Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cavity Wall Insulation - Quick Question

• 30-06-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

We have bought a 9 year old house with yellow fibre glass insulation in the wall cavities. I spoke to a local insulation company about blown bead insulation being put in but they just said it cant be done as the fibre glass would stop the cavity filling with the polystyrine beads.

Anybody know of any way to enhance the insulation in the walls under the circumstances.

Simon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im afraid you're stuck as far as the cavity is concerned. have you considered insulating internally or externally?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 s2sap

Have insulated loft to max. What do you mean internally / externally. Do you mean the walls ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

yes you can insulate the inner leaf of the walls or insulate them externally. There are also grants available for this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

I was in a similar situation and got foam injected into the cavity. The rep told me that the foam is under such pressure that it will push back the fibreglass and fill the cavity, I was a bit sceptical but thought something is better than nothing. Later, I had a new window put in and noticed that the foam had indeed filled the cavity. The stuff does however have the density of candy gloss, so it's lifespan is anybody's guess. The other thing was that it was damp, but that could have being because the house was unoccupied for a few months before the ope was formed.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

d2ww wrote: »
    I was in a similar situation and got foam injected into the cavity. The rep told me that the foam is under such pressure that it will push back the fibreglass and fill the cavity, I was a bit sceptical but thought something is better than nothing. Later, I had a new window put in and noticed that the foam had indeed filled the cavity. The stuff does however have the density of candy gloss, so it's lifespan is anybody's guess. The other thing was that it was damp, but that could have being because the house was unoccupied for a few months before the ope was formed.

that foam is NOT designed for pumping into a cavity..... you have been badly advised....

to teh op... if there is already fibreglass in the cavity.. is there room to pump another material in there.... if so, consider pumping in more quilted material such as rockwool energysaver...

• Advertisement
Advertisement