Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Differance between a Insurance Quote now that im unemployed is Crazy.

• 30-06-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi All,

Any advise here i want to get my 09 1.4 car insured. Under employment if i put in my old job as a accountant my Quote was 1450 euro but now that i have no job my quote is over 3000euro. I need to get my Car insured now i have just got my learner permit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Look around with different insurance companys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ham Sandwich

Do they ever check out things like that?! Only thing though is if you do put in your old job and you have an accident, they may make a potential claim void if they check it out then and find out! Decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭GAMAN

I have checked over 20 insurance companys . I was thinking about putting down as i have a job but as you said if i have a claim id be fecked. What a pain in the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't give details you know to be incorrect to your insurance company. Down the line if they find out they may try to recovery any moneys paid out from you.

It may also effect your future chances of getting insurance with other companys if they cancel your policy - you'll notice every company asks "have you ever been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled?" or something similiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Would they ever find out about your occupation in the event of a claim:confused: I doubt it tbh but it's up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from Learning to Drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Would they ever find out about your occupation in the event of a claim:confused: I doubt it tbh but it's up to you.
    In the event of a claim, insurers will ask you to complete a claim form which will contain a lot of questions that are a mirror of your proposal form. If their is any deviation in the answers, the claim will be flagged for further investigation. As they say in the trade 'a good liar needs a good memory'. For small claims with nothing out of the ordinary they probably wouldn't check your occupation. For a serious claim, they will check EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would imagine that the premium goes up because you have more chance in being in the car if you are not at work. thus more chance of being in an accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Martron wrote: »
    i would imagine that the premium goes up because you have more chance in being in the car if you are not at work. thus more chance of being in an accident
    As well as that, people in "high-risk" groups also tend to be unemployed - alcoholics, drug abusers, those with depression or psychiatric disorders. Being lumped in with these people will increase your premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Martron wrote: »

Of course it could also be argued that as an unemployed person, you would have less disposabale income for things like petrol and so would spend less time driving and generally cruising about. But then we are talking about insurance companies here, so.....................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

can you not say self employed... I'm sure you could do a few nixers here and there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

Phone them, tell them this, speak to them nicely and get the lower quote, sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you have a professional qualification, put that down. they really couldnt have a problem with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Thats awful-try the insurance ombudsman with a friendly complaint they are VERY helpful!
    Me- i'd just lie and REMEMBER i'd lied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

This is the kind of insane business logic that has us heading for 500K people in the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

oldyouth wrote: »
    In the event of a claim, insurers will ask you to complete a claim form which will contain a lot of questions that are a mirror of your proposal form. If their is any deviation in the answers, the claim will be flagged for further investigation. As they say in the trade 'a good liar needs a good memory'. For small claims with nothing out of the ordinary they probably wouldn't check your occupation. For a serious claim, they will check EVERYTHING.

So if you lose your job/get a different job do you have to ring your company and let them know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

You have to tell them of any changes including employment changes especially, I paid my insurance in january this year ,it was 392 euro, when i got my documents i realised that i was still insured as an employed person, i rang them up (Allianz) and told them that i am unemployed now. A few days later I got a new renewal notice for 412 euro, an increase of 20 euro, I rang them again and asked if they wanted me to pay them another 20 euro but they cancelled the charge as i had just paid the original amount a few days previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

the quote could be higher because you're un-employed

perhaps the insurance company feels you are more likely to deliberately write off the car in order to get the cash seeing as you now are out of work?

Opinions on this?

I could be wrong?
    I don't know, much about insurance except that it is quite expensive! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Is insurance for the self employed more expensive generally? I've been recently made unemployed but starting my own business so will have to change my status.

faigs wrote: »
    Is insurance for the self employed more expensive generally? I've been recently made unemployed but starting my own business so will have to change my status.
    Assuming that you use the same vehicle for private and business use, then yes it will be a good deal higher because you're required to insure it for business use. The upside is that your motor tax is in the region of €50/year.

However if you use one vehicle for business (e.g. a van) and you'll have another for private use, then it may be a little higher, but not by much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Cionád wrote: »
    So if you lose your job/get a different job do you have to ring your company and let them know?
    At renewal date, yes. You are obliged to declare any alteration in the facts that you disclosed to them at the previous renewal date. If the use of the car changes mid year (such as you now use it as a sales rep), you have to advise insurers there and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

seamus wrote: »
    Assuming that you use the same vehicle for private and business use, then yes it will be a good deal higher because you're required to insure it for business use. The upside is that your motor tax is in the region of €50/year.

He can also claim back tax on petrol/diesel too can't he? That should also negate the jump in insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

My insurance is still low.
    I know I am in the "Older" category now but..

€302 full comp on a 08 1.4TDi

Why not tell them you are Retired instead of unemployed.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

So what if you have 2 jobs?

It should be twice as low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Heroditas wrote: »
    He can also claim back tax on petrol/diesel too can't he? That should also negate the jump in insurance

Surely you have to be paying tax to claim back tax. :(

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yes and no. Depends on what he's doing and how he's doing it.

However, he can claim his petrol as expenses though, which means that he doesn't pay income tax on the cash he uses to buy that petrol, meaning that every €100 of petrol only costs him around €55 in real terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

seamus wrote: »
    As well as that, people in "high-risk" groups also tend to be unemployed - alcoholics, drug abusers, those with depression or psychiatric disorders. Being lumped in with these people will increase your premium.

Maybe 2 years ago.

Now I think the group is largely Civil Engineers, Accountants, Solicitors, Tradesmen, and pretty much everyone else who isn't paid by the state.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

maidhc wrote: »
    Maybe 2 years ago.

Now I think the group is largely Civil Engineers, Accountants, Solicitors, Tradesmen, and pretty much everyone else who isn't paid by the state.

Civil servants get a weighting with most companies now- in the past they were the lowest of any of the categories.

In brief- any office based job is usually less than any other job.

Advertisement