Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Black Stone of the Kaaba

• 30-06-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

So is this really a special stone, sent from god, originally white but now turned black by sin?

Or is it a meteorite?

What do Muslims believe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Umar ibn al-Khattab (580-644), the second Caliph, came to kiss the Stone, he said in front of all assembled: "No doubt, I know that you are a stone and can neither harm anyone nor benefit anyone. Had I not seen Allah's Messenger [Muhammad] kissing you, I would not have kissed you."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajarul_Aswad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Please don't link me to wikipedia or anything, I'd like your views on it.

So nobody here believes in the holy stones powers? Are there any muslims here at all?

Hmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Overblood wrote: »
    So nobody here believes in the holy stones powers? Are there any muslims here at all?

I'm not a Muslim in the religious sense, though by definition I've had experience of a higher power and have had little choice in the matter but to submit to that power. My college in the collective believes some stones, and objects in general, can have attributes of what is generally associate with healing attributed to them, through people's intent, and tradition.

Personally, i think there is a force to the Qaaba, if only that over 1 billion people believe there is. I've yet to connect with it on any meaningful level though.......................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Interesting that it has a pre-Islamic past. But as that conflicts with the Koran's version you'd be heading unknown territory with that line of inquiry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Overblood wrote: »
    So is this really a special stone
    its special the same way the blarney stone is special
    originally white but now turned black by sin

yes its a form of gaining atonement.
    What do Muslims believe?

exactly that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

its special the same way the blarney stone is special
    Ok, so the Irish have a stone placed that once kissed gives them the gift of the "gab" and the Muslims travel in their millions to circle (and try to kiss) the Black Stone and you compare them both?

yes its a form of gaining atonement.
    Guess what? It's ignorance, such as perpetuated by your statement I have quoted, that give trolls a bad name.

exactly that.
    Lol tbh.

Hobart wrote: »
    Ok, so the Irish have a stone placed that once kissed gives them the gift of the "gab" and the Muslims travel in their millions to circle (and try to kiss) the Black Stone and you compare them both?
    Guess what? It's ignorance, such as perpetuated by your statement I have quoted, that give trolls a bad name.
    Lol tbh.

i wasnt really trolling, and this post looked like a troll, he could have looked up wikipedia or google but well i guessed he was looking for a short answer, and that was a pretty short answer

if your looking for a longer answer here it goes.

No one knows for sure the background to the Black Stone (Hajr-al-Aswad), except for the fact that it was already there when Prophet Ibrahim and Ismael (peace be on them) rebuilt the Ka'bah under the direction of God. As the Ka'bah was a centre of worship centuries before the advent of Prophet Ibrahim (as), it is believed that the Black Stone was part of the original structure. And as the structure fell to ruin over the centuries, traces of the foundation with the Black Stone remained. God directed Prophet Ibrahim (as) to the site of the remaining traces of the foundation and directed him to rebuild the Ka'bah for the purpose of worship.

Though it had obviously been revered and respected by the previous generations, it should be borne in mind that the Black Stone itself does not hold any spiritual significance at all. The pilgrim may touch or if he can approach near enough, kiss the Black Stone, which is an emotional gesture calling to mind the Prophet (sa) kissed it when he performed circuit. The Holy Prophet Muhammad (sa) did this, not because of any sanctity attached to the stone, but as an expression of his emotion at the Ka'bah, originally constructed by Prophet Ibrahim and his son, Prophet Ismael (peace be on them), having been finally restored to the worship of the One True God, and would henceforth remain dedicated to that worship. Fearing that the Prophet's kissing the Black Stone might be interpreted as ascribing some special virtue to the stone, Hadhrat Umar, the 2nd Khalifa (peace be on him), when performing the circuit, observed: I know this is only a stone no different from other similar stones, and were it not the memory that the Prophet expressed his gratitude to God for His favours and bounties by kissing it, I would pay no attention to it.

if your looking for an even more detailed answer, i suggest wikipedia.

somehow i managed to double post, sorry delete this one.

• Advertisement

Muslims travel in their millions to perform the Hajj.
    Kissing the black stone is not part of the hajj.
    It's sunnah, but not fard, or even recommended.
    There is nothing magiacl about the Stone.
    It's just a link, muslims believe, a surviving artifact that links the here and now back to Abraham, Hagar and the foundation of monotheism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Muslims travel in their millions to perform the Hajj.
    Kissing the black stone is not part of the hajj.
    It's sunnah, but not fard, or even recommended.
    There is nothing magiacl about the Stone.
    It's just a link, muslims believe, a surviving artifact that links the here and now back to Abraham, Hagar and the foundation of monotheism.
    Thanks for the clarification. Do Muslims not believe that the stone fell from Heaven, and that Adam and Eve used it as some sort of sign as to where an altar should be built? Is this not something special? Also, if it is believed that the stone was once white and is now black due to the absorbing of so many sins, does this not also attribute some magical powers to it?

Thanks for the clarification. Do Muslims not believe that the stone fell from Heaven, and that Adam and Eve used it as some sort of sign as to where an altar should be built? Is this not something special? Also, if it is believed that the stone was once white and is now black due to the absorbing of so many sins, does this not also attribute some magical powers to it?

magic is the work of satan, so no it doesnt have magical powers, and heavan in this case is probably "space" because in the quran it says heavan and earth (the universe) were the same thing, and Allah, separated the earth from the rest of the galaxies when they were formed (exactly like the bigbang), and as far as sins are concerned, all of your sins are forgiven if you perform hajj or umrah (pilgramages), or repent with an honest heart, you dont need to kiss the stone as there is no such thing as "atonement" in islam

Mu understanding is that the Black in the stone = Sins is more of a falk tale.
    Akin to the Roin Redbreast being present at the time of jesus' execution and thusly getting it's red colour.
    Or St. Patrick getting rid Of Irish snakes.
    It's a falk tale, and not generally believed.

Advertisement