Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeronautical engineering

• 01-07-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi everyone.
    Have a bit of a problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    I am considering going back to college.
    My first course was in law and as it turns out I hated it, definitely not for me.
    I have been away from college for a number of years and am strongly considering going back for aeronautical engineering.

2 problems:

-Advanced maths
    -" " Physics

Never have been my best subjects and considering how long i've been away from the books i'm worried!

Need advice am I waisting my time?:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Cool. I'm going for this course as well. I was at an information evening last week about engineering in UL. The consensus is that if you got the required C3 in LC Maths HL, you should have no problem. 1st year is apparently similar to LC standard and is used to get everyone to the same standard. Physics is not a requirement so it will be taught with people with no knowledge in mind, same goes for chemistry.

They also have "drop-in" centres if you are struggling at any stage and they will give you free one-to-one tuition on whatever topic you are stuck on.

I wouldn't worry about it, yet...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

any idea what job you want at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I have some great friends going into 4th year Aero Eng.
    Most of them have QCA's above 3.6 as well :eek:
    Its a tough course, but the classes are usually all good friends due to the workload associated with it, and their appears to be good comradry.

As for the maths, I have seen some of it, and cos I didnt do Higher level maths for the LC, or even a high standard of maths in college here, meant I hadnt a clue, but as the previous poster said, higher level LC will get you through a fair bit I'd say, and UL offers drop-in centres.

On the job front, on co-op, the lads jobs varied from wokring the Singapore Airlines, Airbus in Toulouse, Irish Aircorp in Naas iirc, etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I've just finished Mech Eng and we bascially shared all but 1 or 2 modules with the Aeros for the first 2 years - i did LC HL maths and got a B2 and HL chemistry and got a A2. We were told that the first year is a 'catch-up' year for people without certain subjects too, such as physics, but to be honest found the engineering mechanics 1&2 modules tough. I did alot of extra study on mechanics from LC physics books becasue what was being covered wasnt enough to fully grasp it and wasnt started at a basic level. Saying that though, the Chemistry module was a breeze but i didnt need any chemistry again until the first semester of 4th year. The Maths in first year starts off at LC HL standard for the first half of each semester but gets more advanced for the rest. Semester 1 covers differentiation and semester 2 is integration. The remaining maths modules are all above LC HL standard. By the time you get to third and fourth year all modules include some form of maths.
    OP I think that if you have an ok knowledge of maths and keep on top of things you shouldnt have much of a problem as soon as you get into it, ive found aswell that mature students seem to be very motivated when it comes to study. The Maths Learning Centre is a great service aswell with specfic time slots for each module and one-to-one tutors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

cgan086 wrote: »
    any idea what job you want at the end?

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...:pac:

Anything in engineering anywhere in the world really, I know of a few people that did it and are working for british aerospace in england. Something like that maybe, for a few years, maybe do a post-grad.

Then after I have loads of money saved I may start to look at flight training:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement