Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beauty therapy advice

Options
  • 30-06-2009 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

im wanting to start studying beauty therapy and i dont know the right way to go about it. i have already previously been to college to study business studies but have dropped out now after 1 st year as i dont like it . This means i will loose my grant .

My two options are at the moment are to do a plc which will give me an itec qualification. With the plc there are no fees except for exams and you have to pay for your supplies . This course last 2 years

My next option would be to go to a private beauty school and this will give me itec , cidesco and cibtac qualifications and would be recognised in more places especially cidesco . This course lasts one year. I would have to pay fees of €5820 and also books and supplies so its goin to add up to around €10,000.

I have thought about maybe taking a year out and working and saving up the money and doin the course next year as its a lot of money plus i would be finished in the same time it would take me to do the plc and i would have more qualifications.

Im wondering is there anyone who could give me advice on my best optiona and also maybe a bit about the course and what its like .

thanks
    caoimhe:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

im in the same boat as you, but there is a beauty course in castlebar its ann tobin or somting like that its like 6 grand for everything or wise you could do a part time course ans work the other part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

Well if you have a job at the moment Id say hang onto that and do the beauty therapy part time otherwise i think youre better off going the plc route. Ok so you wont get a grant for the 1st year, id imagine you would for second year though, but if you consider that if you do it privately and fulltime you'll have the fees plus living expenses and no grant, at least fulltime plc you will just have living expenses. And after the first year you should have some of your main qualifications achieved so you might be able to get part time work using these or work freelance with them while doing second year. Get plenty add ons too like make up artist, nail technician, tanning for the sake of your career longterm

Advertisement