Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mechanic for classic mercedes

Options
  • 30-06-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I have a 1976 450SL mercedes. Sadly I have to sell it as I cannot afford to keep it. It stopped working a couple of weeks ago and I need someone with knowledge in this type of car to sort out some of the bugs. It has been running very well up to this.
    I would appreciate if anyone has suggestions of someone that might see the car and carry out work at a reasonable rate as I cannot afford dealer prices.
    Thanks,
    Work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

hey work

where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

If you're in the dublin/wicklow area, i can highly recommend Benjamin Lichtenberg at http://lichtenberg-classics.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I forgot to mention I am in south dublin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's a chap in Monkstown that deals with old mercs in this garage - though I only mention it because the location might be handy to you.

I had him take a look at an issue I had and got the impression he was very choosy about what he'd agree to work on. Wasn't interested in sorting out any minor issues. Claimed he didn't see a suspected fuel leak despite me finding fuel squirting out all over the manifold when I went looking myself.

You might have better luck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Dades wrote: »
    There's a chap in Monkstown that deals with old mercs in this garage - though I only mention it because the location might be handy to you.

I had him take a look at an issue I had and got the impression he was very choosy about what he'd agree to work on. Wasn't interested in sorting out any minor issues. Claimed he didn't see a suspected fuel leak despite me finding fuel squirting out all over the manifold when I went looking myself.

You might have better luck. :D
    I've had one or two dealings with Coyles, wouldn't recommend them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

try john mc cabe,behind the golden ball in kilternan, he has probably forgotton more than the [experts] will ever know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

dutchcat wrote: »
    he has probably forgotton more than the [experts] will ever know
    He sounds even worse than my guy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

he is really very good , and reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Sorry to hear about your sitch.

Terry Jackson in Shankill - but be prepared to pay a quid or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Thanks for the help so far. Dutchcat do you have a contact for John McCabe? Anyone any thoughts on Greenmount motors Harolds X, I see they were recommended before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Greenmount i'd start with.Sean Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

biggus wrote: »
    Greenmount i'd start with.Sean Murphy

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

+2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

tom Joyce ETS Nth Richmond St. Tom knows his stuff with old mercs and has worked on the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭123 man

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your sitch.

Terry Jackson in Shankill - but be prepared to pay a quid or two.
    i hear terry jackson let his top man go this week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nightsky14

Hi all 9 years on since first post I hope someone can help me out here.I've mercedes E 190 year 91.Brock down last week and my local garage can't figure out what's wrong(I was told week later)I wonder if anyone can recommend mechanic that knows those cars well and that he's reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi

first things first and then we can help

1. where are you located

2. what model of 190 ( petrol or diesel _)

3. what engine size

4. whats the nature of the problem

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nightsky14

Hi sorry first time bit all over the place.I'm north side,have 1.8 petrol 190 e. Thanks for responding so quick.I just got the car from garage (they must of read my post😊)they said carburettor was clogged up and they changed injection filter.All that 500€.I would still like to know good mechanic for future re.
    THANKS AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭v240gltse

jesus thats a bit steep 500e to change a filter !!!! . Dont know anyone on the northside but iam sure another board member will have a contact for you

regards

brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

bit far away from you, but no harm in giving him a ring. Eric Norton based between Edworthstown and Ballinalee in Longford. Dubliner relocated to Longford but often in the city . Mercedes garage trained and knows his way around them. A good few older models for sale and breaking as well. Looks after a 123 ce of mine whenever it needs anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If the moderators will allow, and since you did ask for someone on the Northside, I run BenzWorkShop based in Donabate. Let me know if I can help in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

MercMad wrote: »
    If the moderators will allow, and since you did ask for someone on the Northside, I run BenzWorkShop based in Donabate. Let me know if I can help in the future.

Oh I'm only getting the business name now :)

Advertisement