Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine change

• 30-06-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Is it possible to swap out a Focus 1.4i engine with a 1.8 TDCi or is the chassis a different size?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I'm sure it is but you have a hell of a lot more parts to swap along with the engine.

Think, loom, engine management, suspension, fuel tank, instrument cluster etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kleftangel

I'd be willing to replace all these parts and do the labour myself. I have a mate who is a mechanic and he's going to help me. It would hopefully be a lot cheaper than buying a new car

You getting the donor car for nothing?

Surely a 1.4 lump is not that dear

No i'd be looking to buy just the engine. It doesn't have to be TDCi because I probably won't get one second hand, but I would like a bigger engine. It's a very slow car.

Well that isnt going to work. You would need the engine management systems at the very least if upgrading the petrol engine and for the diesel you will need at least everything I mentioned in my first post.

If you need more power, replace the 1.4 and sell the car, then buy something with more grunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whats the story with changing engines and the tax book. Do you just declare it in a similar way to changing the colous with a full respray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Need to use diesel gear box as well if not the whole drive train (halfshafts etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's a ridiculously long-winded and expensive way of getting a couple more horsepower. Sell it and buy something that you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

kleftangel wrote: »
    Is it possible to swap out a Focus 1.4i engine with a 1.8 TDCi or is the chassis a different size?

The chassis is probably one of the few things the same (engine mounts could be different). As others have said, so many other major parts would need to be changed that it's not worth it!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

The days of changing Diesel engines for Petrol are gone for this to work you will have to change engine,gearbox,driveshafts,stub axles,e.c.u,wiring loom,fuel lines,fuel tank.

Probably missed a few things in there but you get my drift by the time you go and buy all that and fit it and sort out all the problems that you would have you could go out and buy a nice car and still have your 1.4 focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Why not swap for the 1.6 petrol. All you need extra is an ecu, lexhuast and inlet manifold.

I entirely forgot my car was petrol cause I'm so used to driving my van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

sell what you got and buy what you want.

doing that engine upgrade is pure lunacy, some people...

Advertisement