Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 cats together??

Options
  • 30-06-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hiya,

I have a nearly 12 weeks old cat.
    I got another one today and he is 8 weeks at the end of this week. Both are male.
    Its obvious they dont like eachother on the first day but like Teddy(the young guy) is hitting Tiger(the older one) and is fighting. Tiger is not doing anything at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Are you looking for advice on how best to get them to get along?
    Firstly it's only been a day. I got a pup and my dog didn't take to her for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

You found the one you wanted then? Congrats Janine!:)
    Don't worry about Teddy's behaviour....he's a kitten and kittens are naturally cheeky and inquisitive and will test their boundaries and limits all the time! He's 'exploring' your other cat....checking out Tiger's reactions. It's only been a day, give it a couple of weeks before worrying that they might not get along. Tiger will probably let Teddy know when he's had enough by swiftly slapping him- and Teddy will need that discipline, so don't interfere unless Tiger gets rough and it's possible that Teddy might really get hurt.
    Supervise them when they're together....when you're not around, separate them. They'll be the best of friends in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

hey, yeah i finally found one but i wont keep him for myself. He was supposed to go to my boyfriends mum as a present anyway but we wanted to keep him until it is her birthday but I dont think that will be possible because Tiger and Teddy hates eachother... Means Teddy is hissing at Tiger and Tiger is punching him. It will never work so I get all the cat stuff for Teddy today and we bring him over. I think it is better when he is on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Janine87 it can take weeks (months, but I've always been lucky and it's been two weeks tops) for new cats to get along. Fair enough if you want to give your boyfriend's mum a kitten, but if you're thinking that you'll try again with another kitten and this hissing and smacking won't happen, I can tell you it *always* happens. It's totally normal and natural. It's not them being mean, or nasty, and you should never give out to them for it, especially not at kitten sized.

If you want to try integrating two cats, there are different methods that will give you a high chance of success and a harmonious cat household. Let me know if you're going to try again and I can point you in the direction of tips - because if you manage an introduction properly from the get go, it can run very well indeed.

Advertisement