Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading Maps and POI on Garmin Nuvi 250

Options
  • 30-06-2009 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I need some real help! I have a Garmin Nuvi 250 Sat Nav. I've got Mapsource NT America 2010 from Garmin but I need some help with it.

How do I update my GPS to find POI's and Maps for Orlando? Im going over in August and I tried using mapsource but its not simple..

For example if I want to find Hotels in Orlando it seems I need to locate and upload them individually. I have them saved as Waypoint (i presume these are POI) however I can not find them in the Sat Nav menus when I export to SD Card..

Can anyone help or would i be better off just buying a cheap US satnav?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Once you have uploaded the required map segments from Mapsource then you will have everything on the unit. Uploading additional POI will be done seperately, but the maps will already have their own POI's for all the hotels etc. Someone else will have to help with the menus on the Nuvi but a US unit will be exactly the same as the one you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bigdaddytrev

robinph wrote: »
    Once you have uploaded the required map segments from Mapsource then you will have everything on the unit. Uploading additional POI will be done seperately, but the maps will already have their own POI's for all the hotels etc. Someone else will have to help with the menus on the Nuvi but a US unit will be exactly the same as the one you have.

Thanks for the reply mate...ive still got 2 problems....firstly, i cant get it to show orlando as an uploaded mad. When I choose all of Florida it only gives Tamps, Jacksonville, Miama, Cape Coral and Key West and even when I export it to the SD Card it doesnt show POI's from those areas...It doesnt even have basics

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Did you upload all of N. America, or did you choose just certain map tiles (i.e. Florida) to upload? I only ask because sometimes large urban areas have their own map tile, and it can be easy to accidentally miss them when individually selecting which tiles to upload.

For the latest UK & Ireland maps, Dublin is now a separate tile for example where it wasn't for previous versions, and clicking on the 3 bigger tiles individually, it's easy to overlook that you haven't included Dublin. The best way is to click and drag the map tile selection tool so you're selecting a whole area rather than clicking on individual map tiles.

If you've uploaded the whole map, then I don't know what the problem is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bigdaddytrev

Alun wrote: »
    Did you upload all of N. America, or did you choose just certain map tiles (i.e. Florida) to upload? I only ask because sometimes large urban areas have their own map tile, and it can be easy to accidentally miss them when individually selecting which tiles to upload.

For the latest UK & Ireland maps, Dublin is now a separate tile for example where it wasn't for previous versions, and clicking on the 3 bigger tiles individually, it's easy to overlook that you haven't included Dublin. The best way is to click and drag the map tile selection tool so you're selecting a whole area rather than clicking on individual map tiles.

If you've uploaded the whole map, then I don't know what the problem is.

Yeah mate i zoomed into it and choose all of Florida but it still doesnt show any POI's like Disney Parks or Hotels....any idea where i can download these POI's?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah mate i zoomed into it and choose all of Florida but it still doesnt show any POI's like Disney Parks or Hotels....any idea where i can download these POI's?
    I'd be pretty close to 100% sure they're in there somewhere.

When you go to the POI menu on your SatNav, are you selecting a location somewhere near where they are located as your reference point? In the first POI menu, before you choose a category, press the "Near..." button at the bottom, and choose "A Different City" and select somewhere in Florida. I'm pretty sure the Garmins won't show POI's that are considered too far away from your current location, so you have to give it a location to search near to first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement