 24 weeks because the jail was full.

A local drug dealer was caught in possession of an unlicensed handgun and burned down a few boats and didn't even see jail for a day.

What's the point in this legislation if the sentences will be bullsh1t anyway?

I know if I was a member of the Gardai that's what would annoy me most. You go to all the trouble of bringing a decent case to court and the guy gets a suspended sentence. Would boil my blood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd like to draw your attention to this. Definition of criminal gang changed from:

to this:

They got Capone for tax evasion. If they had this change in the US laws at the time, they could of sent his entire organisation down for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

humanji wrote: »
    They got Capone for tax evasion. If they had this change in the US laws at the time, they could of sent his entire organisation down for it.

And wasn't Capone's rise to power amplified by the Prohibition era of the 1920's & 30's, the same goes for our crime lords today, their Power is supported by Prohibition of "New" drugs, Tobacco, Mushrooms, Acid, Marijuna, Ecstacy, Cocaine and to a lesser extent Herion.
    Prohibition didn't work then and it dosen't work now!

People are suggesting arming the Garda along with the eroding of basic Human Rights, this is going to lead to one thing, more voilent deaths, Prohibition has to stop now before our street really start to run with the blood of fallen Heroes.

We should listen to history, it eventually got it right.

And wasn't Capone's rise to power amplified by the Prohibition era of the 1920's & 30's, the same goes for our crime lords today, their Power is supported by Prohibition of "New" drugs, Tobacco, Mushrooms, Acid, Marijuna, Ecstacy, Cocaine and to a lesser extent Herion.
    Prohibition didn't work then and it dosen't work now!

People are suggesting arming the Garda along with the eroding of basic Human Rights, this is going to lead to one thing, more voilent deaths, Prohibition has to stop now before our street really start to run with the blood of fallen Heroes.

We should listen to history, it eventually got it right.
    You not think it might be an idea to get people to stop abusing alcohol before flooding the market with a load of other drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Bill specifies that people who are charged under it have to have involved with *criminal* activities of the gang. Let's face it, it's not normal, law-abiding people who are going to get charged under this. The guards know exactly who these guys are but haven't been able to get them under existing legislation. Is it breaching the civil liberties of the criminals?

Allow me to stick a big horsesh*te tag on that concept. Our glorious leaders brought in lovely stuff like abolition of the right to silence, offences against the state, the special criminal courts, extended detention periods and told us they were extraordinary adn temporary powers to protect the state from the danger of being overthrown by the bleedin provos. We were assured that these powers would never become the norm, and they did. I'm sick of the govt lowering the bar just because the gardai cant get results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

humanji wrote: »
    You not think it might be an idea to get people to stop abusing alcohol before flooding the market with a load of other drugs?

All the drugs are already there, there's going to be no mass flood of drugs were already at saturatiuon point. We need to take the power from the criminal gangs, there's only 2 ways to do that, one is to shoot every mother fupper in the room and the other is start the legilisation and regulation process.

I'm not pro drugs but i'm anti prohibition.

• Advertisement

Well there's many more options than the two you gave, and simply legalising drugs won't get rid of gangs. A drugdealer isn't going to say to himself "Hmm, drugs are legal now. It's time for me to go to college and get that IT degree I've been hankering for."

And besides this thread isn't about only going after drug dealers. These gangs are into a lot more than just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

In general regular people may not be 100% law abiding but how many regular citizens go around committing serious (4+ years imprisonment) offences? .

This Act is obviously aimed only at gangland crime which includes being able to convict the person who gives the orders aswell as the person who pulls the trigger. Its aimed at protecting witnesses. Its aimed at cracking down on an area that is very difficult to police.

Of course it is open to abuse - like most laws - but in fairness a guard on a personal vendetta would want to be out of his mind to go before the special criminal court unless he has something very solid to go on.

Perhaps the word of one guard should be changed to the word of one guard ranking not lower than x.. or the word of two guards or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Uve nothing to worry about if ur a model citizen.

About time they started cracking down hard on the scum.

Thats all well and good if you are not detained. Any model citizen can be a suspect for a crime.

Iang87 wrote: »
    great idea about time these pricks were targetted properly
    It would make that much of a difference to the normal citizen.The Gardai are not going to waste their time pulling you up on every little thing you do wrong.
    This bill will be used to go after those that everyone knows it was brought in for,the drug gangs.
    Uve nothing to worry about if ur a model citizen.

About time they started cracking down hard on the scum.
    This bill takes away the one thing that was protecting these scumbags and now finally they will be held accountable for their actions.
    magick wrote: »
    i completely support, if anything the bill doesnt go far enough

This makes me so worried. How can there be so many people who have no concept of their own civil liberties?

It doesn't matter who the Bill is aimed at. The Offences Against the State Act was aimed at the IRA. That is EXACTLY who it was aimed at. How often has it been used for other purposes? It is one of the most detested pieces of legislation in the western hemisphere.

This Bill might be aimed at gangland crime but it is, in essence, a tool and tools can be used for more than one purpose.

This makes me so worried. How can there be so many people who have no concept of their own civil liberties?

My civil liberties aren't going to be impacted in the slightest. I am not involved in criminal activities so have no need to worry about the ERU kicking in my door and detaining me for 7 days. On the other hand all the criminal gangs who are going about their business safe in the knowledge that the law is protecting them will now no longer have the upper hand in certain parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

For the paranoid types who are bringing up McBrearty and Fairbrother etc... We didn't have the Garda Ombudsman back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

My civil liberties aren't going to be impacted in the slightest.

Magenta'd for filthy lies.

Protip - laws impact everyone in the country, just because you think you're not a criminal doesn't mean this (or any) law won't affect you. By virtue of the fact you recognise that the civil liberties of "scum" are being affected, so too are yours.

Thinking otherwise is just foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

THE IRISH Human Rights Commission (IHRC) has criticised several provisions of a new Bill aimed at organised criminal gangs, describing them as disproportionate and unnecessary.

The Criminal Justice (Amendment) Bill, was yesterday published by Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern and is expected to become law before the Oireachtas summer recess.

It includes a new offence of directing or controlling a criminal organisation and provides for organised crime offences to be tried in the Special Criminal Court. Organised crime offences will be “scheduled offences”, bringing them within the ambit of the Offences Against the State Act so that they will be tried in the non-jury Special Criminal Court.

Mr Ahern called the legislation “ground-breaking”.

However, at a media briefing yesterday, human rights commission member Michael Farrell said the section of the Bill which creates new “scheduled offences” struck at the centuries-old right to trial by jury

It would not solve the problem of the intimidation of witnesses who were identified in the Special Criminal Court in the same way as in ordinary courts, he said.

Mr Farrell said the commission recognised the problem posed by organised crime, but he questioned the haste with which this Bill was being rushed through.

Director of the Irish Council for Civil Liberties Mark Kelly said provisions such as “secret detention hearings and detention on the unsupported word of a single garda, trample upon the rule of law.”

The Bill introduces a new offence of “directing” the activities of a criminal organisation, which carries a sentence of up to life imprisonment. An actual crime does not have to be committed to invoke this offence.

It will also be possible to refuse bail to those suspected of involvement in a gang in certain circumstances. The Bill would also allow expert Garda opinion on the operations of criminal gangs to be admissible in evidence, including hearsay. There is also a provision that certain information supporting the application may be given in the absence of the suspect and his or her legal representative.
    Fine Gael’s spokesman on justice Charlie Flanagan said increased resources for the office of the DPP and the Garda Síochána was the way to tackle gangland activity.

The Labour Party said the Bill could be unconstitutional by abandoning the right to trial by jury and the party opposed the Bill as it stood.

Irish Times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0701/1224249838748.html?digest=1

Wise Up Journal.
    http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My civil liberties aren't going to be impacted in the slightest. I am not involved in criminal activities so have no need to worry about the ERU kicking in my door and detaining me for 7 days.

Who's to say that it won't happen to you?
    Can you vouch for all the people that you've ever had dealings with?
    Will you happily walk away with a "sorry, old chap, seems we got it wrong" shouted after you when they kick you back out on the pavement after 7 days of heavy interrogation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

When gangs began interfering with witnesses and jurors through intimidation and assault it was only a matter of time before the State began to interfere with their civil liberties.

If I were a gangland figure I would be more concerned about the State's ability to disrupt my activities when this law is enshrined than I would be at the moment. That is the important thing.

While I am not comfortable with all of the sweeping changes contained in it I do believe the State needed to take action and will watch closely the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

From nanny state to police state I can see it happen quite easily in this country. I don't trust the government, I'd be completely opposed to giving them any more power or money.

There's a growing crime problem because of the way this country and it's systems are set up. Thought and planning are alien concepts to the people in power they can't even see the source of the problem so they've absolutely no hope of fixing it.

The government are trying to bash a thumbtack with a sledgehammer all they're going to cause is more conflict and encourage the bad guys to continue to raise the stakes and become more violent. It completely sickens me that they gladly make the same stupid mistakes every other country did 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

ScumLord wrote: »
    From nanny state to police state.

It's like you read my mind.

+1 on the rest of that btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Just a point to all in favour of this bill. If we follow this to its conclusion. We will be passing laws to lock up 8 year old kids that are been used by criminals to carry guns/drugs for them.

Criminals will always find a way to stay one step ahead of the law.

This law, if passed, is bringing Ireland close to what Nazi Germany was like. Noone liked the Jews (seen as scumbags in there time) and so people allowed laws to be passed that done away with there rights.

If we lived in a perfect world, where every member of the Gardai was honest and true. Id support this law. But this is not the way life is. People hold a grudge, have other agendas etc..........."Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it" William Pitt 1770

chem wrote: »

This law, if passed, is bringing Ireland close to what Nazi Germany was like. Noone liked the Jews (seen as scumbags in there time) and so people allowed laws to be passed that done away with there rights.
    Are you comparing the rounding up and mass execution of people based on religion to the passing of a law which makes it more difficult to direct a criminal gang, shoot people and sell drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Was that not always the case? I don't think I've ever seen anyone walk around a town openly toking on a joint regardless of garda presence

I smoked a joint whilst walking by a guard once... Fun times :D

• Advertisement

Just a point to all in favour of this bill. If we follow this to its conclusion. We will be passing laws to lock up 8 year old kids that are been used by criminals to carry guns/drugs for them.

They wouldn't be locked up. They'd quite rightly be put into care and away from those who are abusing them.

That's just a moronic thing to say. This amended act is a f*ck up, and was perfect described above as trying to bash a thumbtack with a sledgehammer. But comparing it to Nazi Germany is Godwining the thread for no good reason, as well as pissing on the memory or people who really suffered from an abuse of power.

I've heard this a 100 times before on new laws introduced to increase powers from groups like the civil liberties crowd,

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

<Generic Orwellian reference>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Leave the jews out of it and replace with "communists" and you've got a valid point.

Some light reading on what "emergency legislation" and "special powers" can be mis-used for:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire

(Warning: link not safe for typical AH audience, tl;dr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

<Generic Orwellian reference>
    <Generic Apple Superbowl advert reference>

peasant wrote: »
    Some light reading on what "emergency legislation" and "special powers" can be mis-used for:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire

And some light reading on why historical lessons may not be relevant here: Learning.

Society knows that emergency powers can be misused. Martin Van der Lubbe is relevant here only insofar as it shows that we should be cautious when governments bring in special powers, not that they should never be used again. The lessons of Nineteen Eighty-Four have been learned. The Limerick feuds are not a government-designed plot aimed at dictatorship. The CJB is not a government-designed plot to arrest Enda Kenny, Eamon Gilmore and Gerry Adams. They're laws aimed at stopping the rot destroying an entire community.

To paraphrase Niemöller: they're not coming for the Opposition, they're not coming for the Protestants, they're not coming for the poor. They're coming for scum. This government is absolutely brutal at overseeing the economy, but I do not think for a second there's anything under-handed about this Bill.

I trust that if anyone if unfairly detained under this law that there will be outrage. I also trust that people will continue to die unless you're allowed to detain these pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I trust that if anyone if unfairly detained under this law that there will be outrage.
    Oh, indeed.
    And as we all know, that source of 99% of Irish Outrage, indymedia.ie is highly respected. And those displays of Irish Outrage, the Protest Marches, are always listened to.

It's not so much that I disagree with you TE, it's just that if outrage is the mechanism which you foresee being the check or balance to this bill, I'm wondering why you think that mechanism would ever have any effect on any government, made up of any party.

And some light reading on why historical lessons may not be relevant here: Learning.

Society knows that emergency powers can be misused. Martin Van der Lubbe is relevant here only insofar as it shows that we should be cautious when governments bring in special powers, not that they should never be used again. The lessons of Nineteen Eighty-Four have been learned. The Limerick feuds are not a government-designed plot aimed at dictatorship. The CJB is not a government-designed plot to arrest Enda Kenny, Eamon Gilmore and Gerry Adams. They're laws aimed at stopping the rot destroying an entire community.

To paraphrase Niemöller: they're not coming for the Opposition, they're not coming for the Protestants, they're not coming for the poor. They're coming for scum. This government is absolutely brutal at overseeing the economy, but I do not think for a second there's anything under-handed about this Bill.

I trust that if anyone if unfairly detained under this law that there will be outrage. I also trust that people will continue to die unless you're allowed to detain these pricks.

They were coming for the 'RA twenty years ago and those laws are still in place despite that particular bogieman being long gone. Our leaders have shown that they don't like putting the genie back in the its bottle in these situations. If they can't secure convictions against these f***ers its not because they lack draconian legislation.

There was outrage over nicky kelly...he still did time, there was outrage over the mcbrearty's didn't make any difference to them. Outrage isn't enough.

Sparks wrote: »
    It's not so much that I disagree with you TE, it's just that if outrage is the mechanism which you foresee being the check or balance to this bill, I'm wondering why you think that mechanism would ever have any effect on any government, made up of any party.

Because I'm taking a broader perspective. There will always be corruption that will go unpunished, but thankfully in Ireland it's the odd case here or there, or something relatively minor. On the other hand, criminal gangs are really ruining lives (and indeed ending them) in parts of this country. It's possible there will be one or two innocent people who will suffer as a consequence of the law, it's maybe even likely, but it will almost certainly save more than one or two lives. With any luck it will stop the rot that will ruin thousands.

When I talk about outrage, I talk about the potential for serious abuse of this Bill. From what I can see, the main points are transferral of the administration of justice from intimidated juries to a panel of three judges; and the ability to detain for a week. We're more than capable of showing outrage at poor judicial decisions and detention for a week is hardly internment. The debate about this Bill should include a reference to the Reichstad fires, but primarily because society now knows to watch the execution of powers under such acts with much more caution than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This government is absolutely brutal at overseeing the economy, but I do not think for a second there's anything under-handed about this Bill.
    I don't think the government are trying anything under handed as such. I don't believe they're bad people out to cripple the country and I suppose it wouldn't be fair to call them idiots either. I'm sure they're intelligent people.

They're just short and narrow sighted they can't be trusted to make the best decisions for the country over they're own vested interests and popularity.

The system can't handle the modern world as far as I'm concerned. Burn it! Burn it all down. :eek:

Bambi wrote: »
    They were coming for the 'RA twenty years ago and those laws are still in place despite that particular bogieman being long gone. Our leaders have shown that they don't like putting the genie back in the its bottle in these situations. If they can't secure convictions against these f***ers its not because they lack draconian legislation.

There was outrage over nicky kelly...he still did time, there was outrage over the mcbrearty's didn't make any difference to them. Outrage isn't enough.

Real IRA/Continuity IRA?

Can you point where these emergency powers have been used in non terrorism cases?

K-9 wrote: »
    Can you point where these emergency powers have been used in non terrorism cases?

Used for Gilligan and his mates, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Because I'm taking a broader perspective.
    Ah, the "big picture" argument.
    You do realise you're not so much taking a step towards a slippery slope as you are covering yourself in KY Jelly and taking a flying leap down said slope with that particular argument, yes?
    We're more than capable of showing outrage at poor judicial decisions
    While it's a wonderful thing that despite the state of libel laws in this country, we can still get some access to opinions and facts such as those, might I ask... what actual effect did such outrage have?
    Have judges been required to take pay cuts (despite there being fairly straightforward legal precedents for such requirements)?
    Was the offence of statutory rape reinstated immediately?
    Was a judicial decision overturned?
    Or did people merely go on to read the next story while opposition TDs used the press coverage to ask this week's embarressing question while the government TDs kept their heads down and got on with whatever agenda they wished to pursue while the judiciary claimed it was above such low, common rabble-rousing?
    and detention for a week is hardly internment.
    Detention for a week is a week you can't give back. And while you could compensate the innocent for the loss of earnings, how will you compensate them for any damage to their name? How do you know that they won't lose a job at interview in three or four years when someone finds out that they have a record with the Gardai, even if indirectly (like finding out they've been refused vetting in a sports club because their name was on a list of those detained for a week under the Act)?

Look, it's like this. We've a lot of work to do, and we're making a power tool to do it. I'm all for that.

It's just that I'm also for handguards and safety goggles until such time as we can regrow fingers and eyeballs cheaply and quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

This government is absolutely brutal at overseeing the economy, but I do not think for a second there's anything under-handed about this Bill.

Neither do I, neither do I - I like to follow Hanlon's Razor by never attributing to malice that which can adequately be explalined by stupidity after all; to be fair I'm just extremely pessimistic about the possible effects of this poorly thought out legislation whcih erodes civil liberties in a way that would consider to be fundamentally opposed to the direction i would like this state to be heading in and that's being rushed out before the summer recess.

K-9 wrote: »
    Real IRA/Continuity IRA?

What terrorist organisation was john gilligan supposed to be in when he was up in the special criminal court?

Of course the biggest terrorist outrage in this country was the one the gardai and gubberment ran a mile from... the dublin monaghan bombings..offences against the state me arse.

• Advertisement

My civil liberties aren't going to be impacted in the slightest. I am not involved in criminal activities so have no need to worry about the ERU kicking in my door and detaining me for 7 days.

You are so right. Nobody has EVER been questioned for an offence they did not commit. A law has never been used in an inappropriate manner. The Gardai have never used a law to persecute someone in, say, Donegal or somewhere similar.

You are so naive.

Bambi wrote: »
    What terrorist organisation was john gilligan supposed to be in when he was up in the special criminal court?

You have a problem with how Gilligan was treated?
    Bambi wrote:
    Of course the biggest terrorist outrage in this country was the one the gardai and gubberment ran a mile from... the dublin monaghan bombings..offences against the state me arse.

That hasn't got anything to with the special criminal court though.

You are so right. Nobody has EVER been questioned for an offence they did not commit. A law has never been used in an inappropriate manner. The Gardai have never used a law to persecute someone in, say, Donegal or somewhere similar.

You are so naive.

Donegal was 12 years ago. Time people moved on.

This law will not change any of that. Your gripe is with something else, not this law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

I think that this may be a necessary evil but the worries contained in a lot of the posts so far are very valid. I can't see how it is going to affect the average citizen but there is certainly a danger that if a group of young adults in an area are troublemakers and they were to be caught in possession of drugs, there would be an obvious temptation for the guards to abuse these new laws and class these people as a criminal gang rather than as a gang of individual criminals. These criminals are not part of organised crime and they should be tried individually for their crimes(possession,vandalism or whatever it may be) and sentenced appropriately in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think the government are trying anything under handed as such. I don't believe they're bad people out to cripple the country and I suppose it wouldn't be fair to call them idiots either. I'm sure they're intelligent people.

They're just short and narrow sighted they can't be trusted to make the best decisions for the country over they're own vested interests and popularity.

The system can't handle the modern world as far as I'm concerned. Burn it! Burn it all down. :eek:

Will you be saying that when people start appearing before the special criminal court for civil disobedience.

We see in Mayo the local District Court Judge refused bail for people accused of what amounted to public order offences, Legal aid was also refused to those who may have been entitled to it, because she "couldn't be handing it out like smarties." obstructing the construction of the shell pipeline. Shell2Sea is a group of more than three people. What is to stop one Garda claiming that they are a criminal outfit resulting in them all being interned

• Advertisement
Advertisement