Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bora Speedo Blowing Fuses

• 30-06-2009 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Guys. I've a 00 Bora 1.4 that's Blowing Fuses in the Speedo Like there's no tomorrow. I cant figure out What's Blowing it. The only thing I could find on the same loop was the reverse lights. I took out the Bulbs and the Speedo is blowing fuses. Literally as soon as they go in. I need to get this sorted because I'm tryin gto sell the car and If the speedo's not working people will think the Mileage Isnt genuine. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Youve got a short somewhere, First place id be checking is around the speedo sender at the gearbox, there is also a known wiring fault under the battery box:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rocher

Thanks a Million Mate. I'll give that a try. Whats the best way to check? Look for Obvious damage or will I need a Mulimeter? I've actually had the gearbox sensor replaced already thinking it was that. unfortunately not and €50 outta pocket for my troubles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the reverse lights are on the same circuit then it could be the reverse light switch. The reverse light switch would be a more likely culprit than the dash unit.

I've a VW wiring diagram here for Golf/Bora and I'll check what else may be on the circuit.

EDIT : Looks like it's fuse no.7 (10 Amp, red) that may be one you are replacing. The only connection between the reverse light circuit and the dash insert circuit is before the fuse - they both use the same feed from the ignition switch. This feed supplies fuse 7 (10A - reverse light) and fuse 11 (5A - dash insert). Fuse 5 (7.5A - air recirculating flap) is also supplied by the same 12V feed from the ignition switch. Check fuses 5 & 11 and see if they are OK. Also check your reverse light bulb - if you have replaced any bulbs recently be sure that they are correct and in the correct location on the bulb holder. I've seen so many problems on VWs due to incorrectly fitted bulbs.

if you take out the battery,and the box and follow the loom from the sender, it travels up along and joins into a main loom, pull back sum of the insulation and check for breaks there, an other place you could get problems is corrosion under the black cover in by the wiper motor on the drivers side, remove 2 10mm nuts i think and theres a number of multi plugs, seperate these and check for corrosion etc:) worth a try

anon11 wrote: »
    if you take out the battery,and the box and follow the loom from the sender

I'm not being smart here - but what exactly do you mean?

• Advertisement

battery box not gearbox:p

if you take out the battery,and the box and follow the loom from the sender, it travels up along and joins into a main loom, pull back sum of the insulation and check for breaks there, an other place you could get problems is corrosion under the black cover in by the wiper motor on the drivers side, remove 2 10mm nuts i think and theres a number of multi plugs, seperate these and check for corrosion etc:) worth a try

Worth a try - spray in some contact spray too.

I'd be inclined to hook it up to diagnostic tool first. I'd also be inclined to take a multimeter to the reverse light switch.

battery box not gearbox:p

I assumed that.

I also assumed that you're referring to the gearbox speed sensor. The OP has 2000 1.4 engine most likely with an AHW engine and a DUW gearbox. The speed sensor should be near the final drive - middle left rear of the engine bay. So removing the battery (front left corner) won't help access the speed sensor.

I'd start by considering faulty components before rooting at the wiring unless there is a known wiring issue.

there is a known wiring problem! thats why i said to remove the battery box because its under this the wiring fails;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks Guys. I'll give that a try over the weekend and see if Something comes up.

• Advertisement

CrosstownK you were right. Just a dodgy bulb.. Took it out and it's all working grand.. Only have the one reversing bulb now but at least I have a speedo. Thanks a million both of ye. She's sold now anyway ;)

Advertisement