Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Syncing external synth with ableton

• 30-06-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

hey guys, hooked up my microkorg to my interface last week for the first time and have been jamming along with guru in ableton for the last few days.
    today i decided to record some of the sounds from the microkorg into ableton but having a few problems.

i have midi in and out and audio connected from synth to soundcard.
    i have set delay compensation as per the tutorial.
    the patch on the synth is an arpeggiator based thing with the notes triggering it being sent from ableton.
    ableton is set to sync to the midi out, and the synth is set to follow external tempo from midi in.
    when i use direct monitoring for the microkorg, it is in sync with the ableton metronome. but when i record the audio in from the microkorg its way off. i have to then edit the loop start and end points to get it so line up.
    its off by a much bigger amount then the delay compensation test suggests. is this because the midi info is being sent from ableton in the first place?

is there a tidier way of just recording in the arpeggiated loops from the synth without having to edit them to sync up afterwards? i guess i could adjust the delay compensation even more but then would i always have to adjust it depending on whether im just recording audio or recording audio which is being triggered by midi from ableotn?

appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

sorry should have RTFM, figured it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

ogy wrote: »
    sorry should have RTFM, figured it out!

:D

What was the solution in the end man.. Would like to know incase I ever encounter something similar! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

in the midi preferences page you can set a midi delay value for each midi input and output to delay each midi device your using by an appropriate amount, handy. though from looking online ableotn 7s rep as a master sync is not so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

ogy wrote: »
    in the midi preferences page you can set a midi delay value for each midi input and output to delay each midi device your using by an appropriate amount, handy. though from looking online ableotn 7s rep as a master sync is not so good!

That makes sense Man! Will remember that.

Yeah.. Ableton have to drip it out for the updates.

Expect the Final version with all of the features you want.. Never!

They're all the same ;)

Advertisement