Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for computer science Masters

Options
  • 30-06-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

Well guys.

I'm planning to undertake my masters and hopefully my phd abroad. I am a bit stumped about how to go about a few things, especially my thesis.

Problems.

- I haven't worked in my degree field for over 2 years so I'm well rusty, especially considering I only have 2 years experience before that.

- I haven't a clue where to look for inspiration for my thesis. Everytime I seem to think of something good, I google and low and behold it has been done at least 5 times already. Is there somewhere online where I can view peoples past thesis' ?Obviously not to copy and paste but to help me understand whats required.

I am planning to take this on within the next year so I really want to prepare myself really well for this. Can people please give me some advice especially concerning the above problems.

Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

monosharp wrote: »
    - I haven't a clue where to look for inspiration for my thesis.

Look around you. :) Seriously - are you working? If so, look for processes that can be automated and/or improved via technology.
    Everytime I seem to think of something good, I google and low and behold it has been done at least 5 times already.

So what? That's not really a problem, as long as you put your unique slant on it and are not copying verbatim. Where you need something new and unique is your PhD.
    Is there somewhere online where I can view peoples past thesis' ?Obviously not to copy and paste but to help me understand whats required.

Your first port of call should be your college/university library. A select of past theses are always available to give you an idea of what was done, plus the standard required.
    I am planning to take this on within the next year so I really want to prepare myself really well for this. Can people please give me some advice especially concerning the above problems.

I've supervised a number of post-grad projects before, so feel free to bounce any ideas off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

If you are doing research you won't really be looking to make an application but rather find a small problem which has not been solved yet. You should really be looking at research journals not google for ideas.

It can take a long time to actually find a problem worth solving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

There's always the taught Masters route if you'd prefer? Usually one year full time with a project / mini thesis. I know UCC offer an MSc and UL have an MEng. UL's is offered part time too if you're still working. Bound to be lots of others out there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Have you met with your supervisor yet? Its pretty common at the start of a research masters or pHd for them to direct you into a particular area and then as you progress and become more familiar with the area and existing research you become more independent...

Advertisement