Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple of Questions

• 01-07-2009 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I have CDM in 1st place in my level 7/6 list as a backup if i don't get my first choice level 8 course so i have a couple of questions:

1. How many places are there on the course?
    2. Are students all together regardless of whether there doing level 7 or level 8 or are they seperated?
    3. If i did it and completed 3 years would i have the option of completing the fourth year like level 8 or is it just 3 years?
    4. Is it fun?
    5. Does anyone know how it compares to the one in ITT Tallaght as i'm not sure which to put down highest?

Thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

HELLO132 wrote: »
    I have CDM in 1st place in my level 7/6 list as a backup if i don't get my first choice level 8 course so i have a couple of questions:

What is CDM?
    2. Are students all together regardless of whether there doing level 7 or level 8 or are they seperated?

Level 7 is for three years. At the end of the three years, you have the option of going on to do a 4th year, which is Level 8. So you won't have Level 7 and Level 8 students in the one class - they are different courses, and different, well, levels.
    3. If i did it and completed 3 years would i have the option of completing the fourth year like level 8 or is it just 3 years?

Without knowing the specifics of this course, generally all courses are three years to Level 7, followed by an extra year to Level 8. However, some degrees are straight 4 years, Level 8.
    4. Is it fun?

Of course it is. It's IT Blanch. :)
    5. Does anyone know how it compares to the one in ITT Tallaght as i'm not sure which to put down highest?

I've lectured in both IT Blanchardstown and IT Tallaght, so post up the details of both course and I'll give you my unbiased opinion. Though bear in mind, I may not have lectured on that specific course.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

Its Creative Digital Media ;)

ITB

Hide-Students will spend their days bringing their ideas to life on the web, on mobile phones, MP3 players, etc. Taking photographs, shooting video, editing music tracks, creating special effects … it’s all in a typical day for a creative digital media student.

The course covers a range of exciting creative skills such as digital filmmaking, video editing and production, music and sound engineering, website design, graphics and animation, gaming and entertainment technologies. If you dream about becoming a website designer, animator, designer or even a general digital media manager, then this is the course for you, especially if you could see yourself running your own business

Hide-Year 1. Semester 1

Visual Language
    Personal Development
    Web Development 1
    Digital Photography
    Introduction to Digital Media

Semester 2.

Human Computer Interaction
    Working in Digital Media
    Web Development 2
    Digital Imaging
    Multimedia Authoring

Year 2. Semester 1

Design Principles and Practice
    Group Project (Phase 1)
    Website Design 1
    Digital Video and Audio 1
    Multimedia Scripting

Year 2. Semester 2

Universal Design
    Group Project (Phase 2)
    Website Design 2
    Digital Video and Audio 2
    Multimedia Systems Development

Year 3. Semester 1

Instructional Design and E-Learning
    Project Management
    Web Applications
    Video Production
    Digital Animation
    Sound Engineering

Semester 2.

Work Experience
    Project Management

Year 4. Semester 1

Digital Media within Society
    Final Year Project (Phase 1)
    Entrepreneurship
    Digital Film-making
    3D Modelling and Animation

Semester 2.

Critical Theory
    Final Year Project (Phase 2)
    Digital Marketing
    Music Technology
    Interactive 3 D Environments

ITT

Hide-This four year Creative Digital Media programme is primarily designed to provide you with the intellectual resources necessary to meet the needs of a rapidly changing media workplace. While we teach media skills and competencies to a high standard, we are also aware that technologies, platforms and industries are constantly evolving and what is required today are graduates who understand that media technologies are simply new tools for expression.

Whatever the medium used, the underlying idea and imaginative treatment of the idea is what is most important. Our approach to teaching technology is based on this assumption and we therefore strive to ensure that you graduate from our programme with a balance of technical expertise, critical awareness and the ability and desire to continue learning as you progress through your professional career.

-Fourth Year - Bachelor Degree (Honours) of Arts – Creative Digital Media
    Semester 8:
    Culture and Technology, Enterprise Development.

Electives:
    Advanced Digital Media Production, Interactive Media: Project, Professional Photographic Practices, Digital Audio Post- Production Techniques

Dissertation.

Semester 7:
    Political Economy, Applied Media Law

Electives
    Digital Media Production, Interactive Media: 3D Modelling, Advanced Photographic Techniques, Digital Audio Production Techniques.

Dissertation

Third Year:
    Semester 6:
    Advanced Media Writing, Project, Digital Video Production, Interactive Development.

Electives:
    Documentary Photography, Radio Programming

Semester 5:
    Screen Studies, Project Management, Advanced Video Production, Interactive Design.

Electives:
    Studio Photography, Advanced Radio Production.

Second Year:
    Semester 4:
    Media Politics, Marketing Communications, Video Production Two, Multimedia Two, Digital Imaging for Photographers (Semester 3 or 4), Audio Design & Production (Semester 3 or 4).

Elecctives:
    A.V. Technology: Design & Philosophy, Language

Semester 3:
    Media Writing, Cultural Studies, Video Production One, Multimedia One, Digital Imaging for Photographers (Semester 3 or 4), Audio Design & Production (Semester 3 or 4)

Electives:
    A.V. Technology: Development, Language

First Year:
    Semester 2:
    Mass Communications, T.V. & Film Studies, T.V. Production Two, Graphic Design, 35mm Photography (Semester 1 or 2), Radio Production (Semester 1 or 2)

Electives:
    A.V. Technology: Infrastrusture, Language

Semester 1:
    Introduction to Media Writing, Media Studies, T.V. Production One, Design Studies, 35mm Photography (Semester 1 or 2), Radio Production (Semester 1 or 2)

Electives:
    A.V. Technology: Foundation, Language

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Not having done the course, My choice would come down to the proximity of the college to my home, trust me living 5 minutes from ITB is very handy for the 4 year's of ly on's.

Also ITB has a great atmosphere and very friendly staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Hi OP,

I'm currently doing this course in ITB and find it very intresting!

There is currently 40+ in our course split into two groups and regardless of Level 7 or 8 we are all mixed in together.

Our first semester involved getting to know Mac computers and their applications as most the video and photography is done through the iLife features,iMovie,iPhoto and we also done so music editing through Garageband(My favorite part of the course!). We done a 2 minute promo clip of the campus and we also made a portfolio for photography( Handy to put on your CV).

Second semester is based around the CS4 applications, Flash, Photoshop and also illustrator, Very handy things to have so if you attend the lectures then you'll know the stuff easly enough!

Most of this year has been mainly Continual Assesment so the work is done through out the year rather than mad exam's at the end,we had four small exams at Christmas and one in May so it's not to bad!

The atmosphere in the course is very joyfull, The lectures are easy going and everyone gets on well.

If you get the offer for the course go for it, It's a completely different experience than anything to do with computer science or them type courses,Less theory and more practical :)

Hope this helps :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cool, this course sounds great, I have Creative Digital Media for ITB down as my 1st choice in both my Level 8 and Level 6/7 sections. Hope I get in:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭nVid

Gonzo wrote: »
    cool, this course sounds great, I have Creative Digital Media for ITB down as my 1st choice in both my Level 8 and Level 6/7 sections. Hope I get in:)

Your from Dunshaughlin, there are more like you already here so you'll be fine.

Advertisement