Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Netopia Router.....

Options
  • 30-06-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

Spent nearly two hours on the phone today to Eircom about moving my router. It is currently located at the end of one side of my house, and as walls in house are quite thick the greater the distance from the router the range is quite poor(only one bar on my laptop). Their is a split line where the router is currently located as I have phonewatch also.So I have several active phone sockets throughout the house and was initially advised by Eircom just to plug the router into one of these sockets but this did not work, I then spent neary two hours on the phone being bounced from dept to dept :mad: finally at 17:45 I was given a number to call in the morning and told to ask for my main phone line to be moved. Anyone had any similar experiences? Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Spent nearly two hours on the phone today to Eircom about moving my router. It is currently located at the end of one side of my house, and as walls in house are quite thick the greater the distance from the router the range is quite poor(only one bar on my laptop). Their is a split line where the router is currently located as I have phonewatch also.So I have several active phone sockets throughout the house and was initially advised by Eircom just to plug the router into one of these sockets but this did not work, I then spent neary two hours on the phone being bounced from dept to dept :mad: finally at 17:45 I was given a number to call in the morning and told to ask for my main phone line to be moved. Anyone had any similar experiences? Tks
    The router should always be on the main telephone point in your house. Have more that 4 devices connected at once when using Broadband can cause problems because of REN values. Every device in the house including all the phones, Sky, phonewatch and faxes need to be filtered along side or after the Broadband - never before because the DSL signal will not be strong enough. I posted images of this recently to another member.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60917429&postcount=58

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

cpu-dude wrote: »
    The router should always be on the main telephone point in your house. Have more that 4 devices connected at once when using Broadband can cause problems because of REN values. Every device in the house including all the phones, Sky, phonewatch and faxes need to be filtered along side or after the Broadband - never before because the DSL signal will not be strong enough. I posted images of this recently to another member.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60917429&postcount=58

Tks, assume it is possible to move the main telephone point to a new location and Eircom would do this for me for a charge obviously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Tks, assume it is possible to move the main telephone point to a new location and Eircom would do this for me for a charge obviously?
    Yes, the main NTU is Eircoms responsibilty so since it's not faulty, they will most likely charge you but it can be moved if requested. All other points in the house are your own property so if they ever have issues, Eircom won't even talk to you - aren't they great :rolleyes:

Advertisement