Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever went through tenders for work?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Has anyone on here gone through the available tenders for work, materials online and tried to tender for anything? i.e. setting up a limited company the next day and trying to tendering for the work available.

I was just going though the lists of options there are online for various jobs around NI, I know most of the work goes to well established companies etc but is my idea good?

I saw one opportunity "supply of 200 high vis jackets".
    The rest are mainly construction work.

I am mainly wondering how exactly you start out with a business...

Say I want to build golf courses and i see a few tenders out there, how do i start out from scratch (hypothetical question) with no experience in this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭scull2009

guess thats a no!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

a lot of the time you need to pre-qual for such tenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

scull2009 wrote: »
    Has anyone on here gone through the available tenders for work, materials online and tried to tender for anything? i.e. setting up a limited company the next day and trying to tendering for the work available.

I was just going though the lists of options there are online for various jobs around NI, I know most of the work goes to well established companies etc but is my idea good?

I saw one opportunity "supply of 200 high vis jackets".
    The rest are mainly construction work.

I am mainly wondering how exactly you start out with a business...

Say I want to build golf courses and i see a few tenders out there, how do i start out from scratch (hypothetical question) with no experience in this?

Mostly and depending on the value of the contract you'll need to supply a tax clearance cert, also proof of sufficient funds to undertake the work and maybe a letter from an accountant that you've been in business for X years and submitted accounts for that long..

You're unlikely to get away with registering "johnny's golf development LTD" and tomorrow tendering for a €2M job...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lack of verifiable references will kill you

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

bbam wrote: »
    Mostly and depending on the value of the contract you'll need to supply a tax clearance cert, also proof of sufficient funds to undertake the work and maybe a letter from an accountant that you've been in business for X years and submitted accounts for that long..

You're unlikely to get away with registering "johnny's golf development LTD" and tomorrow tendering for a €2M job...

Yeah generally speaking they wont look at you is you have not been in business for at least three years and have proof of having done similar projects before....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As the OP made his post in 2009 he might now qualify on the 'in business for at least three years' side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Graham wrote: »
    As the OP made his post in 2009 he might now qualify on the 'in business for at least three years' side of things.
    Never copped that at all.... Either that or he has fceked off to Australia :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

He's probably building his 3rd golf-course out there now :D

Advertisement