Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gifts for Gamer - What would you want?

• 30-06-2009 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I have I was getting a 19th birthday present for my boyfriend soon, I figure xbox/pc games are WAY to obvious, he has all the accessories, plenty of Xbox live subscription left. I was thinking or storage for all his games cos he just leaves the disks in a pile and spends ages looking for the right one when we're playing.

Anywho. what any of you ask for? feel free to go nuts listing things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

Hey there!

Any game in particular he loves?

If you're close to Dublin you could call into Forbidden Planet where you'll find loads of statuettes and models of characters from games, not to mention posters, t-shirts, key rings etc.

If there's no Forbidden Planet around you could always call into Game who sometimes do little models and statuettes of characters too.

Failing all that, if you can wait a few days and have a credit card or paypal, you could always order him a humours gaming t shirt for him online, like the following one http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/gaming/a282/

Best of luck! :3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If he's into driving games then a good steering wheel might be a good idea. Otherwise one of those seats with speakers built in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

*Warning obvious stereotype warning* Get him a girlfriend

Attempt to be helpful answer, if he has an Xbox, does he need another controller? Spare batteries are always useful, I got the external charging pack and it has been a godsend. There's no point in getting a tidy for the games, that's just a personal thing, he's just not into being tidy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Do you know what size the hard drive in his 360 is? If it's the 20 gig one he might appreciate the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Get him guitar hero !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

She IS his girlfriend :p

And would you really like spare batteries for your xbox as a birthday pressie? Or controller?

I think the only thing I'd like in that way would be a custimized Xbox cover like this one http://www.dabbledoo.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/soulcalibur4_xbox360_covers.jpg

Though a spare headset is definately handy I will admit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Get him guitar hero !

Rock band 2 for the win, 2 of you could have heaps of fun with that , much better game than guitar hero but i prefer the guitar hero guitars :confused:

Bit pricey if budget is an issue. I liked the idea above by Yunalesca , id definitely love some game / comic related figures to spruce my place up :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Yunalesca wrote: »
    She IS his girlfriend :p

And would you really like spare batteries for your xbox as a birthday pressie? Or controller?

I think the only thing I'd like in that way would be a custimized Xbox cover like this one http://www.dabbledoo.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/soulcalibur4_xbox360_covers.jpg

Though a spare headset is definately handy I will admit.

d'oh, that'll teach me for not reading the post fully doesn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

1. Don't get him a steering wheel. If he doesn't have the space for it or a desk to secure it on then they're a pain.

2. What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

being perfectly honest I'd ask him what he wants, cause chances are you'llend up getting him something he has or had already or something he has no interest in.
    My wife learned that lesson years ago. Its a nice thought to get him a suprise but you know yourself , even if you end up getting him something crap he'll pretend to be happy but deep down he'll be plotting you're demise.Its tricky enough being a gamer getting the right game, just today the wife rented Terminator who though that cause I like shoot em ups that I'd like it , I knew it was going to be crap and had it completed in 4 hours, now I'm stuck with the piece of **** for a week.Only plus side was got her doing co op so she suffered too and at last got her playing gears in a sneaky attempt to show her how much better it was than terminator, finaly got the friends with benifits achievement lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

give us your budget as mentioned before and you might get better help. It can be a tricky one to call as there are some awful rubbish accessories out there for consoles and picking games for someone can be a minefield. The HDD upgrade might be a good one if he is indeed stuck with the 20gb. Combine that with a DOA costum.. ok now I'm just picking a gift for me :o
    (hope the other half is reading this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Thanks a billion for all the suggestions so far,
    unfortunately he has a ton of that stuff.
    He has the Elite Xbox 360, enough controllers, all the guitar hero games.
    Some of his favourite games at the moment are Prototype, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, Halo wars, Guitar Hero's, Left 4 dead....
    lets say my budgets 30 -70 ish?
    I have asked him of couse, but he just says something like "I'd be happy with anything you get me"

I dunno, we're both starting college in September,he's studying multimedia, maybe i'll get him something to help his organise his games when he moves...

Feel free to give more suggestions people!
    I just want to hear you list any gaming /nerdy stuff you'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Double posted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Try Smyths, they are doing the whole rock band kit for 75 (I think), game, drums, mic and guitar.

Heres a storage thing in argos
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5666951/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C12161424/c_2/2%7Ccat_12161424%7CXbox+360%7C12161574/c_3/3%7Ccat_12161574%7CXbox+360+accessories%7C12161579.htm

You could also try getting him an Xbox Live subscription for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well having moved to and from college a lot, hauling a ton of game cases around can be annoying at the best of times so try something like this (and there are cheaper ones available too) for carrying his game discs around either in the move or to a friends house.

Plus they will be in one place and possibly alphabetized (if so, its your DUTY to mix them up to screw with his head :D ) Though thats probably just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

How about some Microsoft points? You can never have enough of them and he can do whatever he wants with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

big +1 for the points,like a voucher but far betterif he plays online a bit.

Advertisement