Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming Lessons

Options
  • 30-06-2009 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi does anyone know where I can get any swimming lessons for an adult in Kilkenny. Im not a member of any gym. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Have you tried contacting the Watershed? As far as I know, you don't have to be a member to use the pool. Not so sure about the lessons bit though they do do lessons there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Check out the Ormonde too. As far as I know you don't need to be a member to take up the adult swimming lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I`m facing the same problem as op. I`ve just ask the Watershed but no lessons til` January. Any idea where to go then? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sliderman

padyjoe wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I`m facing the same problem as op. I`ve just ask the Watershed but no lessons til` January. Any idea where to go then? Thanks!

If your a DIY kind of person you could buy a book e.g Learn to swim in a weekend and go into a pool and practise what you've read however make sure you stay in the Shallow End for awhile.

Easy peasy

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

That is quite possibly one of the stupidest things I have read this week.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I'd be inclined to agree and tbh it's not an easy title to achieve...

Regarding lessons, contact any or all of the private pools and I'd be pretty sure that you could pay for a course of lessons even if not a member.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    That is quite possibly one of the stupidest things I have read this week.

Whats stupid about buying a book and applying whats in it ? :eek:

Fabby can you swim? if yes cool..... if no get some knowledge from the book LEARN TO SWIM IN A WEEKEND - author Sharon Davis and lose some of the FAB ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Sliderman wrote: »
    Whats stupid about buying a book and applying whats in it ? :eek:

It's a little stupid when it's something dangerous. I could teach myself to fly a plane with a book doesn't mean I should be let up on my own from the word go now does it? The lifeguards in the pools around town aren't fantastic by an means and have the whole pool to watch so don't go relying on them to save you while your trying to apply something from a book that you can't bring into the water with you. While I full endorse people gaining knowledge through books there are some things you just need to be taught hands on.

Yes I can swim. Luckily for me I was sent for lessons when I was a kid, so I don't really remember learning that much.

I strongly suggest anyone considering learning (and it is VERY worthwhile, believe me) does so by getting tuition in a practical lesson enviornment from someone who knows what they are doing.

I have friends who learnt as adults and it's no problem, anyone could do it.

Sliderman have you read Learn to Skydive in one easy lesson (or Die Trying). It's a remarkable read.

Shallow pool first - apply knowledge learnt - if it doesnt work so be it............:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Shallow pool first - apply knowledge learnt - if it doesnt work so be it............:p

you only need an inch of water to drown yourself.

And I suggest you go and find one.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    And I suggest you go and find one.

I suggest you dive into in ya fab f_____:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mamags

I suggest you dive into in ya fab f_____:D

CHILDREN.......CHILDREN, BEHAVE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

padyjoe wrote: »

Lessons just started a couple of weeks ago. I am taking the Friday evening Beg classes at the Watershed. Its ten lessons in total for 80 euros. It will run to mid-Nov so next group starting in Jan sounds about right.

Advertisement