Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Wide Are My Wheels?

• 30-06-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking online for a price for rims for my car but am not too sure of the current wheel width (car is in storage and I can't go check right now). I want the same size wheels, just a different style. I'm currently running 225 60 R15 on the front and 275 60 R15 on the rear. Therefore, by my logic, the front tyres are 8.9" wide and the rear are 10.8" wise. Presuming all wheel sizes are rounded off to 0.5" I am reckoning my current rims are 9" and 11" wide respectively. Am I way off here?

Also, I will be looking for BBS E26 Replicas in the above size so if anyone has any information on where best to look for same I would appreciate it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

The 225 could be on 7,8 or 9'' wide rims. Actually fit best on 8''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The 225 could be on 7,8 or 9'' wide rims. Actually fit best on 8''.

Was thinking to myself just there that if the tyres are 9"/11" wide the rims are more likely to be 8.5" and 10.5" respectively. I don't understand how a 225 tyre can sit comfortably on anything from 7" - 9" though? Any car I ever bought I always waited for the one to come along with the rims I wanted on it so only ever had to buy the tires. I'm lost where all this comes along, never mind offset and all that jazz! I mean how do you work out if a particular wheel will fit your car or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I mean how do you work out if a particular wheel will fit your car or not?

www.alloywheels.com

Type you car in the (top left) and it gives you a range of alloys available fo your car. It also give you valuable information, about offset, tyre size etc depending on what size you want.

Quazzie wrote: »
    www.alloywheels.com

Type you car in the (top left) and it gives you a range of alloys available fo your car. It also give you valuable information, about offset, tyre size etc depending on what size you want.

Thanks Quazzie!

No listing for Pontiac unfortunately! :(

pontiac :eek:

What kind?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Just to clarify. On one of my particular cars the original alloys are 8x16 and standard tyres are 225/45/16 as per car manufactures specifications.

Just to clarify. On one of my particular cars the original alloys are 8x16 and standard tyres are 225/45/16 as per car manufactures specifications.

Clarify what Johnny? :confused:

pontiac :eek:

What kind?

Trans Am!

Currently has steel 'slot wheels' and I want to change to the BBS E26 if possible. Sounds awful bad putting modern rims on a car like this but they will suit it really well! ;)

Tires and Wheels NOT FOR FIREBIRDS

Tire size================= P225/70R15 for Formula and Trans Am and Special performance
    Front psi================= 30
    Rear psi================== 30
    Wheel type================ steel (cast aluminum for Special performance)
    Rim size================== 15x7JJ- (15x8JJ for Special Perf.
    Wheel offset============== .34 (Zero for special perf.)
    Attachment type=========== stud
    Cicle diameter= 4.75
    Number and size 5-7/16-20
    Spare wheel=============== 14x6 stowaway spare standard

Found this here

Cheers Quazzie - that stuff just boggles me I'll have to admit!

Also found this which tells me that the OEM were 15 X 6 but there's way bigger rims on it now!
    http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Pontiac___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

• Advertisement

Cheers Quazzie - that stuff just boggles me I'll have to admit!

Also found this which tells me that the OEM were 15 X 6 but there's way bigger rims on it now!
    http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Pontiac___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm
    http://www.needforspeed.co.uk/htmlpages/TechWheels.htm

That might help explain the basics and help you read the above information better.

I'd say yours are 15x8(front) 15x9.5(rear)

Nice one Quazzie!

Now, the OE wheels were 15 X 6 (with a low or 0 offset)

The current wheels are approx 15 X 8 and 15 X 9.5 - so presumably the adequate 'spacer' has been used!?!

Either way if my car is currently running the above size wheels and I get a different style wheel, albeit the same size they should fit fine and dandy?

Somehow I know it's not going to be as simple as that!

There might be no spacer. It just could be an alloy with an appropriate offset. If you buy BBS E26 you might need to get deep dish for the rear (which actually looks decent on the right cars) and just get 15x7.5 for the front with the right offset.

When you are buying the alloys (presumably new) the dealer should be able to tell you comprehenively what size wheel, and offsets will be appropriate.

I can't confidently give you the eexact sizs you need. I've been out of the trade too long to remember how to figure it out :D

Quazzie, thanks for taking the time out on this dude!

By the way, here are the present slots (sorry, not a great pic):
    3as099-1.jpg
    This is the original T/A 'Snowflake' Design:
    shade5-07-custom-2.jpg
    This is what the BBS will look like:
    04-1.jpg
    The above wheels are 18's however I don't want the low profile look hence the 15's with nice big beefy BF Goodrich Raised White Wall Tyres!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Those BBS will look unreal, here's demanding pictures when they're on!:D

Some sound info there Quazzie, fair play.

Those BBS will look unreal, here's demanding pictures when they're on!:D

Some sound info there Quazzie, fair play.

Cheers Limerick Man and cheers again Quazzie for all the advice. I'm much better informed now! ;) However, I'm still kinda in the same boat, I will still have to talk to the supplier in relation to compatibility / spacer / offset.

Plus I still have to source the feckers at a reasonable price! Any information on same would be greatly appreciated lads! ;)

Plus I still have to source the feckers at a reasonable price!

What do you consider a reasonable price?

Keep in mind cheap/replica alloys might not act as consistently or wear as well as the original alloys.

What do you consider a reasonable price?

Keep in mind cheap/replica alloys might not act as consistently or wear as well as the original alloys.

Found a very similar set (BBS RS-GT Replicas) on ebay for £575 but they were 18's. I'm no way getting original BBS, they're about €3k!!!

Well the plot thickens, emailed about twenty alloy dealers here and in UK enquiring about BBS E26 Replicas, also emailed BBS themselves to see what sort of quote they would give me. Got two responses - one from BBS themselves and one from a dealer that supplies original BBS to order. Response from both was much the same:
    Hello Mr. XXX,
    thanks for your mail and interest in BBS Racing Wheels.

BBS Racing wheels allways are single produced to customers order. So we need further informations about the wheel dimensions you need (offsets, caliper space).
    As almost every race car is different in brakes, suspension, fender widening etc., we do not list measurements, because we could't use them anyway.
    To give you an idea about the price: 1 set of E26-15" is ca. 2600 EUR.
    (E26-15" wheels are flatbase wheels (have to be disassembled to mount the tyres).

Regards
    Klaus Morhammer
    Hottinger&Morhammer GbR
    BBS RACING WHEELS

All fine and well, I can measure the caliper space but I still don't know what to say about the offset!!!! :mad:

Advertisement