Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Army to launch recruitment campaign in Republic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

How does this non-issue affect Ireland in any way shape or form?

How doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Jim236 wrote: »
    How doesn't it?

OK, It does, but positively.

One person goes to the British Army, they leave their Job, someone gets off the dole queue when they take that job.

It doesn't affect the Defence Forces because the Defence Forces are not recruiting.

Also, if you are saying it does affect the Country, maybe you should be the one to justify your Bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

gatecrash wrote: »
    And anyone who reads this forum will know TomRooney and treat his posts with the attention they deserve..........

My own opinion is his posts deserve none.. :)

Oh the artillery man come "Continuity IRA" is YOUR legitimate government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

after college thinking of joining DF but if their not recruiting ill probly join The British army

bit more dangerous but ...

or the french foreign legion... but dont know french :/

OK, It does, but positively.

One person goes to the British Army, they leave their Job, someone gets off the dole queue when they take that job.

Whatever about it helping to reduce dole queues, anyone who joins the BA won't be living in Ireland and won't be contributing to the Irish economy. I don't really see how encouraging emigration to other countries to join their armies can be positive for Ireland.
    Also, if you are saying it does affect the Country, maybe you should be the one to justify your Bull.

It effects the country because a foreign force is plannng to actively recruit here, which is pretty much what this topic is, or at least should be, about. Thats not bullsh*t.

I really don't get your issue here. Are you against topics relating to foreign armies being discussed here? If not, why are you trying to pick an arguement with what I said above?

I don't agree, not everyone that would join the BA would have had a job, which is the case for about 12% of the country now. So there is no guaranteed benefit to the Irish taxpayer in terms of less dole payouts, but equally the person who gained employment with the BA won't be living in Ireland and won't be contributing to the Irish economy, so even if they did leave a job for someone else to take, the unemployment rate hasn't changed.

It effects the country because a foreign force is plannng to actively recruit here, which is pretty much what this topic is, or at least should be, about. Thats not bullsh*t.

I really don't get your issue here. Are you against topics relating to foreign armies being discussed here? If not, why are you trying to pick an arguement with what I said above?

On your first point, your logic is highly flawed. If the person who joins didn't have a job then chances are they are on the dole, which still gets them off the dole queue.

Tom Brady is a numpty, there is no real or official plan. Yes they may aim ads towards irish regiments, but they will not be running ads anywhere in Ireland. Simple as. He is a scare mongering idiot.

I am for all militarys being discussed, in fact I wouldn't mind if lads from every country gave a good run down of their own militaries. I am pro-discussion of all legal militaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

and won't be contributing to the Irish economy,
    So some fat cat can't squander their money away, sounds like a good thing to me.
    And since Irish people can't join the Irish army for the next....how many years? Why the hell shouldn't they join the British one?
    Jim236 wrote:
    so even if they did leave a job for someone else to take, the unemployment rate hasn't changed, and it has no effect on our economy, so for the sake of 30 people joining the BA who won't necessarily have been jobless, theres no positive effect to Ireland in any way.
    '30' Irish people who wanted to be soldiers, can do so.
    Or better still, 30 people who wanted jobs, could have jobs.

Jim236 wrote:
    I don't understand the effect that some say this will have on this country, they're not being recruited to invade Ireland again, and since the Irish army has decided it doesn't want anybody for the time being, I don't see it effecting this country.

'Sorry lad you can't join the defence forces, come back in a few years. But in the mean time, don't even think about joining a foreign force.'
    Sounds typically Irish to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Personally I would not join the Bristish army (better the French or US) but if a young man does join them I wish him the best of luck, (if he can't join the irish one) one could do worse in life.

Look if someone wants to join the British Army, or any other foreign army, off with ya, thats your business. But I don't buy the arguement it would have a positive effect on Ireland in any way. I have my own personal opinions on the British Army and wouldn't join them because of that, but I wouldn't try stop anyone else from joining, just don't try to bullsh*t that you're doing some service to the country or having a positive effect by emigrating to join a foreign army.

• Advertisement

Look if someone wants to join the British Army, or any other foreign army, off with ya, thats your business. But I don't buy the arguement it would have a positive effect on Ireland in any way. I have my own personal opinions on the British Army and wouldn't join them because of that, but I wouldn't try stop anyone else from joining, just don't try to bullsh*t that you're doing some service to the country or having a positive effect by emigrating to join a foreign army.

Noone said it had any effect on the country until you brought it up.

Personally I don't think it has a positive or negative affect on the country at all, but you tried to paint it as having a negative effect so I showed a small positive.

Simple as, getting one person off the dole is a positive thing for this country, no matter how it's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Jim236, I can see where your coming from, i really can and believe it or not, that goes for a lot of the others here, McM16 etc. Thing is, they don't need to launch a "supposed" recruitment campaign really do they? Its all over the bloody place isn't it? Its on the WWW, Sky, etc. The media coverage of the recent campaigns is all over the place, including here in the Republic by RTE. It was only recently that nationwide did a slot on Irishmen in the BA, am I right?

All that aside, Irishmen from the North and South have been joining Foreign Armies for generations have they not? And not just the British Army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

One should be looking out for himself and his family first and foremost.When you are on the dole,you should do what ever possible to get off the dole,even if that includes joining the BA.Its a duty of care towards yourself,not your country,because at the end of the day your country dosent give a flying f**k if you are on the dole the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Personally I would not join the Bristish army (better the French or US) but if a young man does join them I wish him the best of luck, (if he can't join the irish one) one could do worse in life.
    dont speak french :(

its a matter of pay and country to live in after that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

EU army FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I helped the BA in the North recruit people from the South and I used this very Forum, maybe I shouldnt have. Fact is if you buy a FHM mag in Dublin you will see a BA advert and have done for years , as well as the SUN newspaper etc.

This is a Military Forum I see no issue with any military input from any source. The PDF can no longer facilitate the wishes of Irish Young men and women to serve in the armed forces, so its only natural they join foreign forces. Since we are a neutral country we have no enemies hence the could join the Taliban if they wished. The only armed force the state would not approve of is our own local Paramilitarys.

I once asked the Irish embassy what would happen if all irish nationals would have to be extracted from an african country by military intervention. His reply was instant "Oh we would go with the Brits".

After Sept 11th who overflew Dublin ...The RAF.

If we had the idea not to be a neutral country who would be our closest Military partner ze f**king Germans? I think not.

However dont let that stop some of you charging at windmills...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I helped the BA in the North recruit people from the South and I used this very Forum, maybe I shouldnt have. Fact is if you buy a FHM mag in Dublin you will see a BA advert and have done for years , as well as the SUN newspaper etc.

This is a Military Forum I see no issue with any military input from any source. The PDF can no longer facilitate the wishes of Irish Young men and women to serve in the armed forces, so its only natural they join foreign forces. Since we are a neutral country we have no enemies hence the could join the Taliban if they wished. The only armed force the state would not approve of is our own local Paramilitarys.

I once asked the Irish embassy what would happen if all irish nationals would have to be extracted from an african country by military intervention. His reply was instant "Oh we would go with the Brits".

http://www.dublinmonaghanbombings.org/index2.html

After Sept 11th who overflew Dublin ...The RAF.

If we had the idea not to be a neutral country who would be our closest Military partner ze f**king Germans? I think not.

However dont let that stop some of you charging at windmills...
    I would have thought that if Irish nationals would have to be extracted from an African country by military intervention it would be done through the usual channels of the UN/EU and this backward little island wouldn't have to go pleading to our former mighty colonial masters to go bearing the white mans burden for us. Indeed since the Irish army have built up a fair amount of experience in African hot spots such as Liberia, Dafur, Chad with helicopter support etc been supplied by the French etc, I think we'd be quite capable of handling it ourselves and wouldn't need her majesty's superheros to go digging us out - as much as some on this forum would like ;)

Yes the royal air farce did over fly Dublin on the 11th of Sept. But that's not the only time britian has been invovled in military operations and Dublin. They were also invovled in the Dublin bombings in 1974, the largest murder in the history of the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

McArmalite wrote: »
    I would have thought that if Irish nationals would have to be extracted from an African country by military intervention it would be done through the usual channels of the UN/EU and this backward little island wouldn't have to go pleading to our former mighty colonial masters to go bearing the white mans burden for us. Indeed since the Irish army have built up a fair amount of experience in African hot spots such as Liberia, Dafur, Chad with helicopter support etc been supplied by the French etc, I think we'd be quite capable of handling it ourselves and wouldn't need her majesty's superheros to go digging us out - as much as some on this forum would like ;)

Yes the royal air farce did over fly Dublin on the 11th of Sept. But that's not the only time britian has been invovled in military operations and Dublin. They were also invovled in the Dublin bombings in 1974, the largest murder in the history of the state.

McArmalite, your opinions are not grounded in reality. The EU at present has no major expeditionary capabilities of its own, most of its forces are unable to be deployed outside Europe - the only forces within the EU able to do a snatch and grab evacuation of citizens are the "dastardly" Brits and the French. By the way I take it the french are ok in your book, as for whatever nasty business they got up to elsewhere they didn't do it against white catholic irish people right?

I also suggest you've absolutely no idea about the way the UN works either in terms of the theoretical way it puts a force together under a UN charter mission, and in addition the actual way it works with stalling tactics used at every opportunity of someone takes the huff and doesn't approve of the resolution even if it gets passed.

Whilst the average Irish Private/Gunner/Trooper might be quite good when stacked up against the international competition, pray tell, how on earth are they going to get to their destination? We have no military troop carrying aircraft or naval landing craft that would get our forces to any place outside of the EU. Furthermore what troops would be available. If the rumours are true then we're due to loose a brigade from the PDF - one would be based overseas with the UN/EU and another at home training, recruiting etc, where would the spare and "ready to go" troops and equipment come from? We are already at the threshold of having a force for minimum credible deterrence, never mind expeditionary capability. Hence we would have to rely on others. Of course you could ask the french for assistance and add a language barrier to operations for the sake of appeasing a bunch of crude ethnonationalist brit bashers, dedicated republican community activists in the population, or we could simply ask for support from a country that has the capabilities and shares a common language. That means the "'orrible" brit or yankee imperialist dogs, "may allah and the bearded one (gerry) roast their stomachs in the fires of hell".:D

Oh look windmills ....:rolleyes:

neilled wrote: »
    McArmalite, your opinions are not grounded in reality. The EU at present has no major expeditionary capabilities of its own, most of its forces are unable to be deployed outside Europe - the only forces within the EU able to do a snatch and grab evacuation of citizens are the "dastardly" Brits and the French. By the way I take it the french are ok in your book, as for whatever nasty business they got up to elsewhere they didn't do it against white catholic irish people right?

I also suggest you've absolutely no idea about the way the UN works either in terms of the theoretical way it puts a force together under a UN charter mission, and in addition the actual way it works with stalling tactics used at every opportunity of someone takes the huff and doesn't approve of the resolution even if it gets passed.

Whilst the average Irish Private/Gunner/Trooper might be quite good when stacked up against the international competition, pray tell, how on earth are they going to get to their destination? We have no military troop carrying aircraft or naval landing craft that would get our forces to any place outside of the EU. Furthermore what troops would be available. We are already at the threshold of having a force for minimum credible deterrence, never mind expeditionary capability. Hence we would have to rely on others. Of course you could ask the french for assistance and add a language barrier to operations for the sake of appeasing a bunch of crude ethnonationalist brit bashers, dedicated republican community activists in the population, or we could simply ask for support from a country that has the capabilities and shares a common language. That means the "'orrible" brit or yankee imperialist dogs, "may allah and the bearded one (gerry) roast their stomachs in the fires of hell".:D
    I cannot go into the foreign policies of every country in the world, but I will be sharply critical of the one that has murdered countless Irish people and is still occupying six of our counties.

" how on earth are they going to get to their destination?....Of course you could ask the french for assistance and add a language barrier " Been already metioned how we get air support etc in Liberia, Cahd, Dafur. We seem to be able to overcome the language barrier there ?

"may allah and the bearded one (gerry) roast their stomachs in the fires of hell" You must have been listening to one of Paisley's speeches ?

Oh look windmills ....:rolleyes:
    Appologies for having a belief in our own capabilites and disputing that we need your superheros from our former mighty colonial masters to go bearing the white mans burden for us. It's hard to believe this is an IRISH discussion forum sometimes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

The british army has always recruited IRISH nationals but DO NOT advertise directly in the republic.

British news papers and magazines which are bought by irish citizens contain advertisements - complain to the distributers or the magazines themselves. nothing against the law in it though.

I think they offer a really good alternative to - oh wait, there is no alternative to anyone looking for a career in military.

FINALLY...

Can people stop posting articles containing the words - we are neutral - and the like PLEASE.

WE ARE NOT NEUTRAL, NEVER HAVE BEEN AND WONT BE WITHOUT A REFERENDUM AND CANT AFFORD IT FISCALLY

sorry for shouting but we aren't neutral, go educate yourself before you spout such untruths in a military OR political forum.

We have the loosest definition of a fence sittingly - non constitutional - quasi - non-alignment of any country in the developed world.

Read our constitution and tell me where it says we are neutral.

look at examples of neutral countries and show me one which we are like.

we have a foreign policy of non involvement on a case by case basis all wrapped up neatly with the triple lock mechanism and that's as close as you'll get to it in Ireland.

Oh the Govt don't like to mention this and they love that ordinary joe soaps go around posting misinformed muck like "we are neutral" no the web, but the facts are there for everyone to see with VERY little digging.

Appologies for having a belief in our own capabilites and disputing that we need your superheros from our former mighty colonial masters to go bearing the white mans burden for us. It's hard to believe this is an IRISH discussion forum sometimes :rolleyes:

It's on the Internet, the one "place" in the world where there are no real countries. For all you know I would be from Chile, anyone can use this site, so it is not specifically for Irish Discussion, it is simply aimed towards it, with nothing stating that discussion of foreign places is banned.

If some Irish person was in need of evacuation it is the British who do it. In fact it is advised that if you are travelling to any country with no Irish Embassy that you contact the British Embassy that is closest to tell them you are there. They are our closest neighbours, our trading partners and for all intents and purposes our big brother. We rely on them for alot, they ask for nothing in return.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I helped the BA in the North recruit people from the South and I used this very Forum, maybe I shouldnt have.

Boards.ie is not here for you to recruit for the British Army. Or any other army for that matter.
    If I find out you, or anyone else does this again, I will perma site ban.

If the members of this forum see this happening, please report the post so Mods can take care of it.

I do not equate being Irish to being anti-British.

I cannot go into the foreign policies of every country in the world, but I will be sharply critical of the one that has murdered countless Irish people and is still occupying six of our counties.

" how on earth are they going to get to their destination?....Of course you could ask the french for assistance and add a language barrier " Been already metioned how we get air support etc in Liberia, Cahd, Dafur. We seem to be able to overcome the language barrier there ?

"may allah and the bearded one (gerry) roast their stomachs in the fires of hell" You must have been listening to one of Paisley's speeches ?

Its occupying nothing articles 2 and 3 are gone, voted out of existence in the GFA. Quite frankly they're occupying nothing - we have a political process in place that will deal with the constitutional situation but for the mean time I'm quite happy being "occupied" with the free education that was provided for me, as well as being oppressed by free healthcare that is being provided by the NHS.

Liberia and Chad were put together with months and months of planning with an orderly arrival into the theatre with no objections from the locals, (in fact in the case of Liberia the arrival of UN forces was actively welcomed by the population) with each nation running a separate sector of operations and reporting to a multinational command structure - not a hastily thrown together adhoc plan that might involved forced entry and charging off ramp of a landing craft or transport aircraft together into hostile fire.

In such events, it would be highly advantageous for troops of all ranks to be able to communicate with each other if things went to crap, hence collaboration with the UK or US more logical, even if it does upset people who are forced to subvert everything to their political ideology. The fact that political ideology would be put before operational concerns says an awful lot about the reality distortion field that some people live in.

I'm not sure where your getting Darfur from because there are no Irish Forces in place there, the only international forces in place are the AU who are underfunded, undermanned, under-quipped and for the most part ineffective. Air support in those cases has been under "regular" conditions lifting things, dropping them off doing taxiing really, as oppossed to during the "fog of war" with people shooting at you where often even forces of the same nationality routinely balls it up when trying to get air support.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Forward air controlling with multinational forces is done using english.

english is the main language used in almost all civilian and military aircraft navigation, control and flight.

Also whos to say our personel havent been on language courses before the deployment and learned french!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

shezer wrote: »
    I would say that SKY television is doing all this recruitment at the moment.Although the british army dont have people physically south of ireland they do have TV ads and internet doing most recruitment work.Closest barracks is portadown which is a fair distance to travel for an interview especially if your from munster.I dont agree with what was said above in 'no discussion on joining foreign military'.Britain is in the EU and the army is just a career so it would be unfair to deny an individual the right to talk about a possible career in another EU country.I couldnt see a soccer forum stopping its members talking about trying to play for Liverpool,united..etc.

Also, boards.ie presumably represents the whole of Ireland, part of which is in the UK. Hence the BA is not foreign.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Boards.ie is not here for you to recruit for the British Army. Or any other army for that matter.
    If I find out you, or anyone else does this again, I will perma site ban.

Damn my elborate plan is in ruins :)

On a serious note I took Hagars feedback on it at the time and I have not posted any such matieral since so you can rest assured I wont be.

I do have a question but it probably better of left in Feedback.

neilled wrote: »
    Its occupying nothing articles 2 and 3 are gone, voted out of existence in the GFA. Quite frankly they're occupying nothing - we have a political process in place that will deal with the constitutional situation but for the mean time I'm quite happy being "occupied" with the free education that was provided for me, as well as being oppressed by free healthcare that is being provided by the NHS.
    Well if we start arguing about the GFA, I'm sure the mods will be on giving us warning etc as it's very political. You may be quite happily occupied in return for the crumbs that fall from the table like the NHS but don't tell me your representative of the vast majority of the nationalists in the six counties. Were you or some of your family members in some of the british forces during the troubles ?? Or was it just a cosy job with the Northern Ireland Office ??
    Liberia and Chad were put together with months and months of planning with an orderly arrival into the theatre with no objections from the locals, (in fact in the case of Liberia the arrival of UN forces was actively welcomed by the population) with each nation running a separate sector of operations and reporting to a multinational command structure - not a hastily thrown together adhoc plan that might involved forced entry and charging off ramp of a landing craft or transport aircraft together into hostile fire.
    But ofcourse, poor old Paddy wouldn't be able to do it, I mean wouldn't it be crazy to think that anyone could match the self declared brillance like the SAS such as Chris Ryan, Andy McNabb, Captain Nairac, etc
    In such events, it would be highly advantageous for troops of all ranks to be able to communicate with each other if things went to crap, hence collaboration with the UK or US more logical, even if it does upset people who are forced to subvert everything to their political ideology. The fact that political ideology would be put before operational concerns says an awful lot about the reality distortion field that some people live in.
    It may be advantagous if all speak the same language, but didn't the Allies do all right in WW2 ??
    I'm not sure where your getting Darfur from because there are no Irish Forces in place there,
    450 Irish soldiers were sent there, including 50 Rangers http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0221/chad.html?rss
    the only international forces in place are the AU who are underfunded, undermanned, under-quipped and for the most part ineffective. Air support in those cases has been under "regular" conditions lifting things, dropping them off doing taxiing really, as oppossed to during the "fog of war" with people shooting at you where often even forces of the same nationality routinely balls it up when trying to get air support.
    So in your book countries that have different languages spoken in them like Canada are militarily non entity's ?

Richard wrote: »
    Also, boards.ie presumably represents the whole of Ireland, part of which is in the UK. Hence the BA is not foreign.
    And the earth is flat.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Advertisement

450 Irish soldiers were sent there, including 50 Rangers http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0221/chad.html?rss

Eh, did you read that article? They are in CHAD. Not Darfur Different country. Kinda like Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Eh, did you read that article? They are in CHAD. Not Darfur Different country. Kinda like Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
    Ok mistake accepted. " Irish troops to keep peace in Darfur for UN...... Up to 200 Irish soldiers would join the newly proposed UN multi-national force to a region of Africa " http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/aug/05/sudan.henrymcdonald

Ok mistake accepted. " Irish troops to keep peace in Darfur for UN...... Up to 200 Irish soldiers would join the newly proposed UN multi-national force to a region of Africa " http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/aug/05/sudan.henrymcdonald

That Article is nearly 2 years old and it never happened then. the Irish are in Chad only. Where is this "Up to" coming from there are over 400 soldiers there.

That Article is nearly 2 years old and it never happened then. the Irish are in Chad only. Where is this "Up to" coming from there are over 400 soldiers there.
    The article mentions 200 soldiers not 400, but maybe you could email the writer Henry MCDonald, though admittingly McDonald can be a bit of a sensationalist.

Well if we start arguing about the GFA, I'm sure the mods will be on giving us warning etc as it's very political. You may be quite happily occupied in return for the crumbs that fall from the table like the NHS but don't tell me your representative of the vast majority of the nationalists in the six counties. Were you or some of your family members in some of the british forces during the troubles ?? Or was it just a cosy job with the Northern Ireland Office ??

But ofcourse, poor old Paddy wouldn't be able to do it, I mean wouldn't it be crazy to think that anyone could match the self declared brillance like the SAS such as Chris Ryan, Andy McNabb, Captain Nairac, etc

It may be advantagous if all speak the same language, but didn't the Allies do all right in WW2 ??

So in your book countries that have different languages spoken in them like Canada are militarily non entity's ?

The thing is I'm not an nationalist and have never claimed to represent anyone but myself - I'm a constructavist in my views on nationality, states and ethnicity, things I view as fluid concepts that evolve and change over time. I'm not constrained by the need to subject my entire world view to a warped ideology as is the case with nationalists, republicans, loyalist and unionists. Distorting reality and claiming to represent the true will of the people whether they vote for you or not is for republicans. I never had any members of family serving in the crown forces unless you go go way way back to a distant ancestor in the RIC, indeed they were a mix of old school nationalists. Of course I've made my own mind up and what my ancestors done has little relevance to my views and opinions, I'm not a sheep who votes for a party simply because my auld pair happen to do so. No job at the NIO either I'm afraid, although I don't think you have any business asking.

Regarding your point about "poor old paddy" which were your words not mine, I have no doubt Irish troops are well trained professionals and interviews by commanders from various UN forces they've served under serves testimony to their professionalism.

However as I've stated earlier, they are not capable of deploying on their own without assistance because they simply down now have the the equipment such as long range aircraft, landing craft etc, but also the skills that are required to operate them that can only be really developed and maintained if you have the equipment in the first place. This isn't down to the men and women serving, but the lack of political will to shell out the cash to buy, maintain and train for such operations. Simply "believing" and wanting of have pride in the Defence Forces (regarded by republicans as misinformed free staters at best, traitors and quislings at worst)
    is not enough to magic equipment and men trained to operate from them.

None of the individuals you have mentioned are in any of my posts, why you have raised them I cannot understand, unless you have an obsessive dislike of the individuals in question that you need to get out of your system at every oppertunity.

At a very basic level its this simple - the UK and France are the two member states of the EU that have the capability to deploy troops rapidly outside the EU with a minimum of preparation, having the equipment and number of troops on standby to do so. Of those two, the UK arguably is much better configured to do so, having a better range of transport aircraft and ships than the french, who will catch up in the first department when the Airbus A400m eventually enters service some years down the line.

I regard your point about the allies as rather irrelevant. Troops hastily thrown together (battle of france) without prolonged training together tended to do rather poorly, whilst latter in the war with prolonged training together tended to do rather well. Regarding your point about the Canadians, you would do well to read "shake hands with the devil" by Romeo Daillaire who was the commander of the ill fated UNAMIR mission. In it he also talks about his earlier career and about the disaster on the canadian armies insistence in doing everything in english and mentions the major improvements in the performance of the artillery regiment he served with when they finally got to translate manuals, commands, the whole lot into french. Basically things went alot more efficiently when his Quebecois unit was speaking its native tongue as opposed to trying to do things in a non native one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Overlooking the blood fued thing, look. Britains right next door. Might as well sign up Close To Home. And, you're frequently doing the same variety of UN peacekeeping work, are you not?

The differentiation you really need to make is that you wouldn't be a British Soldier - you would, technically, be a Mercenary. Not quite the same implication as swearing an oath to the Crown, or anything like that.

Overheal wrote: »
    Overlooking the blood fued thing, look. Britains right next door. Might as well sign up Close To Home. And, you're frequently doing the same variety of UN peacekeeping work, are you not?

The differentiation you really need to make is that you wouldn't be a British Soldier - you would, technically, be a Mercenary. Not quite the same implication as swearing an oath to the Crown, or anything like that.

With all due respect what are you smoking ?

The british army is not involved in anything close to peacekeeping in Helmand? Plus you also would be a british Soldier and would not be allowed opt out of swearing allegiance to anything, well you should not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Overheal wrote: »

No, technically you most certainly would not be a mercenary. I'm sure you'd be viewed as a mercenary by all the bar stool shinners though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

concussion wrote: »
    No, technically you most certainly would not be a mercenary. I'm sure you'd be viewed as a mercenary by all the bar stool shinners though.

Mercenary would be incorrect terminology, but any individual from this country who joins the British army would get the same level of respect I would have for a mercenary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Feck sake , the civil war rages on in the internet age ?

Good luck to anyone joining the English British army, I'll tell your mammy you loved her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Forum Charter Ammendment - 15th November 2008 - Amended to disallow recruitment to foreign armies

Is this posting not in conflict with the above?

And the earth is flat.......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Well if you believe that then you'll believe anything.

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Forum Charter Ammendment - 15th November 2008 - Amended to disallow recruitment to foreign armies

The British Army is not foreign to a significant proportion of the population of the island of Ireland who pay taxes (willingly or otherwise) to pay for it.

If boards.ie catered solely for ROI then it wouldn't be an issue but because there are groups for cities and counties in NI turn it should cater for all.

No this is a discussion however heated about the British Army recruiting in Ireland. We are not providing any help to anyone in joining a Armed force.

Hopefull one day there will be a drive to recruit in Ireland by the PDF again. Till that time people wishing to have a Military career will have to look elsewhere.

So if I sent a PM - you would not provide information on recruitment?
    I suppose Shezers tip that Portadown is the closest barracks for recruitment is not a tip.

The point about adverts in FHM et al, not to mention that bastion of decency the Sun is moot.
    They are UK publications or UK owned publications.
    This site, however, is hosted in the Republic of Ireland.

And I for one think that publicising the desire of UK forces to recruit more people from the Republic is is activly promoting recruitment.

• Advertisement

I suppose Shezers tip that Portadown is the closest barracks for recruitment is not a tip.

The point about adverts in FHM et al, not to mention that bastion of decency the Sun is moot.
    They are UK publications or UK owned publications.
    This site, however, is hosted in the Republic of Ireland.

And I for one think that publicising the desire of UK forces to recruit more people from the Republic is is activly promoting recruitment.

The thread you are refering to is dead and closed and quite frankly you should not be bringing it up. Its not smart and in your case self defeating to your piont.

Plus the location of a barracks in NI is no great help to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

PMs are outside the jurisdiction of the Military forum charter. Unless there's a site wide rule banning it, a PM can discuss anything.

I believe Makitomi(or whatever he is calling himself these days:D) commented on this already. He said something along the lines of No Recruitment but discussion is OK, this is a discussion board.

He usually doesn't take kindly to Backseat modding.

If he left this thread open, that is his and Pocc's decision.

I believe Makitomi(or whatever he is calling himself these days:D)
    He usually doesn't take kindly to Backseat modding.

Dude, I asked a question in relation to the charter, not a mod, dont want to be a mod here - I would not consider myself impartial enough.

If discussing recruitment is not recruiting, then asking a question in relation to the charter is not back seat modding

It's on the Internet, the one "place" in the world where there are no real countries. For all you know I would be from Chile, anyone can use this site, so it is not specifically for Irish Discussion, it is simply aimed towards it, with nothing stating that discussion of foreign places is banned.

If some Irish person was in need of evacuation it is the British who do it. In fact it is advised that if you are travelling to any country with no Irish Embassy that you contact the British Embassy that is closest to tell them you are there. They are our closest neighbours, our trading partners and for all intents and purposes our big brother. We rely on them for alot, they ask for nothing in return.
    " They are our closest neighbours, our trading partners and for all intents and purposes our big brother. " Do you post from a brit recruitment office or the foreign office or something ? britian, our lovely and caring brother, bearing the white man's burden and getting little thanks from the begrudging Paddy's. Are you possibly you Kevin Meyers, or Eoghan Harris by any chance ?

" We rely on them for alot, they ask for nothing in return. ". Oh they certainly got plenty in return. They enjoyed 100% support from the govt. in Dublin during the troubles, apart from the token expression of " shock " and " concern " at murders, collusion etc The fact that the biggest murder in the history of the state in Dublin 1974 was closed down after just one month when it was brought to the attention of the Cosgrave govt. by the army and the guards that they believed the loyalists were incapable of doing it on their own and that the british army helped carry out the atrocity, well it says it all. They they ask for nothing in return indeed :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement