Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Match-Up Wk1 - GSP v A.Silva

Options
  • 30-06-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

I was flicking through some other forums and they seem to have alot of fun with this.

So, this week, GSP v Anderson Silva, who do you think would win and why?

With which method do you think the win will be acheived?

Feel free to break down the fight as you please!

(ps, the match should be thought of at a P4P rate, imagine both men were the same natural weight)

GSP v Silva? 28 votes

GSP
    0% 0 votes
    Anderson Silva
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭JimmyFloyd

Although Silva is such a great striker and has such a great ground game, i think GSP is too good a wrestler.

GSP would take Silva down, pound him and completely dodge Silva's dangerous bottom game.

GSP by TKO, GnP, perhaps Round 3! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Nice idea. This one could well happen so not so much fantasy hopefully.

GSP by decision. Unless he got clocked very early. He can take a punch but remember Sera!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

gsp will take him down and just pound his face in

Pretty close on the poll so far!

I can't see Silva dealing with GSPs ground game and wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

guess I'll be the first to go with Silva, although 2 class fighters I think Silva would win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

hav to go with anderson due to his size. with most of the opponents gsp faces he outmuscles and outwrestles them. this would be a lot harder against a guy who can easily fight at 205 nevermind 185. pound-for-pound there isnt much in it and i would even say gsp is the better p4p fighter, but in an actual fight i go for anderson silva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Silva is a smart cookie he would expect GSP to look for a take down and instead get there 1st I think.

Great idea for a thread OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I think if this fight went down the GSP bandwagon would be a few passengers lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

While GSP is an amazing fighter he beats a lot of guys at welter due to his size. Silva would stop GSP late or win a convincing decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Cant really decide on this one. Im leaning towards Anderson though, via pure size and punching power. Another deciding factor could be andersons improvement on his sprawl, which looked awesome against theiles leites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If they actually fought, I'd favour Anderson. There's a reason for weight classes

But I think that GSP's the better fighter

GSP ahead so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I cant believe that so many people are going for GSP! Don't get me wrong he's a great fighter & is always evolving BUT he wouldn't get near the likes of Anderson Silva or Lyoto Machida TBH.He wouldn't be able to overwhelm them size wise like he has in most of his fights,I couldn't see him coping with the way they move & the fact he's being Ko'd by Matt Serra of all people Silva would be much more likely to catch him on the button!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Tough one to call, GSP is probably a more well rounded fighter but if Anderson is in top form (Vicious, accurate, varied, relentless striking) I can't see GSP troubling him that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Tough one to call, GSP is probably a more well rounded fighter but if Anderson is in top form (Vicious, accurate, varied, relentless striking) I can't see GSP troubling him that much.

what you gonna do when u become a 4th dan huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Jason Mc wrote: »
    what you gonna do when u become a 4th dan huh?

I'll allow people to believe that I'm still a lowly 3rd dan ;)

If only "THECHAZ" had been available first day I could have avoided all these problems. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

The amount of people not fully reading the OP is just plain annoying, he clearly says and i quote...
    (ps, the match should be thought of at a P4P rate, imagine both men were the same natural weight)

On topic, i'd go with Silva, GSP has proven before he can take a knock but then again like someone else pointed out we all remember Serra demolishing him, i think it'd be a good fight but I think Silva's stand up would be too much for GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Im going with Anderson by KO. GSP tends to technically overpower most of his opponents...even Hughes looks like a midget compared to him. I think Andersons size and movement would cause him a lot of problems. I'd say their ground games would cancel each other out as well, GSP's mainly a top postition ground fighter but I think Andersons strength is from bottom-he's great at neutralizing fighters with his guard, I think he'd control GSP and limit his options.

So on styles, I'd say Anderson got the striking and ground game covered off, wrestling GSP's probably better, but thats not going to win the fight on its own...takedown attempts would provide Anderson with the openings for KOs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

n1ck wrote: »
    The amount of people not fully reading the OP is just plain annoying, he clearly says and i quote...

That was edited in after my post. I'd change it to GSP if I could

n1ck wrote: »

I dont see the point in this case. Say if it were a discussion where you had Fedor fighting BJ Penn than the P4P\same size arguement would make sense, as its a fight thats never gonna happen unless Fedor goes bulemic or BJ goes nuts on pies and McDonalds.

GSP and Ando can clearly both fight at middleweight or at a catchweight, so its foolish to discard size in a fight analysis. Sure its a P4P fight, but theres a very good chance that

(a) Its going to happen
    (b) Size is going to be a deciding factor, as it plays a huge part of each fighters game already

The whole P4P thing between similar weight classes kinda bugs me anyway...I think the top 3 fighers in each weight class would still be considered a force (if not contenders) to be reckoned with in the weight class above, so true P4P arguements only come into play when theres a big gap between the classes, for instance comparing HWs vs LWs etc.

• Advertisement

roo1981 wrote: »
    I dont see the point in this case. Say if it were a discussion where you had Fedor fighting BJ Penn than the P4P\same size arguement would make sense, as its a fight thats never gonna happen unless Fedor goes bulemic or BJ goes nuts on pies and McDonalds.

GSP and Ando can clearly both fight at middleweight or at a catchweight, so its foolish to discard size in a fight analysis. Sure its a P4P fight, but theres a very good chance that

(a) Its going to happen
    (b) Size is going to be a deciding factor, as it plays a huge part of each fighters game already

The whole P4P thing between similar weight classes kinda bugs me anyway...I think the top 3 fighers in each weight class would still be considered a force (if not contenders) to be reckoned with in the weight class above, so true P4P arguements only come into play when theres a big gap between the classes, for instance comparing HWs vs LWs etc.

Wow, way to take it over serious! The thread is called "Fatasy Match Up", we're here to imagine what it would be like.

BTW, why couldn't Fedor fight BJ Penn??

Fedor fought LW Shinya Aoki this year, and BJ once fought Machida at HW.

JimmyFloyd wrote: »
    Wow, way to take it over serious! The thread is called "Fatasy Match Up", we're here to imagine what it would be like.

Fedor fought LW Shinya Aoki this year, and BJ once fought Machida at HW.

Lol sorry, didnt mean to come off that serious, cant help myself...next time I'll be sure to include some smileys to brighten up your night :D

The Aoki matchu was a friendly spirted grappling exhibition from what I remember...realistically Fedor vs BJ in a real MMA fight? You have watched Penn vs GSP 2 yea? Here have some smiley faces, good effort...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

roo1981 wrote: »
    Lol sorry, didnt mean to come off that serious, cant help myself...next time I'll be sure to include some smileys to brighten up your night :D

The Aoki matchu was a friendly spirted grappling exhibition from what I remember...realistically Fedor vs BJ in a real MMA fight? You have watched Penn vs GSP 2 yea? Here have some smiley faces, good effort...

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

It's ridiculous to think you can't speculate on a "Fantasy" fight just because it's unlikely to happen

"Fantasy Defined: imagination unrestricted by reality"

Don't you get it?

It's ridiculous to think you can't speculate on a "Fantasy" fight just because it's unlikely to happen

For sure, I'd agree, but

I just didnt see the word 'fantasy' so assumed the worst :D

Advertisement