Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Wireless routers

Options
  • 30-06-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I have a wireless asdl gateway at one end of my house but the wifi doesn't cover all of the house, so i have a cat5 cable running up into one of two network ports on my pc, Would i be able to use another wifi router on the other network port to share the the net coming up the cable throufh that router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Sweet thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

hmmmm...not necessarily. Unless you have ICS (internet connection sharing) enabled on your PC, the other network card in your PC will be "deaf and dumb" as regards Internet signal. If you were to go down the ICS route, your PC will have to be powered on all the time to pass bandwidth to the new wireless box.

A much simpler approach would be:

Buy a small network switch (5 or 8 port...cheap as chips nowadays)

Connect the CAT5 cable link coming from the ADSL box into the new switch

Connect a CAT5 cable from the new switch into your PC to get it online

Connect a "as long as needed" CAT5 cable into your new wireless router/access point and locate as needed for optimal signal

Ensure that the new wireless access point is on the same local ip range as your ADSL box and give it an IP that is not in use or is outside your DHCP pool of addresses.

The above might sound like alot of work, but it's very quick and easy to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Advertisement