Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Payment Protection

Options
  • 30-06-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I need some advise in relation to this product. Myself and my partner currently do not have it. We have been told that he's going to be laid off next year. I want to look into covering my portion of the mortgage as if anything happens my job and both of us end up out of work we will be in trouble.

Can someone offer advice on the best places to get the cover? Say our mortgage is 900 euro a month. Is there any problem with me getting mortgage payment protection on my half? I know his portion of it won't be covered as we're already aware that he's going to get laid off but I presume my portion should be ok to cover?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Your mortgage provider will probably be able to organise this cover for you. Once you're not aware of any pending redundancy for yourself, then there shouldn't be a problem taking out the cover for your half of the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I wouldn't be a great fan of the product. There are about 4 products on the market, most with recent price increases. If there is any hint of impending job loss, payout will be difficult. Some useful info here:
    http://www.mortgagepaymentprotection.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

aren't there waiting periods on these policies, i.e. you can't claim until X months into the policy

Payment protection can be a very useful product if it becomes needed, however be warned that most that are sold through intermediaries have huge commission levels (I have seen levels as high as 70% in Ireland and 80% in the UK) which the customer pays for

The risk premium element (the part of the premium that is used to pay claims rather than commission, expenses etc) of the premium paid can be very low in comparison to other policies (household, motor etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

aren't there waiting periods on these policies, i.e. you can't claim until X months into the policy

yep

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK, it's usually around 90 days, but varies from policy to policy. We got free mortgage payment protection for a year when we first took out our mortgage, and it was 90 days if the claim was for redundancy due to being let go, but if you were unable to work due to illness or injury, the policy had to be in force for 120 days before the illness/injury, so it would seem that some of them also vary on the reason you're out of work too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement