Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Oz Tax back, anyway to avoid medicare levy???

Options
  • 01-07-2009 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

I am entitled to about $6,900 in tax back when I saw I am an Australian Citizen for tax purposes. However there is a Medicare charge of about $560.

If I say I'm not an Australian citizen for tax purposes, don't have to pay the Medicare allowance, but my tasx back is about $500!

Anybody know if there is a way to ben an Australian for tax purposes but not pay the Medicare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Pay your dues and enjoy your taxback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Why should I pay a medicare levy when i wasn't entitled to the medicare benifits?

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/files/ma_3169_application_for_certification_for_medicare_levy_exemption_purposes_011005.pdf

Thats the form you need to fill out and send to medicare, if anyone else needs it....

Will save you over $500... if you declared yourself as a resident for tax purposes (which you are entitled to do after living there 6 months or more....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I am entitled to about $6,900 in tax back when I saw I am an Australian Citizen for tax purposes. However there is a Medicare charge of about $560.

If I say I'm not an Australian citizen for tax purposes, don't have to pay the Medicare allowance, but my tasx back is about $500!

Anybody know if there is a way to ben an Australian for tax purposes but not pay the Medicare?

For persons from ROI are not entitled to medicare, there is a medicare exemption certificate form that you can complete (see attached). If you are entitled to an exemption certificate you will avoid getting hit for the medicare.

note:
    If you were born in NI you are entitled to medicare even though you could be on an Irish passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Will complete and send this form to get the exemption on my 08/09 tax return.

I did tax returns in 07/08 and 06/07, but didn't claim this exemption, anything I can do in retrospect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

ring the tax office and ask them - you may be entitled to something Derek
    I did it for year 07/08, but not 06/07 - if you find out can you post the result

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    ring the tax office and ask them - you may be entitled to something Derek
    I did it for year 07/08, but not 06/07 - if you find out can you post the result

Was onto the tax office..you have to request an amendment to your previous tax returns: http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/79404.htm

This is the form: http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/2843_07_2006.pdf

Don't think I'll bother, seems like hassle especially since my returns were lodged through third parties

Sent off my form today for my certificate, will let you know how long it takes

last year it took me 6-8 weeks
    also please note if you submit an electronic tax return you don't need to include this, just need to have it in case the tax office request it

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

So Hussey,
    What your saying is go ahead and list the exemption while filling out the form and if they ask for the cert. when they're assessing your claim, apply for the cert then?

Do you need to include the medicare exemption form if you send by post? I'm having trouble doing it electronically as at the last step ,where it tries to verify your identity via bank account that has earned interest (as It's my first time doing it, only way i can validate my identity....)

It says that infromation becomes available throughout the year, but don't know for definite if/when it will become available for me.... So tihnking about printing out and sending off...

Will I need the cert if I do it this way does anyone know?

Also if anyone tried doing it electronically last yr, did they have a similar problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

My poxy accountant never told me this!!! I'm not entitled to medicare, but have just shelled out 1% of my salary for it.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    My poxy accountant never told me this!!! I'm not entitled to medicare, but have just shelled out 1% of my salary for it.

Thats fairly crap you go tot the bother of paying for one and he doesn't know what he's at! Get an excepmtion certificate anyway and I think you can get it back.... not sure, some of the other lads might know more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I worked in Oz from Dec to March and lodged my taxback form with travellersxpress in Sydney in May.Now couple of things,I never got my last payslip as I'd left the job before it was handed out but I've recently found out my mate has it.Travellersxpress have turned out to be the biggest f***ers,asking for an extra 75 dollars to contact my work again( they emailed them to ask for a copy of my payslip,got it but it was deemed un-readable),now they're not replying ny of my emails which I understand if they are busy but since this has been going on since May I woulda thought they woulda tried to email me back when i've wrote to them.

Anyways long story short,do you reckon I should just get my mate to fax over my payslip(im home) and apply myself? Do you's reckon that if travellersxpress have lodged it and I lodge one aswell it'll affect it?

Cheers

Derek B wrote: »
    Sent off my form today for my certificate, will let you know how long it takes

Got the cert yesterday, took 18 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Do you need to include the medicare exemption form if you send by post? I'm having trouble doing it electronically as at the last step ,where it tries to verify your identity via bank account that has earned interest (as It's my first time doing it, only way i can validate my identity....)

It says that infromation becomes available throughout the year, but don't know for definite if/when it will become available for me.... So tihnking about printing out and sending off...

Will I need the cert if I do it this way does anyone know?

Also if anyone tried doing it electronically last yr, did they have a similar problem?

Im having the same problem. My anz bank account has not earned interest and they are questioning it. So when i try to verify it asks for a paye gross amount, i type it in and it cant verify. I think ill just post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

If I lodge my return tomorrow can I claim for all tax paid to yesterday, or only to July 1st? Was thinking of maybe waiting a few months and applying for this if/ when Im on my arse for money and then getting a truly whopper amount, keeps me self controlled :pac:

Secondly, I cant get in contact with an old employer, the government surely have a record of how much tax I paid from that job if I call them and can quote the approx dates? (I only knew them by their first names, it was poxy carnival work, all I could get then, dont know their trading business name)

Thirdly, saw some ad for an Aussie company that can help get any tax back Im owed in Ireland. All I know is my PPS- dont have a clue where my last P45 is. Will this be a problem?

Shane,
    1.you can only get tax paid till July 1st, have to do it next yr for your tax this yr....

2. Mpt sure about this... proabably have a record somewhere!

3. Do not give some company a cut of yr tax!! You can do it online really easy lot easier than getting ozzie tax!). go to revenue.ie you will see a link there for onlineservices or something, should be self obvious...
    Here you enter ur PPs. Doesn't sound like u know ur pin, so if u tick the bos or whatever they will send a pin to ur home address.. Hopefully u've someone there to text/email it to u. U will get that in <5 days. When u have that, log in and it will show how much tax u paid. Should be a button for request balancing statement, it will lodge money directly into ur nominated bank account.

There is no need for these tax back companies!!

I've an appointment with my accountant tomorrow, fingers crossed I do better than last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Shane,
    1.you can only get tax paid till July 1st, have to do it next yr for your tax this yr....

2. Mpt sure about this... proabably have a record somewhere!

3. Do not give some company a cut of yr tax!! You can do it online really easy lot easier than getting ozzie tax!). go to revenue.ie you will see a link there for onlineservices or something, should be self obvious...
    Here you enter ur PPs. Doesn't sound like u know ur pin, so if u tick the bos or whatever they will send a pin to ur home address.. Hopefully u've someone there to text/email it to u. U will get that in <5 days. When u have that, log in and it will show how much tax u paid. Should be a button for request balancing statement, it will lodge money directly into ur nominated bank account.

There is no need for these tax back companies!!

Good man thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Derek B wrote: »
    Got the cert yesterday, took 18 days

Hey Derek,

How did you go about claiming it back, i see earlier in the thread that you wernt gonna bother.

• Advertisement

Hey Derek,

How did you go about claiming it back, i see earlier in the thread that you wernt gonna bother.

Post 4 ...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60945409&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

hussey wrote: »

No my question was specific, He mentioned that he got his tax through 3rd party organisations and I got mine through taxback for 2007 - 2008 so I was wondering can you just send your cert in along with tax amendment form to gov and its job done?

Advertisement